cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Litter Box Ideas

4x4FF
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 39' 5er and DW has a cat that comes with us. I would like to get ideas, suggestions, pictures of people who have 'hidden' their litter box. I know a lot of people put them in the shower but I don't want to do that. I would love to enclose an area in the 'basement' behind the steps and have access either from the basement or cut a compartment door into the outside to access it but I would have to reroute a water line and even then it may still not work. Anybody have any thoughts besides 'in the shower'??

Steve
'07 39' Pilgrim Open Road 5th Wheel
'18 F350 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke
12 REPLIES 12

cinharover
Explorer
Explorer
I also thought I would be clever and cut a hole next to the steps into a storage compartment beside it. No problem, take out carpet, cut through wood, aluminum, and plastic casing. However, after I got underneath the rig, I saw that the stairs were housed in a thick steel frame casing, with an opening that only a kitten could slide through and great difficulty in accessing it anyway. It sure depends on your rig setup. If I hadn't had a slide mechanism under my bed, I would have tried to cut an access door through the bed bottom and then would have cut a door in the floor to the basement. How about underneath the dinette seats? I can't do this because of some huge metal brackets that hold seat belts, but your rig might be different. I have three cats, 1 litter box, and I scoop it twice a day.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
We modified one of our under bed storage locations. We removed the access door and hung curtains, as well as attached a few thin walls around the box area...

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
On our first rig, a Starcraft autumn ridge, it had a storage compartment under the wardrobe in the bathroom that I just cut a hole thru the lower part so our 2 girls could access it. It was right there at the outside compartment door so I could just open it and take the box out to clean it. Our current rig is a Coleman 268rk with no other place to put it but under the end of the bed in the storage compartment there. Again, I cut a hole for access and we just lift the end of the bed to get to it. It works well. As to the smell, we really have no issues and I agree that the food might be the culprit there. Ours are very picky eaters and they seem to like the Purina one smart blend brand. All I can say is poop is poop and keep it cleaned out as much as you can.

ToadHaul
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't like the little b/r sink our rig came with anyway so we removed it, got a new piece of counter, and a new vessel sink. This raised the plumbing up enough to accommodate our Jazzy. I took the cabinet and b/r doors off and stored them. Replaced the b/r door with a tension rod use a curtain for human privacy. 🙂

If your kitty is that stinky you might consider trying a new food. Our Gatsby (17 pounder) was a stinky kitty when he first came from the pound. Now, after a few months of Blue Buffalo Indoor formula he has a smell but it won't run you out of the rig. ;-D

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
One of the reasons we picked our 5th's floor plan is because it was cat friendly.

Covered cat box in the slide out.

2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

wif
Explorer
Explorer
We put it under the rear double bunk in our TT. Put in a doggie door for her to access it. To remove the box we merely lift up the bed on it's hinge. One advantage to this is that because of some of the plumbing holes in the walls underneath the bed, odors are actually vented to the bathroom where our exhaust fan takes care of them.
Doug & Trish
Scooter the camping cat
2011 Ford F150 5.0 SCAB
2009 R-Vision TS21RBH
Honda EU2000i

4x4FF
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input guys and gals. I am still looking for ideas. Here is something like I originally had in mind. Litter Box in Basement
'07 39' Pilgrim Open Road 5th Wheel
'18 F350 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke

catmancando
Explorer
Explorer
We put our litter box in the storage compartment in the front of our trailer. I cut an opening in the nite stand beside the bed and installed a doggie door. Used an quarter inch sheet of plywood to block part of the storage bay off. Made a screen for access from outside. Cats seem to like it because they can look outside from the litter box.:C

DrTanTodd
Explorer
Explorer
We put ours in the washer dryer area of the camper since we do not have a washer and dryer in our 5th wheel. Nice little semi private area for them.
Todd and Dawn
Maddy and Nugget the Cats
2014 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2015 Jayco Pinnacle 31 RETS

emaav
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is in the shower due to space issues. But could you replace a cabinet door with a curtain or even a cat door for the litter box access?
Me (Eli)
Better Half (Trinity)
2 cats
1999 Chevy 3500
1993 Shadow Cruiser 21F21RD

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
We put ours in the shower, but I have seen some photos of a cat-box in a cabinet. They had modified the side with a small "arch" to allow the cat to enter.
I'm fairly certain the photos were on a recent thread here, at least I didn't find them on another forum I often read.
They did a nice job
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Yaj
Explorer
Explorer
We but ours under the bathroom sink. It's not hidden but it's out of the way.
I removed the cabinet doors and raised the floor up to match the door opening.

Now if someone has any ideas to get rid of the odor. I have woke up many times with my eyes already watering, and they were closed! He smells so bad he can't stand it any more and sometimes wakes up the DW so she'll clean it out and get it outside.
I'm trying to figure out a way to rig up a boat bilge blower so it comes on as he steps into the litter box, and doesn't turn off automatically.