cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan to travel with 3 cats and a dog

wannabervin
Explorer
Explorer
We have 3 indoor cats and a dog. The dog is not a problem (except that he thinks cat poop is a special delicacy). However, we are very concerned about the cats "escaping" in a campground when we open the RV door, where we can't just wait around indefinitely to see if the cat comes back. At my wife's direction, I installed an inward swinging screen door on our TT, which helps ensure they don't dash out when opening the door from the outside. But with the TT, they have to be crated in our SUV while we are on the road. Consequently, we are thinking about moving to a class C, where they wouldn't have to be crated while we travel. How can we be sure they won't bolt out the driver or passenger door of the class c when we open it from the outside? Can't install screen doors there! I'm thinking of maybe having a metal screen built in, placed immediately behind the driver/passenger seats, like in some work vans, to keep the cats out of the front cab, and putting in the screen door on the rear door like I did in the TT. Any other suggestions on keeping the cats inside the RV or on where to get the metal screen built/installed?
13 REPLIES 13

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Cats trying to get out was not a problem I had. Once when the door was left open, one went out and we had to play marco-polo until I found him and carried him back. But other than that, no issues in months of living in the rv.

You can use a squirt bottle or a treat, given in a particular place, when you come in and go out. I have done that with a cat that was trying to get out at home. By giving a treat near the door, she learned to wait for the treat instead of racing out.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

cinharover
Explorer
Explorer
As I read it, your concern is that they will bolt out of your two side doors on the Class C (if you get that). Why not get a Class A? Only one door to monitor and mine has a built in screen door. I travel solo and have 3 cats wandering about. One boy climbs underneath the bed cover. The other boy sits under the dinette table, and the little girl sits on my lap the entire time. Yes, I know they should be in cages, but I can't stand the noise they make when I cage them up.

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
If your cat does get out, try this. I found that my adopted stray was totally an outdoor cat. He was OK riding in vehicles but really wanted to get out and roam when stopped. I found that he had a short attention span. If I would keep going after him he would keep moving away from me. However, if I stayed a comfortable distance away from him he would soon forget me and start exploring. Then I could mosey up to him and pick him up. BTW, all my pets were chipped.
Currently Between RVs

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I have mentioned my cat Spike several times, everyone's pets are special but not all of them will adapt to life in a MoHo. Spike started hating the car a few years after he was rescued and really hated the MoHo at first. As years went by he mellowed but really didn't like motor vehicles. As he lost his hearing and eyesight he mellowed even more but hated being in a vehicle. After a training period to acclimate him to the RV he became a good travel companion and an better friend. One time we left on a trip, Alaska to be exact, he was very vocal, read that as loud and obnoxious until, we passed his Dr's office. Once past the Dr's office he was fine for the next 3 months and 13,000 miles. Doesn't have much to do with the OP but it warms the cockles of my heart and I love to tell it.

It is uncanny how dogs that lose their eyesight and hearing learn to adapt with their inner clock and still be functional. :B

When I was a kid and we took off to our summer home which was 2 hours away our dog would sleep like a rock on the front seat until the last turn to go down the street to the house and he'd be up yelping and scratching at the car window! No one would believe it until they took the trip with us and witnessed it. Gotta love em.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I have mentioned my cat Spike several times, everyone's pets are special but not all of them will adapt to life in a MoHo. Spike started hating the car a few years after he was rescued and really hated the MoHo at first. As years went by he mellowed but really didn't like motor vehicles. As he lost his hearing and eyesight he mellowed even more but hated being in a vehicle. After a training period to acclimate him to the RV he became a good travel companion and an better friend. One time we left on a trip, Alaska to be exact, he was very vocal, read that as loud and obnoxious until, we passed his Dr's office. Once past the Dr's office he was fine for the next 3 months and 13,000 miles. Doesn't have much to do with the OP but it warms the cockles of my heart and I love to tell it.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
2lazy4U wrote:
Get a

squirt bottle

and when you come to the screen door to open it, squirt any cat even vaguely nearby. It won't be long before they avoid the door like the plague.

And I would

never let them ride free

, always in a carrier for their safety. Little bodies flying through the air don't end up well.

BTW, I camp and travel with 4 cats and 3 dogs. They all acclimate with time and it gets much easier.

When I hit the road full time with 4 dogs I quickly found out how useful a small squirt bottle with water in it is to stop the dogs from barking at a CG. No yelling at them to shut up which is actually more annoying to fellow campers than the dogs! The ultimate bark silencer - water spray bottle!

Mine are in ex-pens along side the MH. First time used it was directed at them after that just shooting on the ground near them is all that is needed. Now all I have to do is set the spray bottle out and all is quiet.:C

X2 on allowing animals loose in any vehicles. They become projectiles in something as simple as a low speed rear end accident. Which also can impair the driver's ability to control the vehicle.

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
Get a squirt bottle and when you come to the screen door to open it, squirt any cat even vaguely nearby. It won't be long before they avoid the door like the plague.

And I would never let them ride free, always in a carrier for their safety. Little bodies flying through the air don't end up well.

BTW, I camp and travel with 4 cats and 3 dogs. They all acclimate with time and it gets much easier.

jbbrick
Explorer
Explorer
Are your cats indoor cats at home? Our 2 are and they don't show much interest in going out at all. I put one on a harness outside and he just sat there, the world is too big for him and he is happier inside, and rides on the dashboard. If yours are outdoor cats you might have some issues.
'06 Itasca Suncruiser 33'
2016 Ford Edge toad

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
...Consequently, we are thinking about moving to a class C, where they wouldn't have to be crated while we travel...

ALL animals riding in my MH are crated while traveling down the road. For their safety and mine.

I finally found this soft crate for the cat at Walmart. Folds up flat for storage and is big enough for a bed, food bowl and a litter box. The screening around the entire cage is what I needed for my cat to be happy in it while traveling. He ended up sleeping in it every night on his own.

I built a table top in the back of the bedroom at the foot of the bed up against the wall for the crate. Faced the opening towards the wall so the dog can't get at the litter box but the cat could easily go in and out to eat and do his business. And more importantly out of my way and not using up any of 'my' MH space!

SportPet crates can be found at walmart. They are very inexpensive compared to other soft sided crates. And they fold completely flat for storage. They are on the very top shelves folded flat in the store easy to miss.

hawkhill
Explorer
Explorer
We trained ours to keep away from the RV door using a water pistol. We also put a hook latch on our screen door that we can hook and unhook from the outside using the slide just in case they do something crazy like jump on the door and pop it open.
2015 RAM 3500 dually Deep Cherry Red Crystal 6.7 Cummins Aisin 6-Speed
2008 Carriage Cameo F35SB
Jeff "Loving DH"
Smokey & Purrshing, Our Ragdolls
Gordie, Springer Spaniel
True Blue, Aussie

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer

dhansen871
Explorer
Explorer
On this site... it has a collar with a sensor that can be used for up to 400 feet. they cost $100 each. But it would be cheaper than buying a vehicle for you concern(s).

http://www.loc8tor.com/pets/loc8tor-pet.html
Dave & DW Jodi
Max the Cat (RIP)
SoCal Mountains and Las Vegas

2007 Country Coach 430 Allure
2012 Jeep GC Overland

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with 2 cats and a dog. You're right ... dog... no problem ... cats ... always a concern.

First, our cats absolutely love our camper. We have the camper parked at home and do a lot of driveway camping. We have a doggie door on the back of our house and the cats will come to the camper when we are doing a driveway camp and want in. Once in, they don't want to leave! It's bizzar!

When on the road, they travel in a large cloth style pet carrier with the mash screen for sight and air. They travel well in there on the back seat of the truck. And it's safe transport from truck to trailer once at the campground, or if we need to stop somewhere. They cannot bolt out the truck door.

Once inside the camper, we ALWAYS pay attention to the door. I put a heavier screen door catch on so they cannot push it open so easy. This works well, and give us confidence, that even if they do scratch at the door, it won't open now.

Second, we always watch the door when coming in or out. And if the cats get courious about the door when we come in or out, we always give a "scat" or a "Swhoosh" sound to scare them back from the door.

They've NEVER attempted to bolt at the campgrounds. At home they do, that's OK, but never at the campgrounds we've been to. I think they know they are NOT home and actually are too afraid to try to leave the camper. They know that camper is their safe place! Even at home, they know it's safe.

That might be the secret to your success. Driveway camp at home and let the cats stay inside the camper. The more they are inside, the more comfortable they become with it, and it will be familiar to them when their outside surroundings change. They'll be terrified to go out, and won't even try.

Good luck. Enjoy the kitties!