cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dog fencing at campsite

Dollarbill60
Explorer
Explorer
As we approach our first TT purchase, I am looking at options for my three small dogs at our campsites. Understanding our responsibilities for our pets I know having them on leashes is a common option. Does anyone use fencing outside the trailer as a form of containment?
M. Dollar
37 REPLIES 37

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We typically spend 2 1/2-3 weeks at an RV park in Colorado. For several years I used plastic fencing like the orange safety fence except green. Used two 25' rolls. One about 3' high from the door out to the outer edge of the awning, down the awning to the front of the 5er, then across to surround the front overhang. Then a shorter one 2' high along the bottom of the 5er to block access underneath. These were all held up by short lightweight fence posts. That gave a very large area for our Golden to roam freely as long as i was outside with her and it worked well.
Later bought two of the folding metal panel type fences. Each has 6 panels each about 3' square. Two of those make a fair sized pen also and don't require the posts for support.
But both do require hauling around, setting up, tearing down, packing away. OK for long stays but a pain for short stays.
Last two years I just put her on a leash and hook the leash to my chair when I am sitting outside.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
We require pets to be on a leash when they are not in the RV. Do we look the other way when people are sitting outside with them? Yes. Do we allow fencing? No. Reasons: We are an RV park not a kenneling facility. If we wanted our sites to be fenced, we would fence them. A pet confined by a fence is not under anyone's control. They will evacuate their bowels and there will not be anyone there to clean it up. If a child wanders up to the dog, there is no one to assure their safety. And finally, I haven't seen too many portable fences that actually will confine a pet intent on going elsewhere. It is a false sense of security.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, exercise pens can and are commonly used at campsites and are a nice alternative to holding onto a leash 24-7.

HOWEVER, PLEASE DO NOT leave your dog(s) unattended in the pen, even for a moment.

The first, most common, reason is that unattended dogs are more likely to bark. If neighboring folks hear your dogs barking (whether or not it's excessive barking) and they see your dogs outside in a pen with no person in sight, they are more likely to complain to management, etc.

Also, as Johnno02 indicates, just because your dogs are well-trained and stay in their pen doesn't mean that other dogs will abide by those rules. All it takes is a couple seconds and your dogs could be in serious injury. Exercise pens are not constructed to provide unattended security for your dog.

And that is the number one issue with electronic (aka invisible) fencing. It only works on the dog wearing the collar (YOUR DOG). There is no fence keeping unknown loose dogs out of your space - thereby putting your dog at risk.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Only problem with Invisible(electric) fencing is that it does not keep other animals out. I have seen too many cases where a small animal inside an invisible fence has been injured or killed by wandering animals.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
A neighboring camper, at the lake last year, had some sort of electric pet containment system. The two dogs never left the campsite but had free range of around 50' or so. The owner did say he uses the system at his home as well. On e the the dogs know the limits they stay put. Not sure if I'd try this set up. We use 30' runners with a six foot leash.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
We have used portable exercise pens for years. With two larger dogs, we actually used two fastened together to make it larger. Both dogs could put their heads over the side of the fence, but both knew that putting feet up or trying to go over the fence was a no-no. Never left then outside in the pen unless one of us was with them. Only problem was others dogs, leashed or un-leashed, coming up to their pen. Amazing how you can tell others that the dogs did not like other dogs around the pen, and they would still let their little foo-foo come right up to the fence. Thankfully, none of them ever got eaten.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen that allot with smaller dogs. Temp fencing under the awning, sometimes the size of the awning.
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
We don't use fencing for our Golden, but I have seen other campers in various campgrounds that have used some sort of portable sectional fencing for their small dogs.