cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6Volt Battery Restoration

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone out there ever been successful at rejuvenating a 6 volt golf cart battery with any of the pour in battery renew products on the market?
I'm just trying to get through this snowbird season then replace the batteries in the fall.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
6 REPLIES 6

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mootpoint wrote:
Has anyone out there ever been successful at rejuvenating a 6 volt golf cart battery with any of the pour in battery renew products on the market?
I'm just trying to get through this snowbird season then replace the batteries in the fall.

Sorry, there is no magical potions, elixirs, chants, shortcuts and so on which will bring back a dying battery, period. There are a lot of nonsensical ideas floating about and a lot of hucksters and shysters looking to part you from your hard earned money selling all kinds of bogus garbage.

You will find a lot of folks who swear by all those products even though they have no empirical "evidence" to show that their method FULLY RESTORES a battery.

Once it is done or has been mistreated the damage is permanent and the only way to undo the damage is to remove and melt down the plates and refine the impurities out of the lead then form new plates and load them into new containers..

If you do chose to walk down this slippery path of "self" repairing the batteries then you best remove them from ANYTHING that you value (like your RV, AND HOME).. Make darn sure you have some acid proof gloves, safety mask, acid proof apron and acid proof boots..

Messing around with batteries can be a very risky proposition and if you do not know what you are doing can be downright deadly (explosion)..

Scrap the batteries RIGHT NOW and buy a new set NOW instead of trying to bandaid them for a few months.. If you are strapped for cash and have Sam's or Cosco membership they have good deals on GC2 batteries which are pretty much as good as Trojan.. for half the cost of a Trojan.

jrnymn7
Explorer
Explorer
Moot,

If you could provide a little history, and some hard numbers on that 6v, it may help. An EQ might work, but no one can say without knowing how bad it is.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The short answer: NO. You might get a week or 3 out of it but basically NO. Those pour in to restore products are what they used to call Snake Oil. (At least all the ones I've seen)

it is possible, but it takes a process,, And that takes a battery rebuilder.

They basically clean it, chemically treat it using a multi step process, and other wise make it new again. But it is not something you can pour in.

NOTE: Since the six volt batteries used in an RV are really half of a 12 volt battery.. This applies equally to 12 volt batteries (both halves, separately or together).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Best shot IMO is to hit them a couple hours at close to 16 volts for a good equalization.
If you have a common converter they might only be chronically undercharged and in need of a bit of a jolt.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately sulfates like magnesium and cadmium attack the good, viable plate material about 10X more than plate sulfate crystals. I wouldn't hold your breath...

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Find out the basic ingredients. I believe one of them is epsom salts. Any improvement will be temporary.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.