cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12v battery tender to equalize 6v

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Walked by my friends trailer the other day. Noticed the 5a battery tender was hooked to a single 6v!!! I pulled it off right away. Wish i would have measured the voltage real quick. It had already been like that overnight so whats another 3 minutes to grab a meter.

Got to thinking. Its kind of like a poor mans equalization charge. Constant 5a dumping into it. Thought it was funny and wanted to share.

I did grab a meter and tested resting it was 7.5v i think. Somewhere around there. Pretty sure i could hear them bubbling away but it was windy. Will check water level at some point.

If you had some 6v on your trailer and no ability to equalize them its not the worse idea, to me. Of course you would also have to own a battery tender. We have 4 of them here. Not the most uncommon item for campers who have offroad toys. Those are usually the guys boondocking and like the 6v.

Would agree its not the safest approach. Like the anarchist cookbook from the 80s this is for entertainment purpose only!
7 REPLIES 7

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
I've EQ's a Neighbor's pair of GC-2s in series more than once successfully with my 13 to 19 volt meanwell power supply. It did not take a huge amount of time, nor were the cells wildly out of sink with each other, they were just ~0.010 lower than I knew they could be.

I make extensive use of voltage bucker modules and voltage booster modules and some combination buck/boost models, mostly to speed/brightness control fans or LEDs, but also for batteries different than 12v. Most of these have current limiting potentiometers too.

One can easily follow 5 amps per 100Ah of capacity till 16v is achieved with such a bucker device, no homemade inline 12v lightbulb current limiting devices necessary.

If charging 6v gc-2s individually were my objective, I could easily accomplish it without some 6v dedicated charging source, using a bucker, and I can and do charge 24v batteries from 12v sources too, using a booster.

Heres a link to a 20 amp bucker with current control.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
A 12v battery tender won't do anything on 1 6v battery. I have 2 of them.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Is it possibly a dual voltage tender? Are the two batteries disconnected from each other?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Yup i was surprised it started charging when it only saw 6v.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
That is a desulfation/equalization method but you need to attend the tender.

Many (not all) battery tenders have a desulfacation/equlize mode as well, it's automatic or supposed to be. When used on a 12 volt battery.

If hooked to a single six volt the better battery tenders will refuse to do anything but show you a RED "Fault" light.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
What does your friend have to say about it?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
The โ€œpoor manโ€™s equalization chargeโ€ exceeded the battery manufacturerโ€™s recommended equalization volts by?

Trojan says 7.35 volts for a six volt battery.
https://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-support/battery-maintenance/
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad