cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A BIG thumbs up for Atwood!!

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted everyone to know that Atwood service is not as bad as whats posted out on the forums.

Had 2 issues, both rather major.

First issue was the entry door.
Was doing some EARLY spring camping at Salisbury State Beach MA. The wind was blowing rather strong & the door ALMOST flew out of my hand while opening! I did not let go BUT it did hit the stop hard enought to pop one of the heads off of the 4 screws holding the stop bracket on the door! After that incident every time we open the door you get a POP just when it gets to fully open. Apparently someting on the inside of the door got bent.

Called Atwood had had the part ordered within a few minutes. CSR on the phone very helpfull and polite!

Second issue that was rather serious was the wonderful Atwood Levelegs electric jacks! Left rear, 1 13" 10K jack poped and stopped moving. The motor would spin but no-go! All the early posts on these jacks pointed towards replacement of the whole jack at a tune of $700+!!!
I called Atwood and spoke to a man that told me their was a motor/gearbox assembly available that was $250.00 "Dealer Price" and they had three of them on back order! Did not offer ANY MORE assistance so I told thim I'd look inot it further & hung up. I was thinking, if the "dealer Price" is $250 what was the end user price?

Next AM I spotted a post in one of the RV forums that had a name & number of an Atwood CSR that was very helpful with another RVer. I decided what the hell, could not hurt to call.

Called the number, the woman picked up the line, I explained that I had a busted shaft in my gearbox assembly. SHe then told me that a motor/gearbox assembly was available for $250.00 with about a $10 shipping fee. She then told me that she see's no assemblies in stock. This is where I thiught I had hit a dead end BUT she told me that one could be "made up" for me and shipped right away! I ordered the part!

Today I get two emails, both from UPS telling me that a shipment from Atwood will be delivered Wednesday! Both orders arriving on the same day and ON TIME!

Thanks Atwood. If I can find the name/number I'll post.

Problem with these companies, every time you call you get a different anwser!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel
3 REPLIES 3

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Both jack and door back to 100% today!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Its the shaft that drops down from the gearbox. It's hardened steel. It has hole/pin at each gear, the weak links. Shaft sheared at the lower gear & cracked up to the 2nd gear in the gearbox. No gears or bushings were damaged. The pins are even ok.

Was not hard to spin the jackscrews by hand to get the jack retracted. If the jack somehow bound up I would think it would start clutching rather than shear/crack a shaft.

I think I might take the original gearbox to a shop & see what it would cost to have a hardened shaft machined.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

cooper841
Explorer
Explorer
I had the happen a few times on my jacks.Which shear the pin on my jacks.Just wondering how shaft broke?
Dana Cooper
Chipper(Lab)
2007 Fleetwood Fiesta LX
2003 Harley Fatboy mighty hauler lift
2010 Kia Soul