cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RVing w/ Pit Bulls

Rock_Wells
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy, anyone experience any trouble taking pit bulls along? Found a beautiful pit mix I would like to adopt...
Rock & Nan Wells
'17 Ram Laramie 3500 Diesel 4x4
'17 Keystone Sprinter 297FWRLS FW
35 REPLIES 35

RoyF wrote:
I question the idea that the trouble with pit bulls lies with the owners. An owner can be part of the problem, but there is a problem with the breed. Every breed of dog was developed for some purpose: terriers, retrievers, herding dogs, hunting dogs, all were bred for certain characteristics.

Pitbulls derive from dogs bred for fighting and bull bating. They were bred to to be aggressive, to bite and then hang on. In my opinion, the breed has no purpose in today's world and should be eliminated.

duplicate
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
You'll find out soon enough that a lot of RV Park will not let you stay in there park if you have one. It's called Liability. The park I'm in right now does not allow does not allow that kind of breed. It's listed in there park rules.

You may think there a wonderful dog to have, but there's people who just don't like being near that kind of dog, period.

jesseannie
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of wonderful sweet dogs that need a home. I would not choose any dog that was on an insurance companies list as a dangerous breed.
It is just not worth the hassle.
I work with a person with pit Bulls and they have given up camping and can't find a house/apartment to rent. Because of her *gentle, sweet* pit Bulls.
Jesseannie

PS Not being honest about your mixed breed pit bull is just begging for a huge lawsuit if something happens.

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
I once had a problem when the person checking me into a private campground decided my rescued mutt was a PB. I couldn't really say she was wrong. Who knows?

That was something like 20 years ago. I haven't been to a private campground since and the subject never came up again.
Larry

dturm
Short answer: you will have some restrictions regarding campgrounds that will accept that breed.

The fog of real facts concerning this breed is so obscured due to stories, hype and misinformation. Studies have shown that bites by breed (accounting for breed prevalence)puts many breeds at a greater propensity for biting than pits.

Identification of breed is incorrect in many cases, pits getting way more incorrect identification than others.

When pits do bite, they can an do cause major damage.

A certain amount of behavior IS genetic, but by no means is that tendency hard wired into every member of that breed.

As one who has worked with dogs for over 35 years, I'd choose working on a pit rather than a chi (not a condemnation of that breed :)) just from my experiences.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
It is the owners: yes....but there are so many BAD owners out there...and from generation to generation...IMO the incredible violence attributed to Pit Bulls is in the gene pool by now. Just my opinion.

British Bulldogs were originally bred and used for bull baiting. (Typical British.....lol) where a pit was dug, a bull pushed in...then a pack of Bulldogs tossed in....let's see who survives. Notice the Bulldog face: the nose is behind the mouth...so the dog can hang onto the bull and keep breathing.
Fortunately, over the years, this violence has been bread out of the British Bulldog and is now the most pleasant and tame.

Pit Bulls have a long way to go. You want to go camping? DON'T go with a Pit. Too many places won't let you in. I think there are maybe 4 breeds that the cg insurance companies forbid. I suggest you research this subject...and check out campgound websites. This type of info is most likely there. Call if you must. (And....if you lie about the breed, and something happens....there goes your house and everything you own)

Just my opinions FWIW.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
Most of he problems with dogs originates with the owners rather than the dogs.
Agreed! We inherited our son-in-laws Pit when he was in Afghanistan, and ended up with him for several years.. The dog we didn't want because of the breed profiling, insurance company restrictions with CG's, etc. . He died way early but was by far the nicesest and most kid tolerant dog I've ever met; just don't get between him and his ball ๐Ÿ™‚ Obviously that makes no difference to breed restricted campgrounds, and when we're dog ready again must take that into account.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

nickdarr
Explorer
Explorer
sher9570 wrote:
RoyF wrote:
I question the idea that the trouble with pit bulls lies with the owners. An owner can be part of the problem, but there is a problem with the breed. Every breed of dog was developed for some purpose: terriers, retrievers, herding dogs, hunting dogs, all were bred for certain characteristics.

Pitbulls derive from dogs bred for fighting and bull bating. They were bred to to be aggressive, to bite and then hang on. In my opinion, the breed has no purpose in today's world and should be eliminated.

And I guess this is why they were bred to be Nanny dogs, guarding babies and little children...dang, didn't know they were so dangerous.
I've know a few, see a few here and there while camping and have never had a problem.
One thing I did notice was that the RVer's that owned these dogs were ever vigilant with their dogs unlike some with little yappers, (I have two myself) that sometimes ran free and were totally loud and obnoxious.
Stick to state parks if you can, always have your baby on a leash and truly socialize her/him.
Good luck and have fun with your dog.

Sher

Please be careful with the Nanny Dog reference. As a former pit bull owner (died of old age), I thoroughly looked into that as ammunition against our insurance company. However, most pit bull advocacy groups have deemed this to be a myth derived from someone seeing a picture and writing about it. IMHO.
Darren, Peggy, two kids, and the Poodle pair
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab PSD
2016 Outdoors Creekside 27DBHS

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Been around many Pit-bulls. Some had to be shot while attacking us (police). Some were friendly. Hard to tell ahead of time which is which. They don't belong in RV parks.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have a Doberman that is restricted at a few places. For the most part he is welcomed in 95% of places I go to. However there are 1 or 2 places I avoid due to their restrictions. Overall it's not a problem but beware there are restrictions out there.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
My DW ran a pet shop for years and we made friends with several customers who had pit's. About half ended up with trouble caused by their dogs attacking somebody or something, and in every case the same thing immediately came out of the owners mouth, "but he's so sweet"
I know some were, but there is something about the way they are wired, they just seem prone to over reacting every once in a while, and when that over reaction injures or kills saying "but he's so sweet" doesn't help much. I have always had dogs, but I will not tolerate a mean one and choose not to deal with some breeds.

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
RoyF wrote:

And I guess this is why they were bred to be Nanny dogs, guarding babies and little children...dang, didn't know they were so dangerous.
I've know a few, see a few here and there while camping and have never had a problem.
One thing I did notice was that the RVer's that owned these dogs were ever vigilant with their dogs unlike some with little yappers, (I have two myself) that sometimes ran free and were totally loud and obnoxious.
Stick to state parks if you can, always have your baby on a leash and truly socialize her/him.
Good luck and have fun with your dog.

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
No breed restrictions in any Washington or Oregon State Parks.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Rock Wells wrote:
Howdy, anyone experience any trouble taking pit bulls along? Found a beautiful pit mix I would like to adopt...
Every Year more and more private parks are finding their insurance specifically excludes coverage for dangerous breed dog claims. Pit Bull Terriers top the list of dangerous breeds. We cannot and will not take on that liability. It's not personal, it business.