cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12V heater run straight from solar panel

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a heater product that can run off the 12V that comes directly off my portable solar panel? This would have to be something that can handle unregulated power that might peak up during bright sun and drop very low when a cloud passes by.
There is something special about camping in an RV.
26 REPLIES 26

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will be lucky to keep the 12v battery charged and burn propane running the furnace.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are a lot of 12v heaters on Amazon and Ebay.
Those 12v heaters are real power hogs. You would need a minimum 400 watts of solar to run a 300 watt heater. Which would put out very little heat in a large space.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Flute Man wrote:
I have a 12 V 300 W heater in my rally compartment. It draws 25 A so figure yours accordingly.
Electric heaters have a very simple formula.
Watts Divided by volts equals amps.

Did you buy it online? If so, could you share the link?

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 12 V 300 W heater in my rally compartment. It draws 25 A so figure yours accordingly.
Electric heaters have a very simple formula.
Watts Divided by volts equals amps.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
What if I bought 5 of these, wired them in parallel, and mounted them on a board?

PRODUCT LINK

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
A big resistor that can dissipate a lot of power at 12V, sufficient to be a useful heater, is also a low-valued resistor, on the order of one ohm (approximately 150 watts). Making your own with resistance wire would probably be easier and less expensive than finding and affording a commercially produced resistor, marketed as such. Having a few coils wired in parallel is probably a good idea, too.

I'd think, for heating with solar power, that a solar water heater (as in a black pipe in a reflective trough or something similar) and a radiator of some sort would be more efficient and effective overall. The cost would probably be lower, too.

Agreed. My basic motivations are like this: I have these solar panels and what if I used them to generate ~500W continuously? And to avoid the complexity of a water heater based system, I wanted to be able to attach the 1 ohm resister(s) to create passive and unregulated heat.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
A big resistor that can dissipate a lot of power at 12V, sufficient to be a useful heater, is also a low-valued resistor, on the order of one ohm (approximately 150 watts). Making your own with resistance wire would probably be easier and less expensive than finding and affording a commercially produced resistor, marketed as such. Having a few coils wired in parallel is probably a good idea, too.

I'd think, for heating with solar power, that a solar water heater (as in a black pipe in a reflective trough or something similar) and a radiator of some sort would be more efficient and effective overall. The cost would probably be lower, too.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
DarkSkySeeker wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
Even small 120 VAC heaters are 1200 to 1500 watts...

Thanks. Yeah, I was imagining a big resistor with a heat sink around it that would run passively. Perhaps I will find that.

That's what these electric heaters are. Resistor: NiChrome wire coil
Heat Sink: The surrounding air

The problem is that it takes many Joules to heat up that air and get ahead of heat losses thru the walls, air leaks and such. You can't sneak around the Laws of Thermodynamics.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe something like this would work for you ....

12 Volt heat lamp
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Even small 120 VAC heaters are 1200 to 1500 watts...

Thanks. Yeah, I was imagining a big resistor with a heat sink around it that would run passively. Perhaps I will find that.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Never encountered a heater that would run solely from solar.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even small 120 VAC heaters are 1200 to 1500 watts, that's a lot more than most peoples solar can put out. Heating is energetically expensive as is cooling aka air conditioning. But here are what is offered on Amazon

Be careful some are deceptive, the one 'universal heater' for example uses hot water from the engine block and the 12V is to run the blower motor.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper