cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2004 6 liter ford problem

faucet1
Explorer
Explorer
In Kingman, AZ at Ford Dealership with a broken injector. Started up an incline outside Kingman when smoke poured from the engine. Ford said the tip of one of the injectors had broken off. They pull the injector and inspected the cylinder wall with no apparent damage. Anyone had a problem similar to this with their 6.0 PS?
2002 Monaco Diplomat 40 PST Triple Slide
Toad-88 Ford Mustang GT-Stick
David and Jean
19 REPLIES 19

faucet1
Explorer
Explorer
After giving consideration to my age, and how long I might use/do RV travel, we decided to go with a new engine Ford has to offer. The cost is 15k with a 3 yr unlimited milage. Even though the truck is an 04', has always been garaged, etc, it's in good condition. It's always hard to make a decision of this magnitude with a 10 year old vehicle. Thanks very much for your thoughts and suggestions and I pray none of you have to go through this, especially 2,000 miles away from home base. Take care.
The old drip(Faucet1)
David and Jean

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
We have more than our fair share of 6.0 Diesels in our fleet, to tell you the truth they have their problems but havenโ€™t been near as bad as the newer 6.4 diesel.
Cracked injector tips are very common but Iโ€™ve never had one that broke off. We have also seen broken rocker arms on many of them.

If it really needs head work or something more I would seriously consider a complete reman engine from Ford. It will come with all the updates and a warranty good at any Ford dealer.
I donโ€™t know what a 6.0 installed goes for right now but I just had a 6.4 Ford reman done on a F550 installed and out the door for just under 14K.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
faucet1 wrote:
Well guy's, sad news. After doing a compression test, the No. 5 cylinder won't hold pressure. So, the repair estimate is about as much as the value of the truck per the Ford Dealer in Kingman. Not really sure of the best approach since Savannah, GA is home base.

I would say most likely the broken tip is in the cylinder and stuck in between the exhaust valve and it's seat. Maybe they can get it out without a complete teardown/overhaul. Don't give up just yet.

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry Faucet1 feel your pain ..we had, I say had ..an 04 6.0 and back in Sept. of 2011 had the #7 injector******out 4000 miles from home. Truck had 81,000 miles on it at the time. Screwed up our trip. Got it home and didn't tow with it again. Sold it in Oct of 2012 and bought the F-150.
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ๐Ÿ˜‰

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know any Mechanics, in Kingman. If you can do it yourself, a head gasket, head and injectors is still going to be expensive.
I would call Ford Customer Relations and ask if they can help.
If you always buy Ford perhaps...
Sad to say the 6.0 has been a problem for many.
I had an 05 6.0 and no problems but Neighbor had several. Traded it and let them fix it and deduct the repair from the value his broken truck, in the trade in.
Sound like you may be in the market for a new diesel.
There is a diesel forum and a Ford diesel forum, on the net, I use to subscribe to.
I don't know which brand is best.

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Awww, man, really sorry to hear that.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

faucet1
Explorer
Explorer
Well guy's, sad news. After doing a compression test, the No. 5 cylinder won't hold pressure. So, the repair estimate is about as much as the value of the truck per the Ford Dealer in Kingman. Not really sure of the best approach since Savannah, GA is home base.
David and Jean

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Get rid of that 6.0 ! Its a NIGHTMARE waiting to happen. Can U say Complete engine rebuild is in your future.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

Tom46
Explorer
Explorer
I finally gave up on my 05 6.0 ltr Ford after 3 sets of injectors in 150k miles. If you are over 100k miles expect problems. Have the tech replace all injectors while they are in there. there is minimal additional labor. My local Ford dealer won't sell a used 6.0 because of all the problems they have seen here is SW Colorado.

faucet1
Explorer
Explorer
Bought the truck new, and has 110,000 highway miles on it. Been a good truck until now.
David and Jean

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
Faucet1
Just curious.
Did you buy this truck new or used and how many miles are on it?

I have to agree with your position of if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Especially given the price of a set of injectors.

As to metal shavings left in the cylinder. If the shop believes the cylinder to be debris free ask them to make that statement on the invoice.

JamesBr
Explorer
Explorer
At about 5200 hours and 148k on the truck I had my number 2 injector pintle stick wide open. The tip was still there just wedged inside the injector. I replaced the whole left bank at that point.
2006 Ford F350 6.0
2014 Primetime Sanibel 3600
Enough other vehicles to not bother listing.

Previous RV: 2001 Monaco Knight

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Curious as to how many miles you have on it.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds