cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12 volt electrical issue-2003 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE 30

BarbH
Explorer
Explorer
We are traveling in our RV and today encountered a problem with our electrical system. We've done some trouble shooting and suspect it might be a weak/bad chassis battery. However, we are not sure and hate to start guessing. The battery is almost 4 years old, so replacing it is probably in order. The issue is that the generator will not start unless you use the battery boost button. Then when on 50amp. shore power the hydraulic leveling system turns on, but the jacks will not extend. When pushing the jack's buttons the air conditioning thermostat intermittently drags off & on. Does it make sense that we suspect the battery is weak and we might need a higher capacity battery to power our 120 volt equipment. It is a Ford F-53 chassis. Any advice and/or suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks, Barbara
6 REPLIES 6

BarbH
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the input! We will have the battery load tested and the connections checked today. Hopefully that will resolve this issue! We have kept up with the battery maintenance, however realize that almost 4 years is a long time for the chassis battery. Thanks again!
Thanks, Barbara

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
BarbH wrote:
......When pushing the jack's buttons the air conditioning thermostat intermittently drags off & on. Does it make sense that we suspect the battery is weak and we might need a higher capacity battery to power our 120 volt equipment......

The battery does not power the 120 volt equipment. What is happening here is that the 12v which is used to power the thermostat for the AC is being pulled down by the same battery/wiring/charging problem. Solve that and the AC will work again.

To learn more about the RV electrical systems have a look at The 12 volt side of life.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I would check the battery voltage right on the battery posts when trying to start the genny. If the voltage drops a way down then the battery is the problem. In that case I would check to see if the battery is being charged. If the battery voltage doesn't drop then the problem is in the wiring, most likely a bad connection.

Starting the genny takes a lot of current and it doesn't take much of a bad connection to create a problem.

Have you been doing the required battery maintenance, checking water levels and adding distilled water when required?
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Fleetwood99
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to RV.net.

I would agree. sounds like weak connection somewhere. Start with the Battery Cables. I have seen battery cables that look clean but, turns out after removal the contact surfaces were not clean. Wiring brush battery post Tool is a must to do the job right.

Good Luck and please post us after you find the gemlin.

Edited added: POWER OFF EVERYTHING FIRST before working on electrical 120AC and 12DC. GENSET OFF. SHORE POWER UNPLUGGED
99 Fleetwood Vision 36Zulu V10 Gas F53 Chassis
Hyd Leveling man/keypad (Powergear)
Electric Slideouts (Powergear) x2
2005' 4020 Fadal 4Axis CNC Mill w/24Datc
Hendy 16x72" WWII Navy Lathe 1800RPM

fischer
Explorer
Explorer
When things seam strange I would always suspect a dirty or bad ground. Follow the ground wires off the battery's and make sue they are clean and tight . Mine is bolted to the frame . when mine came loose I thought I had a bad battery.
2016 Winnebago 35B v10
2006 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Blue ox Tow Bar

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would have the battery load tested.
Sounds more like a bad(corroded) connection.
The slides should operate off the coach batteries and not the chassis battery.
Still sounds like bad connection.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker