Explorer
Which is a better spot new or old Garner? In Texas
3 REPLIES 3

happybooker1
Explorer
Explorer
TXcampingfamily wrote:
Skip Garner, go to Inks Lake.

While I love them both & camp at both numerous times per year -- Garner is my favorite hands down. The water is colder, clearer, and flowing (depending on droughts of course!)

Inks Lake is beautiful in its own right & I love the hiking trails but from May to October the water is like brown warm bath water. (Brown from the decaying vegetation only)

To the OP -- re: Garner. Do you like more quietness or "busy-ness"? OG is harder to get into also but we LOVE the busy-ness!
2008 Tacoma Extended Cab
2009 Keystone Hideout 19FLB
Andersen "No Sway" "No Bounce" WDH

TXcampingfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Skip Garner, go to Inks Lake.
Gin & Mike + 2 TD (tax deductions)
2009 Fleetwood Fiesta Bunkhouse
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on how close you want to be to the action. The Old Garner is down by the paddle boats, dance, hugh tent camping area, etc. This is the choice of many especially with kids.

We stayed in the New Garner section during Spring Break and it was fine for us. Our DD & 6yo DGD stayed with us too. There is still river access and we didn't mind driving to the other area if we wanted to do something. There are tent & RV sites (varied sizes) in the new section, too. Live Oak CG has more trees/shade but we have a 37' fiver and there weren't many choices for site we would have fit into. We stayed in 381 in Rio Frio which was fine for time of year, but in summer it would have been very hot as there was no shade.
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT