cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
On 18 Dec, a very large cat showed up at our house. It was late and cold, and he looked in the door and made it clear he wanted inside. Well, since we have two cats already and he was a stranger, we could not let him in the house. WLToo walked out and the cat ran to him, so he walked the cat into the garage and into the climate controlled room out there.

He was extremely hungry and thirsty, but in otherwise good condition and very clean. We fixed up a bed for him, set up the feeding and elimination stations, and went to bed.

Next day, we worked in the garage all day, while the big guy slept or supervised. We found him to be an intact male, no sign he's ever worn a collar, and he has a strong need to be in the general vicinity of humans. For an intact male, he's remarkably mellow - I don't think he was the alpha cat in his previous home.

Have had zero responses to the "found cat" notices around the area and online, so we'll be working with the local rescues to get him neutered and all his shots, then find him a home. We can't keep him because he's just too big for our two cats to share our small house. Alex would have another emotional meltdown, and I don't want to go through that mess again (long, ugly story).

For now, we're calling him Spot, not that he answers to it (does answer to "Kitty, Kitty"). No idea how he travels; we'll find out when we take him to the vet on Tuesday.

If anyone knows of someone who would like a large (about 15-18 pounds) cat who needs to be with people, please let me know. No cat novices, please; this cat needs someone who knows exactly how to handle an adult cat of this size, especially when he's feeling frisky.

We're at Canyon Lake, TX, so if there are any Winter Texans nearby who would like to meet him and maybe give him a home, that would be great.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more
2,054 REPLIES 2,054

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yesterday and the day before, we watched Spot doing the Fosbury Flop, as he chased butterflies. He's becoming positively athletic, a huge change from his tom cat style stroll. He even ran up a tree!

A doe came up yesterday and I fed her. Then I realized it's not Mama Doe Lassie, but a doe who looks and acts very much like her -- might be siblings or MDL raised her. When she didn't nuzzle me as MDL does, and was very leery of Spot and I, I should have figured it out. But I didn't, until MDL walked around the corner. Luckily, only MDL was here for today's feeding. We're not going into the herd feeding business.

Back to handing lights up to WLToo on the roof. Later, y'all.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
This morning, we had a special performance from Spot Astaire. He must have watched "Royal Wedding" a few times. He was chasing Alex, bounced onto the rocking chair back, and rode it down to the floor before dashing on. Naturally, we didn't have a video camera running...

Alex is back in his favorite outdoor past time of rolling around in the dirt until he's completely covered, then coming inside and wanting to wallow on me.

Mama Doe Lassie hasn't been by the last couple days. Maybe today; after all, we do have her corn again.

We still have three very stubborn hummingbirds hanging about. I wonder what they'll eat soon, as the weather's finally turning right chilly at night.

Oof! Spot's laying on one arm and kneading biscuits on my shirt. time to trim claws.

Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
When I got up yesterday morning, I stepped right into kitty puke. Got that (and my foot) cleaned up and realized Alex had barfed on the bed, too, so the spread and sheets had to be washed. He was nice enough to barf again on the tile floor, then the cocktail table. He does that sometimes, just throws up over and over for a day, then he's fine.

We took Mom down to stay with sister today, and said goodbye to nephew.

Spot is missing all the laps, and Alex is back in mine. I've apparently not caught up on all the missing sleep, as I'm dropping off every few sentences.

Time to give up and call it a night.

Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

dogcomestoo
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a wonderful, meaningful Thanksgiving.

I think it's really funny that Mama Doe Lassie is getting picky.

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
dogcomestoo wrote:
So, how was your Thanksgiving??

According to my sister, it was like "Christmas with the Kranks." Seems my nephew is deploying back to Afghanistan, so she wanted to combine Thanksgiving, his birthday, and Christmas all in one. With only a week to throw it together, brother actually managed to change Mom's plane tickets to here instead of to brother's, and he and Sis-in-law managed to get last minute tickets to come down, too.

We helped sister decorate her house, complete with tree, outdoor lights, the whole enchilada. Then we all came up with pepper crusted smoked turkey, baked ham, jalapeno cornbread dressing, regular cornbread dressing, apple cider turkey gravy, regular turkey gravy, Paula Deen's sweet potato casserole and southern green beans, cranberry salad, cranberry sauce, rolls, chocolate pie, pumpkin gingerbread, and crustless pecan pie.

Nephew was duly impressed -- and overfed, as were we all. It was quite a crowd, so leftovers were minimal.

All those preps meant Spot and Alex were confined to the house, so when we got home, they really, really wanted to go outside or play or both. With all the company, Spot decided anyone who sat in his rocking chair should be wallowed upon. At the moment, he's asleep on Mom's lap. Alex decided to confine his affection to me, WLToo, and my brother.

Mama Doe Lassie was not afraid of all the visitors, but she refused to let anyone except me feed her. She's spoiled now -- we were out of deer corn yesterday, so I gave her some celery. She used to like celery. But she refused to eat it and hung around a long time, trying to guilt us into feeding her corn. WLToo finally got more yesterday, so she's happy again.

At least the weather has been marvelous. Cool at night, warm days, so here it is late November, I'm wearing shorts, and the heater is not on yet.

Got up at 0400 to take brother and sis-in-law to airport, so I'm starting to wind down. Think it's nap time.

Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

dogcomestoo
Explorer
Explorer
So, how was your Thanksgiving??

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not so windy today, but it's overcast and the high will only be in the 50s. Therefore, both Spot and Alex are hanging around inside. Alex wants to be on my lap, where he's warm, and Spot wants Alex to come down and play. This means I'm a transit or jumping off point every little while. Lot of "Oof!" going on.

A tiny, tiny hummingbird is still here, even smaller than my small thumbs. I don't know what kind of bugs are still out there for it to eat, although we still have wildflowers and the feeder for the energy.

Speaking of bugs, a five inch long giant red-headed centipede was wandering past our recycle container just a few minutes ago. It's very sluggish and quite far away from its normal feeding ground under the swimming pool edge, so I'm guessing its food sources are dwindling -- haven't seen a scorpion or wasp in quite some time.

Mama Doe Lassie just strolled up for the third time. We only feed her once a day, although now that we've committed to doing it, I might do twice a day when it decides to be cold. We're down to just a couple days of feed, but we want a proper storage container for the next 50 pounds of deer corn, to keep the bugs out of it. She'll eat the bugs if she's really, really hungry, but, well, yuck.

OOF! Sigh. Time to feed 'em. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
It was very windy today. Spot and Alex wanted to be outside, but just couldn't hack the wind in their ears. At the moment, Spot is taking up most of the leg rest on my recliner...

The hummingbirds had a lot of trouble getting to the feeder, then hanging on. Didn't see a single butterfly -- I guess they were also busy hanging on for dear life.

It's dark now, and very windy still. At least it's still warm.

Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Spot got another box today. As soon as he saw the FedEx truck, he ran to the door and was literally hopping about, waiting for us to bring it inside, unload it, and let him lay down in it. He is just too funny.

We humans spent the evening at Wurstfest. Great night for it. At one point, we were sitting by the river, and WLToo poked me in the belly fat and said, "I don't really mind this all that much. I did swear 'in thickness and in health.'"

I'm still laughing.

Night, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
The black and white one is much bigger than Bobbi, and WLToo saw it before we ever got Bobbi. There's a grave in the meadow of the previous owner's cat, but we don't know if it was a black one or black and white or what. Just another mystery.

Our meadow is covered in butterflies, who are migrating through -- thousands of them. I identified one, but the other won't hold still long enough for me to get a good look. Spot and Alex exhausted themselves today, chasing butterflies. It was so cute, but of course they refused to pose for any photos.

Czarny, black cat

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure that one of the ghost cats isn't Bobbi? I sometimes think that I see one of my departed pets out of the corner of my eye but, when I look, it isn't there. I do believe that they check in on us from time to time just to make sure we're OK...
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
It appears we have two ghost cats in our house. WLToo occasionally sees a black and white cat out of the corner of his eye, and it's not Alex. Just a couple nights ago, I saw (from the corner of my eye) a solid black cat stroll from the hall bath into the great room. We don't have a solid black cat. Spot was sitting on the back of my recliner, just above my head, and reacted when the cat appeared, so I was not the only one who saw it.

Between the ghost cats and the occasional whiff of sandalwood, which neither of us use, WLToo's pretty well convinced we have at least one and maybe two human ghosts. Drat. He gets all the good sightings -- I get one cat and zero humans.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gary, I hope Dash is doing ok, but I know the decision will come soon. Having made that decision so many times, I feel for you.

The weather has finally cooled enough to turn off the air conditioner and open the house to the breeze. I do love late autumn in the Hill Country -- highs in the 70s, lows in the 50s or 60s. Just wonderful.

Mama Doe Lassie still comes for her daily corn, but she's so spooky now that the slightest movement causes her to jump. She only relaxes a little when we're sitting on the porch while she eats. Spot dashed up last night, all nervous, and that set her off again. The stags have everyone on edge.

Spot has gotten รผber affectionate. He's even crawling up on WLToo now, the same way he plops on me.

We still have one hummingbird. We don't see it much, since there are so many wildflowers still blooming in the meadow, but as long as I see it land on the feeder, we'll keep nectar out there.

It's too beautiful to stay inside and type on the computer. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dashonthedash wrote:
Wanderlost wrote:
but dang... Won't be attending the H.O.G. chapter Halloweed party tonight (grumble, complain)

I hope that was a typo :B:W

Sigh, shoulda been HalloweeN. I'm obviously not as observant as usual when on antihistimines, Gary.

Sue, you just described Spot's fascination with boxes. At the moment, he's zonked in a big box. Only his tail is sticking out.

Mama Doe Lassie came to the door yesterday and put muzzle prints on the glass. WLToo had left her dish on the north porch, so I had to retrieve it before giving her some corn. She didn't want to back up and give me room to get the dish, until she nuzzled my hand and found it empty. Great, deer snot on my hand. But she did move, I got the dish, and went back inside to get the corn. When I came back, the door was open and she had her head inside the door, sniffing the air and making Alex highly nervous. After another little human/deer dance, she backed up so I could go outside. I put the dish down very carefully, since she was so close that she was already eating from it. I saw she has a couple of cactus spines in her left shoulder, but while she's fine with touching me, I'm not so sanguine about touching her. Pulling out a cactus spine is painful; doing so with deer hooves within range is a "not even gonna think about trying that" thing.

There's a hummingbird hovering in the window. Guess the feeder needs a refill.

Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Sue_Bee
Explorer
Explorer
My cat has two boxes, both from Costco, which serve as her "cloaking devices". She seems to think that no one can see her when she is in the box, even when her head is sticking out like a trophy buck.

We take these boxes with us for her when we are camping, or when we go to my MILs, she seems to see them as a bit of home, and it makes her more comfortable.

ANY box that comes into the house must be investigated, and fitted for cat. Some are not even big enough, but she needs to get in to see if it is suitable.