cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/C couldn't keep up. Help?

helenozee
Explorer
Explorer
Last weekend I spent four days living in my RV, parked in front of my daughter's house in Phoenix, AZ. It was approximately 115 degrees outside. I live in Las Vegas, NV, and it was similar weather here. Driving to Phoenix with my generator going the whole time, it was 99 degrees inside when we arrived (my dogs and I). The first couple days I ran either the front A/C or the back. Running my generator 24/7, the temperature inside in the front or back only cooled to mid to low 90s. I called on the 3rd day and talked to a repair person who told me I had to run both because they're ducted. I also went to Home Depot and purchased a Toshiba room A/C. With that helping, I was able to get to the mid to high 80s. I could not plug in to their house because they only have 15 amp. It kept tripping the breaker.

I don't usually travel in my RV in temps like this. It's a 2005 Fleetwood Discovery diesel pusher, model 35H. In the years up till now, I would only use the A/C a few times a year, just to cool down when it was maybe high 80s outside, and only for a few hours. I do dog agility and don't go anywhere that's really hot. When I visited Phoenix I wouldn't take the RV. Now I need to take my dogs and need to take the RV.

Last summer I let my ex-husband use the RV to live in while his house was completed in Pahrump, NV. The weather was in the 100s, and he used the A/C 24/7, hooked to electricity. Near the end of the time he lived in it, he said the motor was going out on the A/C, and he replaced it. (I had to buy it! :M)

Here are my questions: Do I need new air conditioner(s)? Do any of them work if it gets that hot? Is something else worn out from using it so much last summer?

Someone just suggested I get a roll of foam foil insulation for my windows. I'm going back to Phoenix in a few weeks and dreading the thought of living in that boiling hot tin can for another few days.

Comments or suggestions? Thanks in advance!
37 REPLIES 37

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Youโ€™re going to spray water inside?
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'd be tempted to get a mist system to assist the air conditioners. There are some that do 1/2 gallon per hour per nozzle.

The only place in my RV world where I tripped a breaker, inside my rv, was on Mesa AZ on July 29.

If you have a way to monitor voltage--set the fridge to propane--and try running just one air conditioner on the 15 amp shore power. If the voltage stays at 108 or above--then you are fine. Do check voltage often.

Do you have a tarp you could place over the front windshield? If not, pick one up at a dollar store.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a similar DP as the OP, a 2005 Fleetwood Excursion 39S and it doesn't do any better than yours - that's why they put wheels on them so you can move to someplace cooler.

Here's a helpful suggestion - pull in your slides, you'll have less space to cool off.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
You're MH is 15 years old. Maybe you need new A/C. I had to take a MH from Tucson to San Diego and the dash air was out. Going down the interstate I ran the house A/C and was comfortable inside when it was 110 outside.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having similar issues on my 5er. After research, I think my AC is running ok, but it's hard to expect more than about a 15* drop from the outside temp. Maybe you can get 20*. Which is still stupid hot when them outside temp is 115* (I'm in Phx as I type this).

The generator in your RV should be more than adequate to run both AC's. That would be my suggestion. It will certainly help more than running 1 AC. The reflective insulation in the windows will also help.

I'm sure you are already doing this, but run the AC 24 hours a day. It is much easier to cool the inside of the RV if it starts out cool. If you are starting from 100*, it is REALLY hard to get a significant temperature drop.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
AC cant drop the temp 45 degrees. Maybe 20 at best if well insulated etc

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Your ACs are probably fine, those conditions are just far beyond what they can handle. You could find a dog-friendly hotel or motel and stay there at night.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO