cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

This just makes no sense to me

Gypsy_Soul1
Explorer
Explorer
Why campgrounds want to charge me extra for my two kids to camp with us. What happened to "family" camping :? I'm sure someone can explain this. We have camped in same campgrounds for a while and didn't camp much last year but getting back into it.
28 REPLIES 28

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
PAAK wrote:
First off, I wouldnt pay 61 bucks for a CG site. Here in AK, everything is more expensive than the lower 48, and at most I have paid 40 bucks, plus an additional 2 for our son. I dont mind the fee, its fairly low and the CG are well maintained. Besides, you cant have a camp fire and make smores in a hotel, just sayin

Everything in Southern California is this way. $60 is easily spent. Hell, state parks are $45-$55 a night
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

kcmoedoe
Explorer
Explorer
Bob/Olallawa wrote:
Gypsy Soul wrote:
johnrbd wrote:
The campground owner needs to make a profit to stay in business. Which would you prefer, paying more or closed campground?

We will spend $$$$$ for a rv then don't want to pay for campgounds. There is ALWAYS the local wally world campgrounds (no electricity, no water, no sewer(?) hookups, no pool, no playgound, no shower/bath facilities.

But, there's always BEER readily available.

I understand they need to make money. Just seems wrong to pay $61 a night (full hookups) then have to pay for my two kids( that are part of my family) on top of that. Doesn't seem right. Guess the "true" family campgrounds have left with Elvis ๐Ÿ˜ž

At 61 bucks a night plus kids cost, you must have been in a RV resort instead of a campground. I wouldn't spend 60 bucks a night even if I had a family of ten kids and 4 dogs.
If it cost me 60 bucks to not be next to a family with ten kids and 4 dogs it would be a bargain and money well spent!

4monkeys
Explorer
Explorer
I've found this w/ most private campgrounds. We camp mostly at state parks, etc. They usually have a site maximum of 6 people, and the price is the same if you have 1 or 6.
When we vacation, we are usually going to actually hike in the state park anyways, so it makes sense to stay there anyways. And many of them have Lodges that have arcades & pools, nature centers, some have gem mining and golf courses, mini-golf, tennis/basketball/frisbee golf, all kinds of amenties. Many of them have some programs for the campground or from a naturalist. Usually more stuff than we can get to in one trip.
But, usually there are less full hookup sites.
So I really encourage you to look at some public park campgrounds! I prefer them, personally, and I feel like we get a ton of value for usually $25-$30 a night. Public recreational land is an asset I thank the sweet Lord that we have in this country. I hope we chose to keep them up and running!

tothetrail
Explorer
Explorer
I can see a place like Pismo Coast Village in CA having an extra charge for kids. At least when we were there when I was a kid, there were staffed activities all day long, with fun prizes. I'm sure we got our money's worth if there was an extra charge for us back then. I used that activities schedule as a guide for the whole weekend. Memory games, handball, mini golf, volleyball, and basketball tournaments, scavenger hunts, pie eating, popcorn eating contests,etc. Probably participated in 80% of what was offered, and got soft serve ice cream cones, gift certificates, and all kinds of good stuff for winning and participating every day.

But, when pulling in at night, and leaving the next morning, I'm not quite sure what extra services a kid would be using. I'm pretty sure any extra electricity used would be negligible, as would water.

But today it's so much easier to find reviews and get instant access to prices, so it would seem very easy to avoid a place that charges extra when you'll just be there to sleep.
2003 Foretravel U295
Jennifer

PAAK
Explorer
Explorer
First off, I wouldnt pay 61 bucks for a CG site. Here in AK, everything is more expensive than the lower 48, and at most I have paid 40 bucks, plus an additional 2 for our son. I dont mind the fee, its fairly low and the CG are well maintained. Besides, you cant have a camp fire and make smores in a hotel, just sayin
2011 Ford F-250 6.7L Diesel
2011 Creek Side 23RKS

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
Most everywhere we go I have to pay extra for my grandson and DW's mom when they go with us. I've gotten used to the extra fee but my grandson is my buddy and my MIL loves me so it's no big deal.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
All kids are wild like when I was a kid.
So big a world, so little time to see.

Gypsy_Soul1
Explorer
Explorer
Sticking to the ones we use that DON'T charge for my kids and the rest as Flo from Mel's diner said " kiss my grits" Sure wish my camper would sell so I can buy a living quarter horse trailer. Those camp grounds are WAY more family friendly and we don't have to leave our horses behind

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a RV Resort, not a campground. Our local campground is $16 a night, you can bring in a RV and put up as many as three tents (if you can find the room for it) and they don't care how many kids you bring.

RV parks and resorts, however, tend to price like hotels and cruise ships, although it make more sense for cruise ships because it is a count of "mouths to feed" (which is the Chinese way of counting people).
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Bob/Olallawa wrote:
Gypsy Soul wrote:
johnrbd wrote:
The campground owner needs to make a profit to stay in business. Which would you prefer, paying more or closed campground?

We will spend $$$$$ for a rv then don't want to pay for campgounds. There is ALWAYS the local wally world campgrounds (no electricity, no water, no sewer(?) hookups, no pool, no playgound, no shower/bath facilities.

I understand they need to make money. Just seems wrong to pay $61 a night (full hookups) then have to pay for my two kids( that are part of my family) on top of that. Doesn't seem right. Guess the "true" family campgrounds have left with Elvis ๐Ÿ˜ž

At 61 bucks a night plus kids cost, you must have been in a RV resort instead of a campground. I wouldn't spend 60 bucks a night even if I had a family of ten kids and 4 dogs.

Yup resorts and CG's near an attraction can and DO add all types of extra charges....cause they CAN! :B

Most Regular CG's do not charge extra for kids.

In 6 years on the road I did run across ONE CG that had a posted rate for 2 adults.. being solo I asked if the rate would be half the price for one? All I got was a blank stare from the guy behind the counter. :R

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Tom N wrote:
I really like "ala carte".

-Tom

I'm with you. And not just when it comes to camping. Of course I have never ran into that issue while camping. We only use public campgrounds. Federal, state, and local community parks.

I like the idea of paying for only what I use and not subsidizing what other people use.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Different CGs have different rates, or numbers of people and kids. PirateLand at Myrtle beach, just charged $5.00 per night for an extra car. We had 6 people in the TT.

One CG in the mountains charges extra for adult, and nothing for children under 12. You just have to check their rules. Of course there are some that charge so much for extra that we just won't go there. One makes you get 2 sites if you have more than 6 people in your camper. My camper sleeps 10, so we stay away from that CG.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
I really like "ala carte".

-Tom
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Bob_Olallawa
Explorer
Explorer
Gypsy Soul wrote:
johnrbd wrote:

Welcome to my home, that door you just broke down was there for your protection not mine.