cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

vet prices

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I have two dogs, went in today to get their nails trimmed and their two shots. got dewormed and temp taken and it cost me $264 dollars. I thought I was going to need oxygen before I got my debit card out. but they are worth it, they are our babies.
36 REPLIES 36

love2rvcamp
Explorer
Explorer
We use Banfield vet offices that are in PetSmart locations. This makes it convenient when traveling. They has Dog Wellness Plans and they run about 325.00 a year. This includes:

Comprehensive Physical Exams twice a year

Vaccinations - Distempter/Parvo, Bordetella, Leptospirosis,Lyme disease,Rabies

Diagnostic Testing - Blood work, internal organ screens, heart room/lyme/Ehrlichia and ear swab and microscopic exam

10% off all medications and unlimited office visits.

We just took our Aussie in for her 2nd exam and she got the blood work, Bordetella and heart room test and we didn't have to pay anything.

She got a hot spot once while camping and we took her into the local Banfield and she was able to been seen and the only thing we had to pay for was the medication.

This is the second dog we have used Banfield and have not had any issues and love their wellness plans.
Mike and Michelle and 2 kids
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
2008 Rockwood 8313SS
Equalizer hitch with Envoy brake controller

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I had my akita, he tried to eat a box of styrofoam squiggles. He actually tried to pull the box out of my arms to get to them.

When his doctor told him to lose weight a while later, I started giving him rice cakes as a treat. I figured since he liked the taste of styrofoam... ๐Ÿ™‚

I'll add that Moose-dog is also polite and a slow eater. Bat-dog is an inhaler and will steel his dribbles and crumbs. And the more treats she gets, the more aggressive she is about stealing from him. So, normally, the only treat they get is their cookie when I leave the house without them. Moose-dog makes a run to another room as soon as I give him his putting distance between them. This keeps her tendencies to a minimum.

When camping, they get more treats if others are with us. I use the treats as encouragement for her to overcome her people fears. It works, her best camping buddy is a friend, Joe. He brings over any leftover meat after every meal for the dogs (and he ALWAYS makes more than he needs). I've actually had to forbid him from sharing with the dogs so much because Bat-dog starts getting territorial with him (as in trying to keep Moose-dog away from Joe the food source). Poor Moose-dog, he puts up with so much having Bat-dog as a sister...
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
toedtoes wrote:
Moose-dog is pretty picky about food. Bat-dog will eat ANYTHING. They do seem to prefer the stuff they shouldn't eat - so I always come across as a meanie for not sharing.
I have a similar situation. Mikko is a picky about what he eats and won't touch vegetables. Cooper will eat just about anything and loves frozen broccoli for a snack.

keepmotoring
Explorer
Explorer
Spent $847.47 last week. One urine test to rule out diabetes. Two blood works and an ultrasound to rule out cushings. One visit to see the vet due to sick dog. And then 4 packets for flea and tick meds. I was at the vets 4 days last week and they were only open 4 days.
LUVRVN

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moose-dog is pretty picky about food. Bat-dog will eat ANYTHING. They do seem to prefer the stuff they shouldn't eat - so I always come across as a meanie for not sharing.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Bizmark loves lettuce, too. Especially romaine ribs. Maggie likes the occasional carrot, but really isn't a veggie fan.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good to know about lettuce. Cooper loves salad, Mikko not so much.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
dturm wrote:
Erythromycin has a short half life in dogs, so it's usually given IV or orally three times a day. It has a little higher incidence of side effects (not so serious ones) so it's not used often any more as there are other choices better suited. Back in my early years of practice, it was a pretty effective antibiotic to use in some situations. Not a placebo at all.

The lettuce being toxic is a internet perpetuated false statement (FAKE NEWS :B)

The only peanut butters that cause a problem are ones with xylitol added as BizmarksMom stated.

Doug, DVM

Thanks! I think it's important to have statements like this vetted (no pun intended) quickly by a legitimate source rather than turn into a back and forth series of accusations. Someone looking on the Internet can come across these discussions and get very confused very quickly.

dturm
Erythromycin has a short half life in dogs, so it's usually given IV or orally three times a day. It has a little higher incidence of side effects (not so serious ones) so it's not used often any more as there are other choices better suited. Back in my early years of practice, it was a pretty effective antibiotic to use in some situations. Not a placebo at all.

The lettuce being toxic is a internet perpetuated false statement (FAKE NEWS :B)

The only peanut butters that cause a problem are ones with xylitol added as BizmarksMom stated.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
rockhillmanor wrote:
amena wrote:
... if a Dr gives you erythromycin for your dog its a placebo for you. it does nothing for the dog its a blank pill.

Can you explain further what you mean by this statement?

Perhaps Dr. Doug can verify if vets are giving us sugar pills instead of antibiotics.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Be happy. I took my 2 in for shots and nail clipping. $424 total.

$450. No nail clipping, multiple shots and heartworm checks. Love the vet and the practice but dislike new owner who jacked prices. Our vet saved our bloodhound's life 8 years ago. He's since passed but she's a keeper.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
amena wrote:
... if a Dr gives you erythromycin for your dog its a placebo for you. it does nothing for the dog its a blank pill.

Can you explain further what you mean by this statement?

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
Peanut butter is only a problem if it is sweetened with xylitol. I buy the kind with just peanuts and salt - it's perfectly fine for dogs.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

amena
Explorer
Explorer
i try to cut down vet bills by doing a lot myself. i give all shots myself except rabies, i trim my dogs nails myself. i found for dogs with mange that the lice stuff for kids will get rid of mange so that will cut down that cost. you can give pumpkin mix to a dog for constipation, pedialyte sp? will work fine for a dog who has severe vomiting or diarrhea. these are things my vet told me to do when i had a breeding kennel and took my dogs there. he saw i was treating my dogs good and was being a responsible breeder so he helped me cut costs. some people medicine is ok for dogs, Pepto-Bismol, cough syrup, if a Dr gives you erythromycin for your dog its a placebo for you. it does nothing for the dog its a blank pill. peanut butter, raisins, lettuce, and cooked onions are poison to dogs.