cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 - 2000 watt vs 1 - 3000 watt noise level

Kafn8td
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm looking at purchasing either 2 2000 watt Honda or Yamaha or 1 3000 watt Champion. I chose the 300 watt Champion for the good reviews AND the overall height. It is the only 3,000 I can find that will fit beneath my lockable aluminum tonneau cover on my F-250.

I will use it to recharge and also for the AC, hence the reason for the higher watts.

My question is, How does sound work in reference to having 2 2000 watts running versus the 1 3000? Will the 2 be considerably louder?

I don't think I've ever heard 2 - 2000's running together, however it would be great to only have to fire up one if I am only recharging. Thoughts?
36 REPLIES 36

rgwilliams69
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats - that's the way I would have gone and I absolutely loved my 3000 for the three years I used it. Only reason to get rid of it was the diesel genny on the motorhome. You will get plenty of great years from it with only oil changes. Never had to do a thing to mine and I had hundreds of hours on it. Cheers!
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH (Sunlit Sand)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (Black) Toad
Demco Base Plate & Commander Tow Bars

Kafn8td
Explorer
Explorer
So to report back...I ended up with the Honda EU3000IS. My neighbor who is a Honda small engine rep and my motorcycle riding buddy recommended it over the other combinations - hands down, no questions.

He had a list of reasons, but I'm glad I listened to him. I can't believe how quiet it is. He brought home 2 - 2000's and we fired them all up. There's no comparison to the volume. The 3000 is considerably quieter under load or in eco mode.
The downside is the weight and size. It is a heavy pig, my wife and I can easily toss it in the bed of the truck, but to do it by myself I have to say a few curse words.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Ah but the 2k does 13 amps and the 3k 23.3 so two 5 year olds to one eight year old is a better "fit".

Yep ... you're absolutely correct! Non-linear it is.

I guess Mex had indeed drunk enough coffee before writing that ... it's me that didn't drink enough coffee before responding to it. 😉
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Phil,

Ah but the 2k does 13 amps and the 3k 23.3 so two 5 year olds to one eight year old is a better "fit".
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rick,

Have you considered the Yamaha EF2400iS inverter generator?

This seems to be the perfect little generator for running a 13.5K RV air conditioner. Not many folks talk about it in the forums, so I think it may be getting overlooked a lot:

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/powerproducts/models/inverter-ef2400ishc

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEX wrote:
This is somewhat like asking "What's quieter, one eight-year-old boy or two Five-year-olds?

Was you comment non-linear on purpose?

Shouldn't you have instead commented "What's quieter, one eight-year-old boy or two four-year-olds?"

:B

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
When comparing a parallel set of EU2000's, an EU3000iS, and/or a Champion 3100 (75531i), sometimes power (specifically inrush) trumps sound level.

I happen to have a 13,500 BTU a/c with an LRA of 63 amps. Didn't mind paying more than double the money for the quieter Honda's. However, I quickly discovered neither of these Honda configurations could start my a/c unless the Eco mode was turned off. With the Eco mode off the Hondas, were continuously louder (vs. Eco mode on), used more fuel, and incurred more wear and tear.

On the flip side, the Champion 3100 would start this very same a/c with the Eco mode on. So, for my situation, the Champion 3100 was the smarter choice. The Champion had higher sound levels than the Hondas when the compressor was on, had same or lower sound levels(*) than the Hondas when the compressor was off . . . and saved me almost $1200.

(*) When under the same minimal load (compressor off), the Champion 3100 running with the Eco mode on, (to my ears) is quieter than a pair of EU2000i's with the Eco mode off, and is almost as quiet as an EU3000iS with the Eco mode off.

Kafn8td
Explorer
Explorer
Actually the original poster stated specifically that it would be used to run the AC.

pianotuna, of course if given the choice I would plug in. I've never been to a race that had that option however. Also when we go to the Black Hills, we park in a campground (if you want to call it that)without any services. It is at a trailhead into the mountains for the dirt bikes and close to the road so we can jump on the street bikes and go to Sturgis at night.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Kafn8td wrote:
You know what I like about this forum? Other people apply their situation to everyone else's, and they think they have to give there opinion on the subject even when they have nothing productive to add.

I can afford gas to run a generator, all day if I need to. I often race in hot, humid conditions and need a way to recover. Being 51, I don't recover like I used to.

Yup, and the OP didn't ask about running the AC or about racing, or about your ability to recover, or not recover. Very useful post. I like it. Even though it doesn't apply to me, or the OP.

Two or three thing I like after racing... lots of pickle juice so I don't get cramps... oh, and a recovery drink or three, then some beer.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Kafn8td,

So, given a choice of Shore Power or running a generator all day to operate the air conditioner, which would you choose?

I urbandock a great deal because of my profession. I do it by choice. I'm not going to come home to a "hotter than Hades" RV. Running a generator 24/7 implies changing the oil in it every four days. I don't want to do that, either. It is far cheaper to go to a campground if one is available.

Not only will two 2k units be noisier than one 3k unit, the maintenance is doubled. It is rare to find a reliable 2k unit that has electric start and/or remote start.

I'm fortunate to be able to run the roof air from the battery bank/inverter for some time. I do have to recharge quickly if I do so. That can be done on a single 15 amp shore power circuit.

Because I chose a load support inverter, I could run my air from a single 2k unit. I chose not to because I want electric start and remote start.

My ultimate goal is to be able to run the roof air from solar/battery bank/inverter.

Kafn8td wrote:
I can afford gas to run a generator, all day if I need to. I often race in hot, humid conditions and need a way to recover. Being 51, I don't recover like I used to.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Kafn8td
Explorer
Explorer
You know what I like about this forum? Other people apply their situation to everyone else's, and they think they have to give there opinion on the subject even when they have nothing productive to add.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
This is somewhat like asking "What's quieter, one eight-year-old boy or two Five-year-olds? The only time I could ever afford to camp with A/C was when diesel was priced at fifteen cents a gallon down here. "Camping with A/C" is as impractical as backpacking with a memory foam California King".

Kafn8td
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys and gals, I think I'm going to order the Champion with the remote start. For under $1,000 I don't think I can beat it.

I know a couple of "tricks" that get the dirt bikes to pass sound testing at the races and lower them by 3 - 4 db. Once it arrives, I'll see if I can make it any quieter.

rgwilliams69
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
The Champion 3000i, Does have variable throttle, you are thinking of the non_inverter models

Yep, I looked up the wrong one... Sorry.
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH (Sunlit Sand)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (Black) Toad
Demco Base Plate & Commander Tow Bars