cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12v wire thickness

timelinex
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2kw inverter and will be getting a 100a converter for my 2 100ah lifepo4 batteries. Currently I'm just using whatever ga wires came with everything (a bix of 4/6/8).

I am planning on changing everything to connect through a BUS BAR and upgrade all the cabling to heavier ga. I want to future proof it to handle a 3kw inverter.

It's been REALLY confusing figuring out what wires I need. ALMOST everything online "(forums and articles) tell me I need something like a 4/0 guage, which is HUGE. That makes sense considering 3kw can reach 200-250 amps. Except the fact that no OEM items come with something nearly this thick.

I think the reason all these recommendations may be wrong is they do not account for length of wire being very short in our use cases.

Can anyone confirm?

I've found this site, which DOES take into account length:

http://www.offroaders.com/technical/12-volt-wiring-tech-gauge-to-amps/

It looks like considering everything is definitely under 4ft, I won't need anything over 4ga. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that ampacity is over max 4ga rating when you look it up.

Using this calculator: https://baymarinesupply.com/calculator I get 2ga for my 2kw and 1/0 minimum for the 3kw. If this is the case I would likely go with 2ga to save money and more importantly because I don't even think the 1/0 would fit in the current inverters lugs.

Can anyone make any recommendations based on actual knowledge and not just heresay or making best guesses?
32 REPLIES 32

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Wiree size is commonly in the owner's manual.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
No room for 2 wires from post to post.

I just replaced all my battery terminal screws with slightly longer stainless steel bolts, with a lock and regular washers. They are all M8s for thread size and diameter. This is to allow two large terminals to be stacked for paralleling my batteries and allow plenty of thread engagement. Each battery has two connections per terminal, on one end battery is the inverter, and the other, the lines to the buss bars and battery cutoff.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a hydraulic crimper for less than $40. Hydraulic Crimper on Amazon

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
ktmrfs wrote:
Hydraulic crimper and 20 seconds and your done with a long lasting gas tight seal.

Once I get to an 8ga or smaller wire, out comes the hydraulic crimper.

A few years ago I installed a Victron inverter in my truck camper.
I bought a Temco hydraulic crimper. I built all of my own cables.

Video about my Temco Crimper

Another video: Building Battery Cables with TEMco Industrial TH0005 Crimper
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
ktmrfs wrote:
exactly. a 2KW inverter will draw 200A or more, 4ga isn't even adequate for a 1KW inverter if you intend to run anything near rated output for more than 15 seconds or so.

YEP!
Back in the 90s, (1991-1999) I worked for Heart Interface, the predecessor to Xantrex.
All of the 2kw and bigger inverters had 2/0 cables.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
timelinex wrote:
It looks like considering everything is definitely under 4ft, I won't need anything over 4ga.

Smoke (and flames) will escape from the wiring if you use wire that small and a 2kw inverter.

exactly. a 2KW inverter will draw 200A or more, 4ga isn't even adequate for a 1KW inverter if you intend to run anything near rated output for more than 15 seconds or so.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
^Great, you have a shop that provides you good deals on cables. I work on a lot of vehicles and never needed that many cables over the years.
Still doesnโ€™t make any sense why they would โ€œneedโ€ to be hydraulically crimped as you said above, though.

you probably could get by w/o a hydraulic crimper, but lots more work and time to get a good crimp. Hydraulic crimper and 20 seconds and your done with a long lasting gas tight seal.

Once I get to an 8ga or smaller wire, out comes the hydraulic crimper.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
timelinex wrote:
It looks like considering everything is definitely under 4ft, I won't need anything over 4ga.

Smoke (and flames) will escape from the wiring if you use wire that small and a 2kw inverter.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
There is no reason why you could not use lugs like this sized for your selected cable. If you aluminum lugs like these insure you use a de-ox compound.
electrical lugs

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Great, you have a shop that provides you good deals on cables. I work on a lot of vehicles and never needed that many cables over the years.
Still doesnโ€™t make any sense why they would โ€œneedโ€ to be hydraulically crimped as you said above, though.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
go to a welding shop and buy the length of welding cable in the gauge you want and have them put logs on it for you. Many shops can do that.

Otherwise you'll need a hybraulic crimper. And based on what I've done I'd suggest and least 2/0 wire if not 3/0. Most inverters have a low voltage shutoff and a few tenths of a volt drop can make the difference in inverter running and inverter shutting down.

And make sure you use the correct fuse to the inverter. they are big, bulky but meant to protect under the high load conditions.

Welding cable has lots of very fine wire so it is very flexible and easy to route.

OP, you donโ€™t need anything elaborate like having cables prefabricated or a hyd crimper.
You can buy any number of clamping or solder/crimp lugs that can be attached with basic hand tools. But you โ€œcanโ€ make elaborate cables if you wish.
Regarding wire size, the responses are all over the board here. Many who just think bigger is better. (It is, but doesnโ€™t mean itโ€™s necessary) I used a wire size calculator real quick to provide my recommendation. You should do the same. You have the data. Itโ€™s that easy.

around here welding cable is very reasonably priced, pay by the foot, lugs are sold individually and the shops I deal with will crimp for free if you buy the cable and lugs. makes it easy peasy, and quick. And usually cable is available in red or black, from AWG 6 down to 4/0. Quick, easy, affordable and your good to go.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
You can always run extra cables if you initially chose too small. I ran 0 gauge for my 3000 watt inverter. I've been able to run the air conditioner on that with no cable heating at all. If I need more capacity, I will likely just add another run of 0 gauge since I have plenty of it. Now I'll likely increase the gauge for the wires between the batteries if I have to. No room for 2 wires from post to post. Oh, and I ordered welding cable on line. Very flexible and easy to work with.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ktmrfs wrote:
go to a welding shop and buy the length of welding cable in the gauge you want and have them put logs on it for you. Many shops can do that.

Otherwise you'll need a hybraulic crimper. And based on what I've done I'd suggest and least 2/0 wire if not 3/0. Most inverters have a low voltage shutoff and a few tenths of a volt drop can make the difference in inverter running and inverter shutting down.

And make sure you use the correct fuse to the inverter. they are big, bulky but meant to protect under the high load conditions.

Welding cable has lots of very fine wire so it is very flexible and easy to route.

OP, you donโ€™t need anything elaborate like having cables prefabricated or a hyd crimper.
You can buy any number of clamping or solder/crimp lugs that can be attached with basic hand tools. But you โ€œcanโ€ make elaborate cables if you wish.
Regarding wire size, the responses are all over the board here. Many who just think bigger is better. (It is, but doesnโ€™t mean itโ€™s necessary) I used a wire size calculator real quick to provide my recommendation. You should do the same. You have the data. Itโ€™s that easy.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
CA Traveler wrote:
Goog suggestion but I've never seen 4/O jumper cables, maybe from a tow truck?

Check jumper cablles as you want solid copper and notf copper coated alumiinum,

4' will limit the cost,

Problem is home depot was selling cable in 6ft lengths.

The 4 gauge was in the auto section and at 50amps, not too critical.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV