cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1997 Itasca Sunrise Engine Rebuild - Lost Oil Filter Adapter

glfrank
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1997 Itasca Sunrise with the Chevy 454 TBI. The engine needed a rebuild so our first mechanic pulled the engine out and we sent it to the rebuilder. Now the engine is back and in the chassis.

It seems between here and there somebody has misplaced the oil filter adapter that bolts to the block. My mechanic says it would have four bolts.

The GM part number is 12562830 and GM has discontinued it. I have spent the last 3 days calling all of the country trying to track this part number down.

Would anybody have any suggestions for places to call for this part? If I cannot find one, what are my options? My mechanic suggested we might need to find a new block and move everything over to that, but I really don't want to do that ๐Ÿ˜ž
17 REPLIES 17

glfrank
Explorer
Explorer
This looks very promising. The original part looks like it had leg that extended over to where the oil cooler lines go into the block. The holes look big enough to allow the oil cooler line fittings to pass through to screw into the block.

The main body of this new part looks like the main body of the original part. I am going to call my Chevy dealer to see if I get my hands on one.

Thanks guys!!!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You can enlarge to see part 19 for part referenced by Bucky
Part 19

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think I found one that will work. PM your email or a fax # and I'll send a drawing. Part number is 12559660 listed for a 7.4 4WD pickup. It is still available thru any GM dealer at $67.29 plus any tax. Your chassis was not built with the engine oil cooling option, so I'm thinking that if they used GM stuff this would have been the one.
Puma 30RKSS

glfrank
Explorer
Explorer
The motorhome is 1997 and the chassis is 1996.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just called a buddy that works at a Chevy/Workforce dealer. He was not able to help. The factory cooler lines do not go into the adapter on the Vortec engines which began in 1996. What year is your chassis? PM me the VIN if you wish, I can go further with that info.
Puma 30RKSS

glfrank
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky,

Would the VIN number help?

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see the problem with your part number. It's listed for a P30 chassis which would be correct, but a 5.7, not your 7.4. Let me dig some more.
Puma 30RKSS

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
gfrank, I think I've seen aftermarket hose adapters from aftermarket cooler manufacturers. They're basically a thick plate that goes on where the filter would normally go. The hoses come out one side, and the filter screws on the bottom.

You might have some luck trying a search for 'engine oil coolers'.

Jim, "Make three consecutive correct guesses, and you've established a reputation as an expert."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

glfrank
Explorer
Explorer
bucky,

The part number came from the local Chevy dealer. The oil cooler lines attach through it it into the block. If you look at the picture those are the holes on the arm extending to the right.

westend,

I paid a service 6 bucks to supposedly put my part request on a hot sheet that goes to a few hundred different places. So far no luck.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where did that part number come from? It's coming up as a bad number. If your MH is a Workhorse chassis it will block me from looking it up as we are not a Workhorse dealer.. The main question is does the unit have an oil cooler that hoses connect to? If so I think a 12564010 will work. It is also discontinued, and no dealer in the US shows it. If it doesn't have a cooler than there are others you can use.
Puma 30RKSS

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I get to work I'll run it for you.
Puma 30RKSS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Have any of the salvage yards put your request up on the "hot line"? I would think that there is at least a few of them sitting in a yard somewhere. I wouldn't mention "RV" when searching, it only confuses the salvage guys.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

glfrank
Explorer
Explorer
Thank for all the replies. Unfortunately this is not a part made by any after market manufactures I could find. It needs four bolts to attach to the block and it is custom to this particular motor. GM made this part only for this engine and then discontinued it.

I have been calling around to salvage yards all over the country with no success. I was hoping somebody could recommend any salvage yards that specialize in RV's.

Here is a picture of what it looks like.

http://postimg.org/image/p30b8s7vn/

retired-tech
Explorer
Explorer
i would not be supprised if your local auto parts store has a replacement part. or the race car part will work with the right adapters
2014 North Country teardrop in wood
2009 Cougar 320 SRX