cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

You don't need it.

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from a 15 thousand mile trip from NY to Oregon South to California, Yellowstone Utah and Rt.66,ETC
Not a hint of mechanical trouble either truck or trailer.
I carried with me enough stuff to rebuild both. Didn't touch any of it.
I did pull out the compressor to air up a neighbors tire.

Before leaving I put a new serpentine belt on the Ram 1500
4 new 13" d rated tires and 4 new brake and a new house battery.

We didn't need half the dishes the missus figured,

I learned to love the sound of the truck running 3800 rpm pullin like a freight train. Tow Haul did an admirable job in controlling down hill speeds,used the service brakes very little.

Did'nt make a single reservation and never had a problem finding a place. Combination of Commercial RV parks State Parks forest and blm land.

This ain't rocket science. Quit overthinking it, prepare your equipment and have a good time!
37 REPLIES 37

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't have a sticks & bricks. Not in the US. There is no option to leave anything behind unless it goes into a dumpster.
The advisability of carrying depends on you style of travel. A weekend warrior does not need much when home is not far away. The vacationer, away from home for only a few weeks & never far from a source for parts or a tool, does not need much either.

The land version of the bluewater sailor needs to be prepared. There are plenty places where there is no cell services if you avoid the interstates & even avoid secondary roads out west or in the mountains. Do a trip to Alaska & there are hundreds of miles with no cell service. Next day delivery does not exist.

The savvy traveller carries things like brake pads, filters, belts, extra fluids, stuff that can be used later if not required when you are 47 miles SSE of Nowhere.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
I've learned from years of snowmobiling, maintenance at home goes a long way. id rather fix it in my garage or driveway than on the road. fixing stuff at -10 in the dark snowy wilderness makes you rethink life choices lol.

Most of the issues i've ever run into with any sort of toy stem from neglecting to inspect or maintain it before hand.

Tire blow out? due to the 15yr old dry rotted tires i didn't bother to replace.

Wheel bearing blow out? well.... maybe i should have greased the bearing once or twice in the last 10yrs.

most of the common failures are due to laziness before the trip. sure something uncontrollable pops up sometime but chances are you could have done something ahead of time.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:
If you're not going to carry the tools and equipment necessary to rebuild a nuclear submarine or aircraft carrier, there's no point leaving your driveway. ๐Ÿ™‚

But, what if you have to rebuild a rocket ? Better bring those tools along too.

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a reasonably equipped toolbox since I usually have toys (ATVs, dirt bikes, PWC), and that includes both standard & metric as well as basic electrical.

As for spare parts; serpentine belt, radiator hoses/clamps, fuel filter, radiator cap, gas cap, a piece of PEX tubing and a few Flair (pex) fittings, replacement bulbs,

Fluids: coolant, oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, steering fluid, WD40 & spray silicone.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
The tools I carry are are almost never used on the rig. They get used on the bicycles, the gennies, the grill...
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I cary a large assortment of tools when I travel far with or without the trailer. I have very rarely needed most of the tools for myself, but I rarely get thru a weekend without using my tools to help another camper who was less prepared.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
Veebyes wrote:
Soooooo....you mean I don't need to carry that spare trailer axle around with me?
Just one?

Just one. But for a few years I was carrying around a couple brake drums & brake plates as well. Right now I have spare truck brake pads bought for an Alaskan trip recently. No such thing as next day delivery if you are in the wilds of Canada. No such thing as Autozone anywhere within many days driving either.

The carry my own spares boater in me is still very much alive.

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yup, this topic reminds me of the amount of stuff I took when setting out as a full timer. I had a bunch of tools, misc hardware, plenty of heavy dishes, way more clothing than needed. After the stent as a full timer, I cut way back. Each trip I cut back even further. Now for tools, I keep only very basic tools plus a caulk gun. I cut the kitchen stuff way back. Much less clothing. Very few extras and spares for anything. I have gotten rid of hundreds of pounds of stuff. Life is easier without all of that stuff plus I don't pay the cost of toting it around for tens of thousands of miles.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
Soooooo....you mean I don't need to carry that spare trailer axle around with me?
Just one?

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Serpentine belts seem to last FOREVER. I swapped one on my E150 over 10 years ago and threw the old one in the cubby with the jack because it still looked good. Buy quality : OEM, Dayco or Gates.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
There are a few things you need to take. Oh sure, you can buy stuff on the road, but that's why I own 2 basin wrenches and 3 caulking guns.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If you're not going to carry the tools and equipment necessary to rebuild a nuclear submarine or aircraft carrier, there's no point leaving your driveway. ๐Ÿ™‚

Powertour
Explorer II
Explorer II
naturist wrote:
The Racing Law probably saved you: the only part that will ever break is the one for which you have no spare. Glad you had a great trip.

Nail ---> Head

Better to have it & not need it, then need it & not have it (especially if the subject involves potentially being stranded in the middle of nowhere or along side an insanely busy interstate somewhere)
2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
A post made not too long ago, suggested taking an inventory of how your RV is actually built and bring along only the tools necessary to fix any object in your RV.

X2. This is what I do, and everything I need fits into a $8 tool bag I got from Harbor Freight, other than the tire changing stuff (that I have never used).
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP