cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New puppy - a few questions

davosfam
Explorer
Explorer
My son moved back in with us for a couple months and brought his new puppy with him. We have two adult dogs, both current on vaccinations. The puppy will have her second round of shots on Friday and then he is bringing her up to our camping lot on Saturday. The puppy will be kept in an x-pen during the day and crate at night.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it OK to use K9 Advantix II on our dogs when they are around the puppy so much? Can the puppy use this or just Frontline?

2. There are a lot of deer at the campground and I'm not sure if there is anything we need to worry about transmitting to the puppy from the deer other than fleas and ticks.

This has been quite an adjustment. After going through the puppy phase the last time, I told my hubby that we would never get another puppy. Now here we are with another one. :R
Shannen and Rick, empty nesters and loving it!
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax
17 REPLIES 17

Explorer
Explorer
You are aware that what kills the fleas kills the dog? Bluntly put. Research it!!!!!!!
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
As long as the puppy isn't licking/chewing on the other dogs, it should be OK to treat them. I'd recommend keeping puppy away from them for a day so the chemicals can absorb as much as possible.

I've been hesitant to use any flea treatment within a week of inoculations, but as you're going camping in a tick area, I would check with your vet to see what they suggest. I don't use Frontline - found it ineffectual for fleas - so I can't answer to that part.

I do use Advantage/Advantix on an as-needed basis. For fleas, the great thing about Advantage and Advantix is that you don't have to treat every pet in the household. The fleas jump on and off the dogs, so the fleas on the untreated dog will visit a treated dog and get zapped. For ticks, it's not so convenient. I'd recommend a good tick tweezer and a thorough check of the puppy at least twice a day (at bedtime and around noon). I'd also check him after any hiking or rolling around.

Another option you have is to use Zodiac household spray on the puppy's bedding. Spray the bedding a day before you leave so it has a chance to completely dry. I usually spray one side, then flip it so that's on the bottom and not next to the animal.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Quick call to the vet which provides the puppy it's shots will resolve your question accurately .. and won't cost anything. Were babysitting a puppy for a friend and that's what we do.
Kevin