cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Drone deliveries and dogs

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Owners: A show of hands, please- if you know exactly what would happen if a drone landed on your property. I tend to see a problem, (and a mangled drone).
34 REPLIES 34

LaunchnRetrieve
Explorer
Explorer
davosfam wrote:
My hubby loves all things RC and just got a drone. There is no camera on it and he only flies it where he can see it. It is a toy. We had fun playing with it at our campground last weekend. You don't realize how low branches are until you are flying one of those things. I would hope that nobody would think we are trying to spy on them. That's ridiculous.

P.S. Our dogs don't quite know what to think of it but we aren't about to let them get close enough to find out.

I don't think anyone has a problem with hobby drones that don't have cameras, but I can only speak for myself. Drone without camera = annoying toy at worst. Drone with camera = invasion of privacy/personal space. Your hubby's no camera drone will just look like fun to me.

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
My hubby loves all things RC and just got a drone. There is no camera on it and he only flies it where he can see it. It is a toy. We had fun playing with it at our campground last weekend. You don't realize how low branches are until you are flying one of those things. I would hope that nobody would think we are trying to spy on them. That's ridiculous.

P.S. Our dogs don't quite know what to think of it but we aren't about to let them get close enough to find out.
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
The last drone I saw was bigger then a single engine Cessna.

Pops

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Flapper wrote:
I've flown RC aircraft for many years. Our club had to institute a leash rule for dogs. Mine tend to ignore the activity (Australian Shepherds), but we've seen many a lab or similar run down the runway trying to grab a plane (helicopter/quadrocopter("drone")) from the air that was trying to land.

Ah yes, hunting dog vs herding dog ๐Ÿ˜‰ My Aussie used to go kite flying with me, because I could say "Don't step on the string" and he'd stay away. They accept "boundaries" - even if imaginary.

Jack, our late Cattle Dog, would not have taken kindly to ANY "foreign object" on our property, I'm afraid. It's just the way of a ACD.

But Amazon can send drones to MY house - Ben and Jimmy don't have an ounce of protectiveness between the 2 of them - they'll be hiding on the porch.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Call me irresponsible. Thank you for that completely unfounded basis and judgment as you know absolutely nothing about me.

I will not tolerate a drone over my property, invading my privacy. If one should make a low level pass, O.K. However, if it is hovering, it better have a search warrant or I can assure you it will rendered flightless in one manner or the other.

The FAA will have to catch me first messing with a drone in my back yard. That drone and all evidence thereof will be removed before the FAA has a compliant. Where will their warrant be? It should only take a day or two to get one. No emergency here to issue one.

One thing to suspect something, another thing to prove it in court, especially with no evidence.

And for you that have no problem with this invasion of privacy, don't complain.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
I wasn't paranoid until I started keeping enough sheep to have to deal with all of the ever increasing regs and those who move out to the country and then try to make farming fit their idyllic vision of farming.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

dturm
This is an area where technology has shot way ahead of our laws. Even the proposed regulations on drones won't go into effect for a couple of years (if my understanding is right) and if Amazon has anything to do with it, the proposals will be changed before enacted.

I think the question about invasion of privacy is one that will be battled out in the courts. There is no question that with increased numbers and use by anyone out there (rather than trained, skilled users) that they could become a problem in lots of different ways. There have even been reports of "near misses" with commercial aircraft.

The question about these things being dangerous to living things is a no brainer. That's why the RC clubs have flying fields and for the most part hobby fliers observe safety protocols.

I've never seen an injury to an animal or a person from contact with a prop from an RC plane or helicopter, but I've seen many cats severely wounded from fan belt/radiator fan injuries and they aren't pretty. I'd suspect a similar type of injury, just a little less force from a small drone.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
The OP was specifically referencing Amazon package deliveries.

However, I think that going back to the invention of cameras/movie cameras-people will come up with ways to catch images, that they've always wanted to see, but until drones, were unable to. It'll be a matter of First Amendment rights vs. personal rights.
I think drones will open up opportunities for people to train falcons, or teach boomerang classes.

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Git- R -Done.....

There's sumptin flying over the house Becky, fetch the shotgun.....shoot first....

There's a boat on the lake / River behind the house Mildred, fetch the shotgun....shoot first....

Some may want to research air and water ways.......just a little!

Lol........deep breath, all relax!
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Misinformation?

One of the links has an article about an AR group flying over private property to record a bird hunt.
A coworker of mine has talked about flying a drone over a neighbors yard to photograph a party.

We have a local group the encourages people to take photographs of farming activities they feel are not right, send it to them, and they will publish the photos on their website.

Just because you don't do these things doesn't mean others are not.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
2007 Nash 22M

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
This is amazing.. Now we are flying over tens of acres spying on people "training" their dogs?

Really.... Nobody cares, but it's good to know that the public ignorance and mis-information on what defines a "drone" is alive and well. So apparently is paranoia
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

LaunchnRetrieve
Explorer
Explorer
My issue is the surveillance. And intrusiveness into my personal space.
Legally, or not, I have an expectation of privacy on my personal property.
RC/model airplanes don't get flown over my back yard. And they don't have cameras.
I have nothing to hide, but the personal space thing is strong with me.
Any neighbor who gets a drone will have a friendly visit from me with a nice neighborly talk about personal space. If the drone is flying with a camera and I can access it, it's mine with no apology to my neighbor.
I think the law is against any of us that feel this way, but it's how I feel and what I will do, regardless.
We will be having discussions about legal uses of drones by law enforcement and it will be up to us to drive the laws that will determine the limits of drone use by LE. That will be a separate issue.
Domestic or business drones with surveillance capabilities? That's just like a nuisance pest (rat, raccoon, ...) being on my property. Trapped and dispatched if I'm quick enough.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
My R/C helicopter has a GoPro on it.....just sayin...

Following this thread...if a pilot of a Cessna had engine trouble and did an emergency landing on some of these properties, they'd be shot or mangled by an animal....:S...makes me wonder what kind of "crops" these folks are growing......Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Just what I need is someone flying a drone over our 25 acres while I am training my young dog to work sheep and he looses his cool chasing and then biting a sheep. I'll have to spend time explaining to animal control about using dogs to manage sheep, how we train them, and what can happen while training young dogs.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M