cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gettysburg with kids

el_jefe1
Explorer
Explorer
We're on our way to Gettysburg today, I'd like to make it as engaging a trip as possibly for the kids (age range between 1-15). We will do the visitor center and cyclorama, just wondering for those of you who have brought kids to the battlefield - tour or no tour? Self paced or battlefield guide? Any other ideas or suggestions?
2018 Keystone Passport 3290bh
2007 Chevy Express 3500
Me, the Wife, and a whole bunch of kids
3 REPLIES 3

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
It has to be hard for young people to appreciate Gettysburg until they know and understand the importance of the battle and time. Perhaps the museum/visitor center will provide a good experience. Not sure the trip through the battle fields and all the state monuments will be of interest. Expect a lot of questions like Why?
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Keep it light even for the 15 year old with a good tour guide and a short presentation.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

winniman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think small children would get much out of Gettysburg. The older kids might find it moderately interesting. Most kids don't really get into history until they get older. I enjoyed the cyclorama just due to the fact that it is so old. Its like 100 year old 3d. We just did the tour ourselves. You can get an app for your phone, or if you have a vehicle, you can hire a driver for your vehicle that is a tour guide. The museum itself is interesting.