Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

30amp surge protector on 50amp line

cmarkj
Explorer
Explorer
Quick search here turned up nothing.
Am getting a new trailer. It’s set up for 50amp but doesn’t have the 2nd AC unit installed. Has the 50amp cord. Without the 2nd AC, I wouldn’t think that the RV would routinely pull more than 30 amps. My question is, can I use my 30amp surge suppressor or do I need to get a 50amp?
Always looking for the perfect site.
21 REPLIES 21

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
You can use a 30 amp protector, but that limits you to 30 amp. Sort of defeats the point of having a 50 amp rig
Set yourself up for 50 amps. There is more to having 50 amps than just a 2nd A/C.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Better to check if there is a ems in the new digs first.

You can use the 30 amp surge but it needs to feed both legs. Otherwise some circuits may not work.

The RV you had before was 30 amp--the new one will have the same constraints. Microwave (13 amps) and water heater (12 amps) and roof air (16 amps) = overload the pedestal breaker

One other work around is possible--and that would be an inverter charger that has load support.

My choice would be to get a 50 amp ems, not just a surge device.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
cmarkj wrote:
Without the 2nd AC, I wouldn’t think that the RV would routinely pull more than 30 amps.
All it takes is 3 higher draw devices like: A/C, HW, charger, toaster, coffee pot, hair dryer etc to exceed 30A. Get a 50A EMS.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Perfectly OK to use a 30 amp protector with 30 amp supply and 50 amp RV.
Not OK to use 30amp protector with adapter to 50 amp supply to power a 50 amp RV. Protector becomes the fuse.

Get the 50 amp protector. And yes the 50 amp protector can be used on 30 amp supply.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try the 30 amp suppressor for now and see if it will do the job for you.
I see no reason why it should not.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Simple if on 30 amps, running 1 AC, heating something in the Microwave, and the Hot Water Heater kicks on in the AC or Coffee Maker is turned on. You'll pop the 30 amp pole breaker.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Due to the differences in wiring between a 30 amp cord/plug and a 50 amp cord/plug, you'd best be served getting a 50 amp EMS.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"