cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

It's that time of year!

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
I stepped out of the back door this morning on my way to work and heard the sound of a lamb calling to its mom. My wife texted me saying the ewe had not delivered her second lamb yet; so the cries I heard were from a new born.

We bred about 60 ewes.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M
135 REPLIES 135

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Today brought 2 singles, a set of twins, and a set of triplets. We also had extensive melting which seaped into the lambing area I cleaned and bedded the end of last week. I'll clean and rebed it after the rain we're expecting tomorrow.

6 sets of triplets
12 sets of twins
4 singles
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
all was quite this morning; we're about 1/4 of the way through lambing

5 sets of triplets (2 died)
11 sets of twins
2 singles
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
A single was born yesterday. I found one of a set of triplets (in the lambing pen with a heat lamp) weak, cold, and dehydrated. I gave it some sugar/vitamin supplement which helped a little. We brought it in the house to warm up and after several hrs it was warm but not better. It died later that evening.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

det62
Explorer
Explorer
The last lamb, at the very end of the video, has alot of hop in his/her step!!

Thanks for sharing!!!
1994 Georgie Boy Pursuit 32 foot Class A

Debbie (owner, pilot and navigator):B
Steve (campfire starter):Z
Matthew - age 17 Got Fish ?? :@
Rebecca - age 16 Got Wi-fi ?? :h

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
No new lambs and the bottle lamb is doing well.
5 sets of triplets
11 sets of twins
1 single

Got the vet bill for the farm call, $250; more than the ewe would have sold for at auction.

Here's a little something to brighten your day
lamb races
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

Uppercrust
Explorer
Explorer
I am also enjoying the pictures and hearing how things are going. Sorry for your loss of the ewe.
2012 F250 CC,FX4, Metallic blue/Silver
2012 Cruiser Patriot 345RF ๐Ÿ™‚ campers mom, dad
19 yr. old son
22 yr. old daughter
Diesel R.I.P.
Lady lab mix 16 R.I.P
Daisy beagle/collie
Misty shepard/husky
Camper's Have Smore Fun
14.5 Rallies
sleepovers 3

RBak
Explorer
Explorer
Could we ask the admins to somehow install a "like" button on this forum? I greatly enjoy reading and seeing the photos and all the comments about the animals. You might be tired after all that work, Mark, but I bet you wouldn't trade your life on the farm for one in the city. Hope all the creatures and you get through the bad weather. I had to reschedule a trip to Florida for the second time in 3 weeks - the snow down south got us again and we didn't want to risk driving down through Kentucky and Tennessee while there was snow and ice on the roads.

Rita

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Mark, I can tease more if you can tolerate it.

What a great spring to fly up to Stephenville, Newfoundland, with all of your outdoor camping gear, your skiis, etc. charter a chopper and spend 2 weeks enjoying the white stuff the Lewis Hills.

Sensibly, though I should remember new life coming to our little farm in my childhood. Age 7. new to us cow, last day of school. I ran out to the barn to see if Patsy's calf was born. & there she was mostly Jersey calf, still wet, not on her feet yet, perfect colour to be named Rudolpha.

One of my best friends, Rudolpha was.

Our sheep were an earlier farm.

๐Ÿ˜‰
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
the storm started as rain yesterday on top of melting snow. We had lots of runoff through our farm and down our 1/4 mile long drive. The temps dropped and we got 11" of snow on top of the runoff. Our drive is snow on top of 3" of slush all of which will freeze when the temps drop to close to 0F overnight.

Yesterday the water seaped through the stone foundation of our barn making one of our large lambing areas very wet. I had to dig out the manure soup and wet hay and put down dry bedding. Later today I dug out my car (at end of the drive) shoveling the snow and 3" of slush (no point using the snow blower). This was on top of the daily lambing chores. I'm beat!

The snow would be fun if I didn't have to go out and work in it.
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:

We're sure to get more lambs today because the weather is........

...............just right to want to go out spring cross country skiing.

๐Ÿ˜›
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Maaaaaaa

Who are you??

Mom, don't get up

Let me sleep, it's not time for me to clock in for work

We're sure to get more lambs today because the weather is........
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry about the loss of the ewe. I know these things happen and it's just the circle of life, but it still doesn't make it easier.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
A new set of twins
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
We were correct, the last ewe to lamb did have 1 more in here; triplets instead of twins.

5 sets of triplets
10 sets of twins
1 single
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
We had a single (first time mom), a set of triplets that were tangled up and needed help delivering, and a set of twins (just born and she could still have one more in her). The ewe the vet worked on went down hill fast (looking tired to very ill in a few hrs) and died. The vet said she had a small tear in her uterus but he felt she'd be okay.

4 sets of triplets
11 sets of twins
1 single
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M