cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1996 Ford F53 Radiator ChangeOut to a Heavy Duty Radiator?

BobnSofi
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All, The stock radiator is old and leaks, and we would like to change out the stock 2 row Ford F53 Motorhome Radiator, with a 4 row OSC 131 radiator (F53 radiator)

The OSC is shaped differently, has a few extra tabs, inlet cap on the inside, etc.

Has anyone ever changed out a stock Ford Motorhome radiator to a heavy duty F53 model radiator?

The stock F53 Radiator (2 row, $600)

The OSC131 (4 row, $300)

The project vehicle below
11 REPLIES 11

rkentzel
Explorer
Explorer
All the replacements that fit your F53 will have 2691CBR as part of the part #. It will not cool properly.
Your OEM radiator does an excellent job of cooling. Get it repaired.

I installed one of these radiators and it cools just fine. I did change the fan clutch also because it was leaking some type of silicone fluid also. Maybe you had another problem but mine cools fine and its built very well.

Fan clutch installed was a Hayden severe duty 2799
1997 Pursuit class A

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Hummmmmmmm . . . . a two plus year old post which the original poster never followed up on. What a surprise. (I do like the photos) Now we're talking about JC Whitney. I'm 61 now. When I was 16, even in a pinch, I wouldn't wipe my backside (or yours) with a JC Whitney catalogue. Why bother, . . . . now Harbor Freight hits us head on. Just a little humor to brighten up your day.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A custom radiator can be an exact fit and cool twice as good as the standard radiator or some inferior monster with glandular problems. All that shroud rework headache for an inferior cooling system.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Bob I bought the same replacement radiator that JC Whitney is selling.
Beware! It has 15 fins per inch instead of the 20 fins per inch on your OEM radiator, and smaller tubes. The same radiator is available on the internet for $470.00.
http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/performance_radiator_oe_replacement_radiator/PERRA38918/performanc...

All the replacements that fit your F53 will have 2691CBR as part of the part #. It will not cool properly.
Your OEM radiator does an excellent job of cooling. Get it repaired.
I am in the process of adapting brass end tanks to my OEM radiator and junking the replacement that I bought on the internet. Just one of the mistakes that I made with my F53.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

BobnSofi
Explorer
Explorer
OSC Radiator distributor training video attracted me to their product

http://www.oscooling.com/content/training

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
DO A COOLING FIN COUNT. How many fins per inch? HOW MANY TUBES PER INCH? This stuff is WAY important. I have seen 4-row radiators cool WORSE than high fin and tube count TWO ROW radiators. Yes the high fin and tube count radiators cost more but don't be conned by someone offering a low fin and tube count radiator who claims "better cooling". Been There Done That Dept...

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Good call 96Bounder. I'd be a tad leary trying to retrofit a 4 row.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://www.jcwhitney.com/performance-radiator-oe-replacement-radiator/p3038917.jcwx?skuId=4343084&fi...

This is the one that I bought.........why not use one that other people have used and is proven to work......the best thing about this radiator is it has a copper core and brass tanks........and it fits without modification!
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip

BobnSofi
Explorer
Explorer
OK, so the way to do this is to put an new OEM Ford radiator in?

Who makes a 4 row radiator that will fit?

Thanks for the links!

da_bees
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a good desision if you can make it fit. Aside from mounting in place and conecting hoses and transmission lines if so equiped,make sure;
there is no route for air to flow around radiator(path of least resistance.
fan shroud is properly installed.
And for good measure,install new t-state.

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is some good info.......Past thread

Bob,

I would be very surprised if that 4 row will fit...Mounting points are very specific......If you decide to be the guinea pig........be sure and come back and report your findings.......
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip