cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fence for dogs

Mncst
Explorer
Explorer
DH and I have two dogs that love to camp with us in our Rockwood Roo. We are wondering what others use as a fence to keep dogs from running away. We are new to the RV camping world. We would like something that we can just open the camper door and let them out. How do you guys camp with dogs?
16 REPLIES 16

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
RedLionCookie wrote:
I purchased a wireless pet containment system that I leave in the camper. I adjusted the field so that it is relatively small (It's in a circle). I don't let the dogs out alone but they do know how far away from the camper they can go before they get shocked. It actually works quite well.

Some....many?....jurisdictions require animals to be PHYSICALLY restrained at all times and an invisible electric fence doesn't qualify.

Hope a situation doesn't arise where that becomes a problem for you.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

sharker6
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
Be aware that some campgrounds will not allow you to set up pens or fencing, or tie them up outside. It will depend on where you camp.

Very true and becoming more common. I've been in Florida since May 2016 and none have allowed a fence or pen.
2017 Keystone Cougar 29RES, 2008 F250 Diesel FX4

RedLionCookie
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a wireless pet containment system that I leave in the camper. I adjusted the field so that it is relatively small (It's in a circle). I don't let the dogs out alone but they do know how far away from the camper they can go before they get shocked. It actually works quite well.

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2 shorter pens that fit under the trailer side, and 3 taller ones. Gives them a lot of room to run and play (Westies) without the leashes getting tangled. Only time they are outside and we aren't, is first thing in the morning. Let them out and go start coffee. They are back inside and up on the bed long before my coffee is brewed. Otherwise they are only outside if we are as they tend to follow us around like, well, dogs.

One thing we tried that was a bad idea was putting the shorter pens under farther under the trailer, thinking they would like some more shade. Turns out that's where they wanted to poop which made it impossible to pick up. So we stopped that idea.

We even have a kiddie pool in the penned area for them.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
We use 2 pens hooked together also. Our 3 camping dogs are chihuahuas, we usually put them out in the pens and we are usually outside with them.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Mncst wrote:
We would never ever leave our dogs unattended. We just don't care much for keeping them on a leash while we sit outside and are looking for an alternative.

Your comment about just opening the RV door and letting them out seems to be complicating this discussion.

Portable, fold-up fences can be had from several different sources.
Big RV stores and Farm and Home stores come to mind; the latter probably having a sturdier product for a lower price.

BUT....you would have to either carry your pets to the fenced area OR hold their collar OR use a leash for a few feet. Including the RV door in your "enclosure" then means that you have to secure the undercarriage too. That might also make it large enough that it wouldn't be welcome in all camping areas.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Mncst
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the ideas. Looks like an ex pen is the way to go. And let me be clear, we will never ever leave the dogs attended. I am very strict about dogs being with us at all times. We would just like to be able to sit outside with the dogs without leashes becoming tangled in chairs and tripping people. Thank you.

Army11Bravo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have two dogs, including a 100 pound hound dog. A pen would not work for us, so we connect a plastic covered cable between two trees at about 7 feet up and connect leads to the dogs for a dog run. We do this at state and local parks and have never had a problem with them.

Once the dog run is set up, it's easy just to connect the dogs to the run near the RV. The dogs like the freedom to roam or just sit near us. Occasionally we have to untangle the leads, but it's a good fit for our camping.
Army 11 Bravo - Gulf War Veteran
Wife, Two Teen Boys, Hound Dog (Daisy) & Beagles (Lily & Bailey)
2014 Springdale 267SRTWE Bunkhouse Travel Trailer
2009 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4x4

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Mncst wrote:
DH and I have two dogs that love to camp with us in our Rockwood Roo. We are wondering what others use as a fence to keep dogs from running away. We are new to the RV camping world. We would like something that we can just open the camper door and let them out. How do you guys camp with dogs?
Ahem.
Your original post does state that you would like to find an enclosure where you ' just open the door & 'let the dogs out'.
Thats unattended and unsecured of why they want to go out in a new environment.
For the safety of your pets and peace in the neighborhood, approach your concept slowly.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
I use 2 X-Pens hooked together around the trailer door as a sort of yard in case a dog slips out unleashed. I don't rely on the pens by themselves to contain the dogs. The makeshift yard gives me that split second to grab the dog.

My dogs are on tie outs, in crates, or on leash when not in the trailer. That is one thing i, personally, am strict about.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

Mncst
Explorer
Explorer
We would never ever leave our dogs unattended. We just don't care much for keeping them on a leash while we sit outside and are looking for an alternative.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Pens, while secure for your pet, and not unwelcome in many camps do amount to an unattended pet which is the base cause of leash rules.
A dog in a pen may try to dig out, be a noisy nuisance to others without your attendance.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be aware that some campgrounds will not allow you to set up pens or fencing, or tie them up outside. It will depend on where you camp.

Mncst
Explorer
Explorer
Can we connect several of the chewy fences to make a large fence around our Roo?