cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30 amp RV outlet at home

kbotley
Explorer
Explorer
I recently converted from a dual hot water tank setup in my house to a single tank resulting in an unused 30amp double pole breaker. I would like to use this breaker and the 10ga wire to power a TTL-30 outlet for my RV when it's in the driveway. Since the double pole is 240V through 2 conductors and I only need 120v is it acceptable to terminate the red conductor and just use the black (hot) white (neutral) and bare (ground) on the double pole breaker?

Thanks
37 REPLIES 37

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
Bob Landry wrote:
I'm simply stating that is is OK to have one side of DPDT breaker unused or it can be used for the neutral leg.

but the "unused" half of the breaker would be connected internally to the other "hot" side of the box???
bumpy

There is no internal electrical connection between the two legs of the breaker. If one side overloads, both sides will trip, but that's just a mechanical connection. One side not being connected will not effect the breaker operation for the connected side.

I thought I remember that the 240 volt breakers (dual 120s) was that they clipped onto the "buss bars????" separately so they would get 240 volts. thus both breakers would be hooked to a separate/different hot lead. don't see how you could use one for a neutral? in this case.
bumpy

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:
Bob Landry wrote:
I'm simply stating that is is OK to have one side of DPDT breaker unused or it can be used for the neutral leg.

but the "unused" half of the breaker would be connected internally to the other "hot" side of the box???
bumpy

There is no internal electrical connection between the two legs of the breaker. If one side overloads, both sides will trip, but that's just a mechanical connection. One side not being connected will not effect the breaker operation for the connected side.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
How about this.. Put a 50 amp outlet in that box. Feed it with the 30 amp breakers and wire.. Then you use a dogbone to plug in the RV, but if you ever get a bigger RV... Well my 50 amp rig, if you are just a little careful.. gets by just fine on a 30/30 120/240 volt outlet.. You just need to be a little careful is all, and to know what is on each leg,

But that might be the best use of your existing resources and will counter those code talkers in this thread since you will be delivering all 4 wires, properly to an outlet more than heavy enough to take what 30 amp berakers can give 'em.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Landry wrote:

bumpy

kbotley
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Landry wrote:
kbotley wrote:
I recently converted from a dual hot water tank setup in my house to a single tank resulting in an unused 30amp double pole breaker. I would like to use this breaker and the 10ga wire to power a TTL-30 outlet for my RV when it's in the driveway. Since the double pole is 240V through 2 conductors and I only need 120v is it acceptable to terminate the red conductor and just use the black (hot) white (neutral) and bare (ground) on the double pole breaker?

Thanks

Ground does not go through the breaker, It goes to a separate bus to which all of the safety grounds going into the box are attached. It's OK to use just one side of a DP breaker as an over load on the hot leg will cause both of them to trip. I haven't seen it done in residential, but in marine shore power systems we have both hot and neutral going through a DPDT breaker because neutral is considered to be a current carrying leg and both must be broken. Before an armchair electrician jumps on my last statement, our electrical standards are set and regulated by ABYC and the USCG and do not run in lock step with the NEC. I'm simply stating that is is OK to have one side of DPDT breaker unused or it can be used for the neutral leg.

Thanks Bob, My intention is to use this 30amp DP for something useful instead of removing it completely. Since I will effectively have a weatherproof 30 amp sub panel on the the side of the house I can bring the red conductor back into service on another 120v circuit as my needs change.

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
kbotley wrote:

Thanks

Ground does not go through the breaker, It goes to a separate bus to which all of the safety grounds going into the box are attached. It's OK to use just one side of a DP breaker as an over load on the hot leg will cause both of them to trip. I haven't seen it done in residential, but in marine shore power systems we have both hot and neutral going through a DPDT breaker because neutral is considered to be a current carrying leg and both must be broken. Before an armchair electrician jumps on my last statement, our electrical standards are set and regulated by ABYC and the USCG and do not run in lock step with the NEC. I'm simply stating that is is OK to have one side of DPDT breaker unused or it can be used for the neutral leg.
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
While I agree that changing out the 2 pole breaker for a single pole is the proper solution, an overload on either side of a 2 pole breaker will trip both poles. Code allows a 2 pole breaker (in fact, requires one) for 120V circuits run to split receptacles, i.e. a common neutral & the upper & lower half of the receptacle on the different legs. Sometimes used in kitchens & garages to save wire. Called a "multi wire" circuit.

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
click on and read
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
Where did you get the idea that only one leg of the breaker will trip the current if an overload. That means that that one wire must short or overload and only that one. great, which one will it be. The other one is free to deliver all the current it can up to the point the main (100 amp) trips. I dont think so. $7.49 for a single pole at HD last week. I would just use one or the other phase and not worry about blankers or buying a new breaker. PLEASE check outlet for proper voltage before plugging in camper. TOO many postings on people hooking up to 240 volts by mistake.

Flyfasteddie
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:

$5??? when was the last time you bought a breaker 1945?
bumpy

$3.75, circa 2013 :)Home Depot

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
Some of the old 240v breakers were 2 single pole pinned together. If the above is true, just un pin it.

X2
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Hank MI wrote:
RJsfishin wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
so what people are saying is that with a double pole breaker, both sides must exceed load limit to trip? is that correct?
bumpy

I would have exactly the same question, but when I think of how 240 doesn't use or need a common, its probably true.

Not true in all cases. A straight 240v load, such as a well pump, won't need a common but not all 240v loads are the same. An electric range may use 240v for heating elements and 110v for lichts and controls. That requires a common because it's an unbalanced load.

Because 240v loads are often unbalanced an overload on one leg will trip a double pole breaker. But I would spend the $5 and replace it with a single pole

$5??? when was the last time you bought a breaker 1945?
bumpy

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
so what people are saying is that with a double pole breaker, both sides must exceed load limit to trip? is that correct?
bumpy

I would have exactly the same question, but when I think of how 240 doesn't use or need a common, its probably true.

Not true in all cases. A straight 240v load, such as a well pump, won't need a common but not all 240v loads are the same. An electric range may use 240v for heating elements and 110v for lichts and controls. That requires a common because it's an unbalanced load.

Because 240v loads are often unbalanced an overload on one leg will trip a double pole breaker. But I would spend the $5 and replace it with a single pole

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use both poles, and just run 6ga wire to a 50 amp outlet. Then you can use an adaptor to get down to a 30 amp plug. This way you can simply change out the breaker to a 50 amp when you get that bigger camper!
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
An overload on one side of a double pole breaker will trip it but - the resistance of the second unattached pole can cause the breaker to substantially exceed 30a before breaking.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900