cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 different exterior keys really needed?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have two exterior doors each with a different key and the pass-through slam latches have the same style of key. Is there any necessary reason for this? Maybe it's because it's cheaper and less hassle for the TT manufacturer to do it that way.

I'd like to get the locks re-keyed to match so I only have to carry one key around. I can't see a problem as long as I don't change the one on the main entry door so that a dealer can still get in? It's also annoying to have to keep looking at the number on the key to make sure I have the right one the first time.

There's also a 4th key - the exterior shower door but that's easy to just keep inside.
12 REPLIES 12

raroberts
Explorer
Explorer
A dealer once told me that the locks with the M stamped on them are masters and the dealer's master key fits them. If they don't have the M they are not masters and the dealer keys don't work. On my trailer I have 3 different keys for entry doors. 2 side doors and the back ramp. My deadbolts are stamped with an M and the handle locks are not. Also both the rear ramp locks have the M.
08 F450 4X4 Lariat
07 Stellar 37' 5W Toyhauler
95 XR600R
03 XR400
07 660 Rhino
75 Z1B

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes. Go get several copies of your keys and have spare sets. Hide one in your fridge access panel. Another set in a non locking bay. I put copies of the door key on my every day ring and don't carry a full set of Rv keys to lose.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

leggy
Explorer
Explorer
All of this info would have helped me a couple of years ago, when my wife and I were trading FW and stayed the night in the dealers parking lot, only to both go out in the rather cold morning to walk the dog. Only then did we realize that the doors were still locked and truck keys were in camper AND many hours until shop opened up. Sale models were open but alos cold. Had to undo a window....

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
I doubt the valet idea.

If you leave the rig for the week at the shop, they have plenty of time to pick to the lock.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

youngone
Explorer
Explorer
I got locked out of my 5th wheel this summer at a campground. Key cylinder would not turn in my deadbolt.. So I have a drill and plenty of bit sizes in my storage compartment. Drilled out the cylinder and then took my screwdriver and put it in the drilled out cylinder hole and turned the deadbolt open. I have a couple of spare cylinders in my tool box. Then I put another cylinder in the slot . I had to take the door handle off the door to lock the cylinder in place. Real easy.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I forgot to mention a detail about the door lock with two keys. Dealers have masters to the latch but the dead bolt lock they do not. If you don't hand out the the DB key nobody can make a copy of it.

Again, I can pick it in less than a minute. And barrel keys are the easiest to pick.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I unlocked, went in my FW one day, while it was parked in the drive way. After locking up again, went to hang keys up in garage, only to find the FW keys were still there. I looked at the keys in my hand, and see they were for my enclosed snow trailer.

I also got a new slam latch set for my FW, under warranty. They sent the latches, but no keys. Ok, I tried the old keys, and with a little jiggling,twisting, turning hard, they worked. Just for the heck of it, I tried the FW door entry key, and it worked perfectly. The door key would not open the old slam latches.

Now I can open them all with one key, including my snow trailer side door.

Jerry

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna wrote:

You can give a door key and the key to the fuel/engine to a service person but they can't (theoretically ) open your stuff in the bays.

That's a good point. I trust our dealer but we could be far away from home and have to stop at a repair shop and know nothing about them.

For 2014 KZ changed to slam latches and the keys don't look like a CH751. I can't go out and check now as I just dropped our TT off at the dealer for a little warranty work. Sounds like maybe we should be keeping the storage key in our truck instead of somewhere in the TT where it could be found.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a method to the madness. It's a valet design.
You can give a door key and the key to the fuel/engine to a service person but they can't (theoretically ) open your stuff in the bays.

The fact is most RV locks are very common CH series. Plus are easily picked.

Most are easily releyed if they have a tailpiece that is screwed on. If it's swayed you replace them.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
You have a bedroom door and a living room door......and then compartment doors.

Doors are generic as are compartment doors.

Compartment doors will all have same keyed locks because a compartment door is a compartment door.

But entry doors........usually only 1 door to trailer so different keyed locks.
That is why your 2 door trailer has 2 different keyed entry door locks.

Have them re-keyed if you prefer as that would be less hassle locking/unlocking doors.

Just remember a $50 lock on a $12 door is a waste cause a $0.50 screw driver can get into either.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Class a has five exterior keys
One for the hood (Also fits the dog house inside)
One for the basement compartments
One for the water fill which also fits an aux electrical box I installed
And two for the entry door.

These last two have a copy stored in a key safe that is mounted in a hidden location.

I tell folks that the one thing wrong with living in a motor home is...

(Take out my key ring) They all fit!
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
No reason otherwise it costs someone to line up two same coded locks during installation. My Starcraft has two exterior doors. I ended up buying another lock and having it rekeyed at the manufacturer in Tennessee and now I have one key for both doors. I keep a spare in my front storage just in case.