cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprained Foot

Twilite_Lady
Explorer
Explorer
Sydney was chasing a lizard in our backyard and hit the wall around the yard. She came in with a limp and we felt the leg and foot. She didn't wince or cry in pain so we believe it to be sprained. She's been limping most of the afternoon, when she's up moving around, and we've kept her to her side yard. Is there anything that we can do for the sprain other than limiting her access? She's looking pretty hang dog. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
DH - George USA Retired
DW - Twila
Sydney The Wonder Dog - Miniature Australian Shepherd
2015 Solei 38R
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport
10 REPLIES 10

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
Deb, Your story about Ike had me laughing! Our Mastiff, Sunny is not the sharpest tool in the box, and she does not deal well with change. She will stand and stare, if something is out of place. A stubborn Mastiff makes a pretty good roadblock, (we call her the 'cork breed'). DH doesn't get it and tells her, 'Go lay down'. I will try to figure out the problem. Smooth her blanket, refill the water, close the cupboard, etc. It's easier to do it her way!

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Twilite Lady wrote:
She's also OCD.

OCD stands for "Other Collie Derivatives" because it applies to most of the herders....LOL!! They're OCD and they're SMART. They easily put 2 and 2 together and come up with 4.

Ages ago, when Ike (my late Aussie) was maybe a year old, he was walking past our big air compressor just as Ed disconnected the air hose, so it made a HUGE PSSSSST!!!! sound that scared him - and that started the obsession with air compressors. Nail guns, tires being filled, air ratchets, paint sprayers - ALL were "terrifying" as far as Ike was concerned.

When we got our Class C, the next Christmas, I bought Ed a nice long-nosed tire pressure gauge-and-fill-chuck. When he opened it and took it out of the box (in our living room!) Ike took one look at it - his eyes bugged out and he ran upstairs and hid!!!! He figured out what it does?????? Good grief!!

I tried everything to get him past his fear of compressors - NOTHING worked. Then Ed took up the sport of drag racing, and we started bringing the dogs to the track with us, which we called "camping with the noisy cars" Dogs LOVED it. Then one day we were walking along the perimeter of the track, and someone fired up an air compressor for their tires. Ike went into his bug-eyed, panting, shaking routine (his paws would sweat profusely...LOL!) and exasperated - I said to him "There are air compressors everywhere here. You have to get used to it, or you can't come to the Noisy Cars any more" BINGO! From that point on, compressors rated a very sour face and pinned ears - but nothing more than that...LOL!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad she is doing better.

Twilite_Lady
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your input. We had a meeting last nite so I didn't get to post. She is doing really well and the swelling is gone. She's not so exuberant about chasing the lizards around the yard, right now. She's chasing them, just not like such a crazy person. She's also not trying to scale the walls either, which is a good thing,to catch them either. I don't know if she learned her lesson but I doubt it. Aussie's are the most stubborn breed I've ever had. She's also OCD. Once you do something the same way twice it always has to be that way. No changes, no changes! I can see that in her eyes when she looks at me. And we wouldn't have her any other way cuz that's just the way she is 🙂
DH - George USA Retired
DW - Twila
Sydney The Wonder Dog - Miniature Australian Shepherd
2015 Solei 38R
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Has there been any improvement after resting overnight?

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
If she is no better in a few days, check with the vet. It may be an ACL tear.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Just a thought, but check deep between her toes to make certain she hasn't picked up a burr that's imbedded.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Also know that dogs can break a toe. Tazz broke a toe running down a concrete boat ramp. She began limping. I checked and checked, and then noted the swollen toe. After a visit to vet a couple of days later (we were camping when it happened), she had some pain meds and the toe was left to heal on its own time.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
My Cattle Dog, true to breed, could play really rough and hard; and after colliding with various immoveable objects, would come up limping. (I finally took his soccer ball away) Just as Doug said, after a day of forced rest, if he still was limping, off to the vet we'd go. But about 99% of the time, he was fine by the next day.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

dturm
Pain medications and rest (ice if you really know which joint). If not better within a day or two, it would be best to check with your vet.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV