cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visualization request!

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
So, there was a lay-off from the cat TNR activities while I was moving and recuperating. But I am back in it now, with both feet, I guess.

Thursday evening I'll be trapping a group of cats at a neighbor's house, right across the street from me. There are seven, count them SEVEN that I need to get with one big pull of my strings/sticks, in six traps. Mama and four young kittens, plus two grown ones from her litter last year. The babies are about four months old. They all hang out and eat together, so they all have to be trapped simultaneously.

They "should" be very easy to trap, they are running into the traps before the food goes in. ( I had to push one out of the way tonight and these are third generation feral cats, for Pete's sake.) Feral or not, they like canned food. A LOT. And we've been feeding them in traps for a week now.

So please feel free to visualize me posting that I've got all seven in custody, ready for their Friday AM snipping appointment. It's in town about ten minutes away, so that will be a lot easier than previous events.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.
17 REPLIES 17

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
So how are the kitties doing, now that they're all back home? They must feel a little like Dorothy at the end of Wizard of Oz, except a little more ouchy. :R
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

WandaLust2
Explorer
Explorer
Code2High wrote:

Feral or not, they like canned food. A LOT. And we've been feeding them in traps for a week now.

I am so glad to hear when people are doing this. At least the cats get to live and NOT reproduce. I contacted a woman in Nashville to offer to help feed local feral colonies in my area,... but there are none. I don't know if that's good or bad. They don't seem to exist in rural and semi-rural areas. I'm guessing the predators get them all, just like they get so many pet cats out here.

As for the canned food. You probably already know the best deals are on the 13 oz cans. I feed any strays that show up here Purina Friskies. My cats like it too. WalMart has the lowest price on Friskies.
Mrs. WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
1999 Fleetwood SouthWind 32'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Lol Judy.... I think that is how the staff felt today. There was morr drama but no time to type and it didn't stop my lot and my add-on from getting done. I am home with seven fixed ferals and another five hours of work before bed.

Pics tomorrow of my not so happy customers.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't I see this script on I LOVE LUCY? :E Cats everywhere, Meow, meow, MEOOOOOWWWWW! Where's Ethel? :B
Darcy the Min Pin

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
It is on for tomorrow. Lights out.

Sunday, Calvin!
susan

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer

Calvin

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Weeeeeelllllll..... Not exactly.

The mobile unit broke down midway through the day's work and they hadn't gotten to my lot yet. So they are hopefully going to get fixed in Lancaster tomorrow, assuming the crew working on the truck tonight gets it into good order.

Which I am praying for, as I cannot/will not let them go (would never be able to recatch) and I do NOT want seven extra cats for the next couple of weeks until I could get it done elsewhere.

If I go I will be taking someone else's tame cat that I met there, she has another place she has to be but doesn't want her kitty having another litter. I'm totally down with that.

Visualize!
susan

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
How did the project go? Mission Accomplished? Waiting to hear about how these guys did. You must be worn out.
Darcy the Min Pin

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Code2High wrote:
They will be spayed/neutered, ear tipped, vaccinated, and given a pain shot all before they wake up.

Rough couple of days for them and I DO feel like a traitor but.... they will be so much happier and healthier, and so will the local bird population. Not to mentioned the retired couple that's been feeding them.

This is soooooo cool! It reminds me of the famous starfish story. You can't help all ferals, but you can make a difference to those ones. Are any of the kits adoptable or are all going back "home?"
Darcy the Min Pin

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Code2High wrote:
They will be spayed/neutered, ear tipped, vaccinated, and given a pain shot all before they wake up.

"Ear tipped"??? I had to look this one up - didn't realize it's sort of a sign that a cat is altered!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer

Rough couple of days for them and I DO feel like a traitor but.... they will be so much happier and healthier, and so will the local bird population. Not to mentioned the retired couple that's been feeding them.
susan

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Yay! Does the vet up there also give them shots? Good job, you traitor, you. :W
Darcy the Min Pin

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Staff for trapping, transport, care for mandatory hold period..... Euthanasia drugs...

Seven cats are not very happy at all with me tonight, and their reproductive careers will be ending tomorrow morning. Worked like a charm! Finishing cleanup there then dinner for me while they calm down before I shift them around for the night. Pics later.
susan

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Nice item on tonight's local NBC news about TNR (trap-neuter-release) programs and how the feral cats are caught, fixed and turned back to where they were. Reportedly it costs LA county $250 to catch, transport and euthanize a stray cat, so TNR is actually saving the county money. How could that possibly be, $250? If true, no wonder the state is broke. :E
Darcy the Min Pin