cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts on adding a new dog to the family

KampingKris
Explorer
Explorer
In December, we adopted a little male of mixed breeds (a little westie, little chi, little corgi... who knows?)
The elder Queen didn't think highly of the decision and there was some fallout at first - but no blood. And in the motorhome they had to learn to get along. We do crate the newcomer at night so the queen can have control over her kingdom.
It's been 3 months and they have worked out a relationship. She is the queen and he has accepted that. He reads her moods and keeps his distance when necessary. She does remind him sometimes with a growl but that's the end of it.
On the plus side, I do believe having a new dog has given her more energy and she's happier - even if she isn't ever going to be a dog cuddle buddy. She's never been particularly interested in other dogs.
They walk and run together. Sometimes the running ignites her desire to chase him down, but she's 11 and he's too quick to catch. She now spends her time plotting to steal anything he is interested by waiting patiently. He does the same. They both know that sooner or later the other will loose interest in the toy or bone and then it's free for the taking. She's never been interested in dog toys or cow hooves, but now she loves them all - because he likes them.
She'll even finish her dinner because now there's someone waiting to help himself.

I'm now sure this was a favorable change in her life.
KampingKris & FiremanSteve
Jada - American Eskie princess
2008 Tiffin Allergro Bus
2010 Polaris 850XP
2010 Polaris RZR
4 REPLIES 4

Tlauden
Explorer
Explorer
We got a puppy golden retriever last spring and introduced her to our 5 year old lab. Our lab was very accepting of the puppy and in no time at all they were best buddies!! maybenwe just got lucky but our lab is very gentle to begin with and has always been around small kids and other dogs, so that may have helped.
TT- 2015 Starcraft Travel Star 239TBS
TV- 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 6Spd Cummins Dually 4x4
Me, The wife, 2 furkids - Kozmo (6yr old lab) & Zoey (1yr old golden retriever)

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
What I do when introducing a new dog to the household is to introduce them on neutral ground. I did this about 10 months ago with a new pup and two older ladies, both 13. The pup was 8 weeks and was not on a leash. If he was older, he would be on a leash. I had one of the older girls on a leash and I had a bunch of favorite treats in my pocket. As soon as my wife arrived with the new pup, (we were at a park) the older girl was praised and given a lot of treats. This was repeated with the second older dog. Then we went home, and continued with the praise and treats. They now have been in the MH several times without any issues. Picking the right sex and breed for the new addition is very important. For example, I would not introduce another female into the house if I already had two alpha females. There are veterinarians who specialize in animal behavior who can provide expert advice on these issues.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
The only time that might not be right to introduce a new dog is when one of them is really old. We got Ben as a puppy when Jack the Cattle Dog was mostly deaf and pretty much blind. Through his life, he tolerated puppies fairly well; but at his advanced age, he was awful to Ben (and Ben pretty much left him alone).
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
In the animal kingdom on is always the leader. We have 3 Chihuahuas that go camping with us, Gypsy is the leader and if perturbed it only take a few growls for her to assert that she is the alpha female. The same with the yard dogs, or old Aussie is the Alpha Male and he reminds the others that he is the Alpha Alpha male, but there are no fights just growls and barks. They do enjoy each others company tho.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game