cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cat in RV....first time

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
I dread this day. This is a cat that showed up in our yard 18 months ago and obviously had been dumped 3-6 months prior. Still a bit skittish....especially around me. No problema with DW.

OK, first time in RV coming soon. Either a try out at home or a small 2-3 day trip to a CG close by.

My concern is the cat crawling into a space that is hard to get her out of....or even worse....under the dash board of our motor home. I guess I can rig up some plastic mesh/fencing under the dash to prevent this.

Anyone want to comment on a first time for cat ?

Thank you
Noel

2003 National Dolphin LX 6335, W22, 8.1L
13 REPLIES 13

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Noel wrote:
ut I think cats can escape the harness. Will use the cat carrier...but she needs to get out of the carrier at some point...and the drama could start.
Yes they can.

Cats are curious control freaks, so Kyra will be needing out of that carrier!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your replies, so far. Kyra is a ladycat. She is now strictly an indoors cat. Not been outside since she adopted us. She was about two, said the vet, 18 months ago.

Maybe a harness....but I think cats can escape the harness. Will use the cat carrier...but she needs to get out of the carrier at some point...and the drama could start.
Noel

2003 National Dolphin LX 6335, W22, 8.1L

drmopar
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same questions at first. We bought a 3 level cat cage from Amazon. Put in the house for about a month before first trip. Our indoor cat really liked it and would nap all day in the cage on the soft padded shelf with the door open. We put a potty box and a scratching post in there as well. When we did travel the first time with the cat, we had him in the truck with us in a carrier and the cage was packed in the Toy Hauler. When we arrived at our camping location, we put him in the cage in the Toy Hauler. Our cat knew he was home and not in a strange place. After awhile, he would explore the trailer. No problem the first time. Of course we have a "kitty Holster" and a leash for going outside. Good luck!

GypsySeniors
Explorer
Explorer
Yes...we also lock her in the bathroom when operating the slides...

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would think that if you spent some time - daily - for a few weeks in the motorhome with the cat and some of it toys, blanket, water bowl or things that would make it more comfortable, it would also be more comfortable once you start to travel. You could use a crate to transport it out there, then sit the crate down with the door open. Maybe after a few times it will come out on it's own to check around. Try to give it some adjustment time before taking off.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with ours in carriers, that they are in any time the slides are going in/out.

They dislike travel days, but Luna(tic) loves the new channel on cat-tv when we stop.
We never let them out of the rig, except in the carriers.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

GypsySeniors
Explorer
Explorer
Believe me !!! First hand experience...my Lily is strictly a house cat...our first time taking her in our motor home was a nightmare...she freaked and tried to hide EVERYWHERE...under the slide out...tried to get in cupboards...howled incessantly...was able to find a very small cavity under the dashboard and managed to squeeze her way into the instruments panel...it was almost impossible to get her out...of course they don't come when called especially when they are terrified...I had one chance to grab her to keep her from going further in...I grabbed hold and yanked her out...I know I hurt her...not seriously...but we were far from home and could not have dismantled the dash...CHECK the entire RV...cover every single place she could possibly get into..do not let her outside and I have discovered she travels better when she is not confined to a cat carrier...she crawls under the comforter and disappears until we get to our destination then she is fine...happy camper...Good Luck and I repeat...cover every cubby hole!!!

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
A bit different, but it shows that cats do come when called. We had a neutered tuxedo tom many years ago. We hired a high school kid to clear out some old fencing. He did a good job, but when he came back from the dump that evening he told us that the cat, George, had gotten in the truck full of fence posts and gone to the dump with him. We looked around and saw George sitting in the porch. Nope, we said, couldn't have been our cat. The kid told us that when they got to the dump, George jumped off the truck. After everything was offloaded he said, "Here, kitty, kitty" and George jumped into the truck and rode home.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyB wrote:
My fear would be the cat would get loose and take off never to be seen again...
That is a common fear, but I think cats are smarter than that. They know where the bed and the food are. That said, there are times you may have to wait for them to come out from under the truck!

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My fear would be the cat would get loose and take off never to be seen again... He would be laying in the brush watching everyone look for him and finally you have to just go without him.

Cats don't do like dogs and come to you when you call them...

At least none of our cats will...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Finally_Time
Explorer
Explorer
The first few times I took my adopted stray cat in the motor home, when driving, I put him in a large wire dog crate with one of his cat beds and a soft rug. He would yowl for a few hours, then burrow under the rug. After about four trips I couldn't stand the noise anymore. I stopped at a rest stop and let him out of the crate. He strolled to the dinette and flopped down on a cushion. When I started the engine he rand to the bedroom and burrowed under the covers. That is now our routine, when I start the engine he burrows under the bed covers. When I stop for the night he comes out from under the covers and jumps on the dash to see where we are and what's out there. (I close him in the bathroom when the slides are going in or out.)
'17 Tiffin Breeze 31BR, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Before we took our cat on its first trip, we left the RV door open and encouraged him to come inside with us. We let the cat become comfortable with the new surroundings - he was used to travel in the car already.
We also introduced him to a harness so that he could go outside on a leash at c.g.'s,. He was 4 years old when we did this, but he adjusted and learned to tolerate the harness. In fact, he would calmly sit at the RV door and wait for the harness before making a dash outdoors.

The cat used to sleep on the bed when we traveled and would come up front and look out the window. He adapted very well and traveled with us for 12 years. He made all the way to the Arctic and to the tip of the Baja and from the Newfoundland to British Columbia. We could not have had a better passenger. Unfortunately at 17, we had to put him down due to health issues. We still miss him.

Good luck with training your new kitty.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll call the cat a him.

I'd let him hide wherever he wants to, unless it's behind the brake pedal or some other unsafe place. Cats need a good safe place the first time doing something unusual -especially yours being skittish already.

I think walling up hiding places will be futile.. he will find a place anyway. Just let him be. He'l come out when he wants to.