cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Dog Crate

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
We got a new Golden Retriever puppy 2 months ago. At about 5 months we plan to take him with us as we tow our 5th wheel and he will travel in the truck with 2 crated (hard shell) cats. We haven't decided yet, but I've suggested a harness fastened to a seat belt. But I worry about the new truck interior when the puppy is alone while we dine. (Only in shade and windows open a few inches and not too hot as we are very aware of pet safety in a car).
The real issue is when we leave him in the RV while we go out. Our previous golden was thunder phobic and would destroy things trying to escape a storm, so we took along a metal folding crate. The problem was that it was heavy and cumbersome to set up if we were leaving with the possibility of a thunder storm. Since its use was infrequent (very well behaved normally), we kept it in the basement under other things and it was a pain to get to and set up.
Being a puppy, we are not sure how he will be for extended periods alone and I want to crate him for that and maybe bed time to avoid accidents and/or destroyed interior.
I suggested a collapsible fabric crate and DW says the puppy might destroy it. I think it is worth the risk. Does anyone have experience with these and a teething puppy? Any other suggestions?
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar
9 REPLIES 9

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
I got a Noz2Noz (aww!) Soft Krate. It has a locking system for the front and side zippers. I got the large and it just barely fits through the F350 Crew Cab back door. It folds into a light weight suitcase and seems well built. We'll see how it works out.

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
Our cats travel in a Vari Kennel and I prefer it to the folding metal crates like we have in the house for the pup. I've ordered a fabric crate and will see how it does. I was concerned about storing an airline crate when not using it and like the idea of nesting the top with the bottom and filling it with RV stuff. It's a possibility if the fabric crate doesn't work out.
At 4 months old, our 25 lb pup can travel to the vet in the cats' airline crate, but it is for a 30 lb dog and getting a little cramped for him.
I appreciate all the input.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
We take a folding metal crate, it folds up flat and stores easily.
We bought ours at Jeffers.com and has worked really great for us.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Airline crate. VariKennel, not the knock offs.

I've seen dogs that just put their paws on the side of a fabric crate and it flips right over. Not to mention just two bites will open a hole in a fabric crate. And offers no protection what so ever if in an accident.

Airline crate is chew proof and if used in a vehicle will keep them from harm in an accident. And X2 what BCSnob said about a crate that contains any bodily fluids a dog can offer up.

My friend was in a horrific accident coming back from a dog show. the TT jack knifed and the tow vehicle flipped over. The dogs in airline crates survived the ejection. The dogs in the wire crates did not. They exploded upon impact and broke apart and sadly some of them the broken wires of the crate themselves became lethal weapons to the dogs.

I've since switched to all airline crates. I have a set for each dog in the MH and another set in the Toad. They are always crated in vehicles in motion.

For those concerned about space when not in use. The airline crate can be broken down and nestled and used as an extra storage tub for RV stuff.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer crates that contain the mess from
Puppies not fully house broken
Car sick dogs
Bouts of the runs
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a folding fabric dog crate, but ours was for our adult lab to keep her confined in the RV for my sake. It's held up and was fine for the first few times we used it till she learned how to unzip it. Yes, unzip it. We came back to find her happily waiting for us inside the door with a big grin on her face with everything intact.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
This is our 3rd Golden, but at 4 months occasionally chews things he shouldn't, including the cats. LOL
I just may opt for a large, rather than x-large soft crate, for the next few months. He is crated at night for house breaking reasons and is learning to come get us when he needs to go out. The RV will be a new experience for him and I have seen others break training when not in their own home. I think we will just use a soft crate in the truck and in the RV for unsupervised time.
Thanks for the input.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Our dogs all had crates from the time they were puppies. it was their spot, their own bed, and private when they wanted. We used soft crates in the Motor Home, as both big dogs were uncomfortable travelling loose. Apparently they had too much room to roll around in, and had to brace against every turn, start, or stop. They traveled with their crates open, curled up snugly in their own private house.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbor purchased a fabric dog crate for his German Wirehair Pointer puppy - seemed to survive just fine. He now keeps it in his backyard as rain shelter for dog. FYI - I have owned a number of Golden's and never found a need to crate them in RV or otherwise - like most dogs you need to get a couple of camping trips under their belt.
Kevin