cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50 amp cords

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
When I connect my 50 amp cord to my 50 amp extension cord, I have a heck of a time getting them apart. Anyone know of a way to make that easier?
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF
27 REPLIES 27

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
CA Traveler wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
Well I never plug or unplug with the power on but to each his own.
I'm not sure what that has to do with anything being discussed, but I imagine most people do. At least if they're equipped with much thinking power.
Read the posts in this thread related to safety suggesting using gloves and perspiration to avoid coming in contact with power. Not to mention the posts about using a screwdriver to separate the plugs as sooner or later this will occur with the power on.

Judging from pedestals I've used most do turn off the power before disconnecting but some don't.
I did read all the posts, and no where has anyone suggested leaving the power on while messing with the cords. In fact several have reminded people to make sure the power is disconnected. So I'm wasn't sure what the "...but to each his own." statement was referring to.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
How about having the pedestal breaker "OFF" while handling the cords.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
I'm not sure what that has to do with anything being discussed, but I imagine most people do. At least if they're equipped with much thinking power.
Read the posts in this thread related to safety suggesting using gloves and perspiration to avoid coming in contact with power. Not to mention the posts about using a screwdriver to separate the plugs as sooner or later this will occur with the power on.

Judging from pedestals I've used most do turn off the power before disconnecting but some don't.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
CA Traveler wrote:
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Plug Dogs work good. For the female plug I added a touch of JB Weld to keep the nylon strap in place.

However they are about $10 each and now I use those bucks towards a plug with a handle.

Bob

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
philh wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
it's scary thinking about what can happen if you unthinkingly use the screwdriver before unplugging from power. I've used a screwdriver when my plugs semi-welded themselves together when my EMS gave up the ghost and shorted out. But the idea made me very nervous even though I knew it was unplugged at both ends.

Loud noise, bright flash ๐Ÿ™‚
Yeah, that was my fear. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Even those thin blue mechanic's gloves insulate 120vac. The thing to be wary of is perspiration. If your arms and hands sweat forget the gloves. I have a full set of Wiha class IV insulated screwdrivers the red and yellow ones. Ha! Starting out I had to learn to keep one hand in my pocket especially around 480 and 600 volt stuff. I still have my boots, coat, and gauntlet gloves with my hot stick roll up kit. Power-off is by far the safest precaution.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
it's scary thinking about what can happen if you unthinkingly use the screwdriver before unplugging from power. I've used a screwdriver when my plugs semi-welded themselves together when my EMS gave up the ghost and shorted out. But the idea made me very nervous even though I knew it was unplugged at both ends.

Loud noise, bright flash ๐Ÿ™‚

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I've always figured that dielectric grease is just that, an insulator and it gets squeezed out of the fittings when the connections are tightened and corrosion does not get in.
I use anticorrosion grease for making joints with aluminum wire.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pipeman wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Maybe some dilectric grease on the prongs, but you really want the connection tight. If it's loose you run the risk of arcing and resistance heat buildup and possible plug failure, i.e. melting.

So time to hit the gym and build up those pecs. ๐Ÿ™‚

fj12ryder, I'm an old guy, more mature(73) but not weak. I have old mans' skin and it isn't pretty when wearรฌng a muscle shirt.:B I was still pushing weights but my shoulder screwed up and I'm awaiting an MRI. I guess a screw driver with hydro( a Canadian thing) shut off. Mex, I`m going to check on the dielectric grease when I finish up here. I don`t have handles so that's out. Thanks everybody...maybe I`ll hire a young guy to pull them apart.:R Stay safe all. Bob
That only puts you 3 years older than me. LOL I was going to recommend the screwdriver usage too, but it's scary thinking about what can happen if you unthinkingly use the screwdriver before unplugging from power. I've used a screwdriver when my plugs semi-welded themselves together when my EMS gave up the ghost and shorted out. But the idea made me very nervous even though I knew it was unplugged at both ends.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I use the grease to repel moisture and help prevent corrosion, and it probably helps keep things a bit easier to attach and remove. After making sure that all power is OFF, I use a flat blade screwdriver. I have no problem getting the plug loose from a power post, but getting my 30-to-50 adapter off is very difficult, as my plug does not have a handle on it. If both have handles, it is much easier.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

I hope this did not ruin your day ๐Ÿ™‚

Only because you are rambling on and on about something different than the actual subject.

Which is about par for the course, unfortunately.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I had one fellow get so upset he slapped four hundred dollar bills down on my workbench. "It --has-- to cause problems"

Worth a trip to the outfitting dock where the Kelley II was tied The Delco 50MT starters were in series on the V16 x 92 detroit engines. 680 amperes in series. I pulled 4 cables off one battery bank. Regreased the flag terminals and reconnected them. I started the starboard engine five times. Good thing Bruce Abernathy was holding the 8 hundred dollar bills -- the guy was going to mealy mouth welsch on the bet.

Looking under Lockheed and Boeing approved 'essential' products. You'll find OILY, CAIG DeOxit D100 and the blue preservative liquids. The USN specifies the Caig products for carrier combat aircraft. Radios, power circuits, whatever. So does Intel and other OEM.

Have a USB antenna amplification unit. Use CAIG plug it back in and see the dramatic signal strength improvement.

Dogma is a powerful force. But denying reality is hazardous. This question can be best settled by an individual -- try it and see for ones self. Coat the prongs on a 50 amp shore power cord or 550 amp engine starter circuit. Then years later marvel at why the contacts are not corroded but function perfectly.

The results are 'What Is' not what they're 'supposed to be'.

Neat part is the 'test' can be performed at home. This would be a B.S. exploder.
0)
On microamp circuits I heartily recommend the CAIG products. Oily as can be.

I hope this did not ruin your day ๐Ÿ™‚