cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

120 vac LED lights 240 service available

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Money is the object. A transformer is not part of the money plan.

240 service available at the well. Two wires.

240 vac lamps are to put it mildly, expensive.

But series connection of a pair of standard 120vac A27 base LED lamps would not be a problem. 30 watts each.

Due to security and budget a photoelectric cell control is not indicated the well would function at night.

I don't feel like purchasing close to 600' of single conductor wire then trenching it.

What is your hunch? I have doubts about series loading power supplies.
6 REPLIES 6

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
177 volts neutral and because the ground is sandy and can get dry as chalk or muddy I prefer not to trust ground for a neutral which is earth bonded about a quarter mile distant.

da_bees
Explorer
Explorer
If I understand what you said,two 120v in series will work fine. They should be identical,otherwise both will aluminate at same wattage as smallest lamp. You said it is 2 wire service. If that's two 120v wires and no safety ground wire,you can tap 1 of the 120v wires then drive a rod for neutral. If it's same 240v single phase as we have in USA,you can tap bare/green as neutral. Both jerry rigged 120v present a possible shock hazard to the unsuspecting so would not meet code around here but it works.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did something similar, but different. LOL.

Added a receptacle and plugged in an autoswitching plug in transformer (most EU compatible units will accept 120 or 220) that renders 12 volts , it was supposed to be for one of those jumpstart/ booster pack things.

Then any 12 volt LED is happy and works just fine.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
that shine with the brightness of a thousand suns.

I wish. When sunlight shines through a window onto my work bench it blasts my 50 watt chip right out of its boots. Made me feel better about fumbling around trying to make out number .5 font Chinglish.

At least the smoke will dissipate fast if there is an ooooops.

And thank you senor tuner upper of pianos. Spent the last few nights trying to discover the rendition of Moonlight Sonata I like best. Murray Perahia, plays a very directed rendition. Because thieves have been borrowing the equipment I'm afraid I will need more lumens to guard the jewels of the rancho.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it stands a reasonably good chance of working particularly if you put biasing resistors across the two bulbs. I would not be at all surprised if many of the better LED lamps are actually universal voltage under the covers; that's more and more becoming the standard for switching power supplies.

Little 50W or so travel transformers are easy enough to come by for ca. $15 and probably less with some hunting around. That should be sufficient for most LED bulbs, even derating 50% or so, though not for the MEXICOWANDERER special LED lamps that shine with the brightness of a thousand suns.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mex,

Here is a 240 volt for $3.95. (actually 85 volts to 277)

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-globes-and-a19-bulbs/a15-led-bulb-40-watt-equivalent-gl...
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.