Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

tying up dogs

jepalmer
Explorer
Explorer
newbie question:

When sitting outside, how/where do you tie up the dog's lead?
The Dachshund won't be much of a problem, but the lab mix is a puller.....

Thanks
29 REPLIES 29

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Duplicate.....

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
This is how they do it in Rome.

Source: Terrierman Daily Dose (July 8, 2013)
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Never_2_late
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
We tie ours to the leg of the chair we are sitting in. That way we can completely keep track of what they are up to and can control them. If we both leave and go inside, they go inside.

I hope your dog is either light, OR your chair is heavy. Once I had a dog tied to a lawn chair on my patio. I was sitting talking when suddenly a rabbit jumped across the yard. The dog made a lunge and in a flash he was gone, the chair was ruined and I was on my rear end. :S

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We don't tie ours. She is on a leash sitting by our chair, laying on the step or on our lap. People also need to pay attention to how long they leave the dogs tied up an in the sunshine on warm days. I see too many left for hours in one spot in the sun while the owner lounges in the shade nearby. Why???

otis-agnes
Explorer
Explorer
We tie one to the picnic table and other to the stairs... just enough overlap for them to play but not get too tangled. Agnes
Otis, Agnes and Penny & Twinkie (our rescue pups)
2018 Grey Wolf 23MK
2019 Ford F250

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
Bill & Kate wrote:

This is what I use as well. Gus only gets tied out after dark when all the yappers are put away for the night. I used to tie him to my jeep bumper cause he could drag the picnic tables around. The new tables are too heavy so he now gets tied to the picnic table.
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have two lines hooked to the landing legs. As someone stated both our dogs are trained to not run at other dogs nor their owners. They grew up camping and travelling with us so that really helped. Spend the time with firmness and love and you will be able to use clothes lines instead of cables.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
Cables like this are very versatile. Can clip them to anything sturdy - table, steps, stabilizers, etc.

Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel

CentralCoastCam
Explorer
Explorer
We use the cable leashes secured to the picnic table or landing gear, depending on where we are. Though if it's hot, JD prefers to be inside with the AC, even with his summer haircut. Tried the portable pens. But the urge to investigate squirrels is to great to contain them.
'05 Keystone Challenger 34 TBH 5th wheel MOR/ryde SRE/4000, Dexter wet bolt kit
'05 HD Dodge 3500 DRW extended cab CTD, 4X4, 4:10 gears
Mike & Shannon
Son Kasey & Daughter Lindsay
Alaskan Klee Kai - Kade
Golden Retriver - JD (Just Dog)

lasparrot
Explorer
Explorer
3 or 4 sets of 4' high ex-pens! It is big enough to make a yard for the picnic table, our reclining chairs, and some grass space. The dogs can go in the shade or out in the sun, beside us or beside each other. It works for us. Our dogs are taught no feet on the fence, and they aren't jumpers either so they are easy to pen (4' high).

Those who have installed an eye bolt into frame of the trailer have a good idea too.
Laura and Carm traveling with 3 dogs & 1 African Grey Congo parrot in a 2010 Titanium 30e35sa 5th wheel - love it!
Blog: pursuitofidlepleasures / A dog's perspective: Spike's Journal

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
sch911 wrote:
We use this.

X2. We attach a steel cable leash to it and generally locate it so it stretches just to the TT door. Makes it easy to open the door and have there hook-up right there. If the ground is very hard I drill a 1/2" hole to get it started.

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
Picnic table for us.
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
Those pens are nice except my present blue heeler & last dog a border collie jump into the pickup bed when I get in to go someplace. I would need a pen over 6 ft high.

That's why they make lids for the ex-pens. Which also duals as a real nice top to attach a sun screen to. :W

Ex-pens allow the dogs to relax and enjoy the camping experience also. IMHO, JMHO They can move about freely and safely in an ex-pen with out choking and getting all tangled up around themselves and tangled around the campers and tables when tied out. I just don't trust staked out dogs at CG's. I won't walk my dog past CG sites with a staked out dog. I've seen to many break away.

Midwest Crate makes them.

I have them on all my ex-pens. Keeps children hands out and usually more often than not it keeps an adult from walking up and leaning over into my ex-pens with their face to pet my dogs.:R

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Picnic table -- suspect decent size dog spotting a squirrel might carry off most camping chairs.
Kevin