Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avid microchip problem

Veronica
Explorer
Explorer
Has this ever happened to anyone else?

I was reading a thread on here today about lost pets and remembered that I ran across Bella's microchip certificate the other day. I did a google search and found a few places where you could put in the chip number (which is on her certificate) and see where it's registered.

Every place that I've found says that it's an unregistered chip! I sent in the paperwork and the payment to have the chip registered in 2009 when it was put in. I know it's a two part process - pay the vet to put it in and register the chip with the company. I did both, but Avid dropped the ball.

All these years I thought she was protected and her chip isn't linked to my information at all. Of course I don't have a cancelled check or anything after this time, so I can't prove that I sent payment. I guess my only recourse will be to re-register her chip.

I'll call the company Monday and see what they say.
'96 Roadtrek 210 Popular

"You have to write the book that wants to be written. And if the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children."
~~Madeleine L’Engle
20 REPLIES 20

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
Another thought - with the availability of these machines that make tags -- we had one made for each of our dogs with our cell phone numbers on, that we put on them when we travel.

It might be a good idea to have a metal tag made with the 800 number on to whatever registry you are using for your dog. The only problem with that is sometimes dogs slip collars or people remove a collar.

The thing is if an animal is found, whoever scans the animal is going to contact the company that the chip was issued from - ie: Avid, Homeagain, Banfield, etc.... unless the dog has a tag with different information on it.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
Re: the free registry - does your dog have a tag or something with a phone number for that particular registry? The thing is, the finder that scans and tries to trace the chip has to contact that registry to get the information.

I know AVID gives a plastic tag with the microchip number imprinted on it. Those things break, and numbers wear off.

I had rescue tags made with my phone number that went on all rescue dogs when they were placed, as a backup - if the owner was away, and the pet got lost, I could be called and retrieve the dog until the owner returned.

I ended up having stainless tags also made up with the 800 number for avid. I just didn't see those plastic tags holding up over the long haul.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

elsique
Explorer
Explorer
I registered my dogs microchips at no cost with: http://microchipregistry.foundanimals.org and http://freepetchipregistry.com
Elise 🙂
2010 Chevy Silverado 6.2 V8
2018 2804RK Open Range

dturm
I did a search on AAHA/AKC universal lookup tool and found Jill's chip to be unregistered too.

A major problem here is that each company has a proprietary computer file and there was no single data base. AAHA and AKC has attempted to make a centralized data base to help with lost animals, but obviously there are some flaws in the system.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

dturm
Have not had that problem with AVID. I suppose a computer entry error could be made by any of the companies, I think this serves as a suggestion to us all to lookup our own animals to see it they are in fact in the data base.

As Wanda said, most of the unregistered chips we find are still registered as sold to the rescue. We have a cat this weekend (probably ran from the fireworks) with a Home Again chip registered to the city of Chicago. We have to wait till Monday to contact their agency to find out who adopted the cat.

Hope this all gets straightened out.

RE the different chips, it's not just Banfield, AVID, Home Again. I'm currently working with a client trying to get their dog legally transported to Greece. The EU requires a chip that is not commonly used in the US and the owner has to get it re-chipped with a special chip or carry a scanner that can read the chip that is implanted. AVID makes the EU compatible chip, but it's a pain keep multiple kinds and have the appropriate record keeping. Reminds me of Beta vs VHS with video recorders.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
I did rescue for many years and started chipping dogs in 2000. I gave the owners instructions on registering the chip.

A few years ago, one of my rehomed dogs was lost and the owner notified me, as required in my adoption contract. I called AVID. The owner had NEVER registered the microchip. AVID did allow me to give my information without charge, because the dog was lost at the time.

I suspect a LOT of people don't register the microchips when the dogs are chipped at a shelter. The microchips from a shelter trace back to that shelter, as we buy them by the boxes.

I guess if a person privately pays their vet for microchipping, they are laying out a nice chunk of change for the procedure, and may be more inclined to be sure to register it.

Edit: This doesn't sound right, in re-reading it. I'm not saying you didn't register the chip. It's possible AVID isn't showing up in whatever search blocks you are finding on line. I wouldn't get too excited until you talk to AVID on Monday. Your dog should have a tag with the 800 number on it for AVID.

There are several different registries. AKC has one, I think it's callED CAR - Companion Animal Recovery or something to that effect.

Also, a number of years ago, Banfield came out with their own microchips. There was some kind of legal issue with it because the Banfield (Petsmart) microchips did not read on the same frequency as the AVID and Home Again microchips. I did not follow that closely, but there must have been some kind of settlement, because we (shelters) got a free scanner that not only reads the Banfield chips, but Home Again and AVID.

It would be simpler if there was one microchip and one registry, but that would be too easy.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder