cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/C Thermostat Replacement

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
It would appear that our thermostat is not functioning correctly. Temps yesterday were in the mid-80's, and I pushed the control down to 75. Got nothing, but the A/C did come on when I ran it all the way down to 55 or so. Let it run for a few minutes and tried to slide it up, but it cut off around 60 or so.

We currently have the standard analog style thermostat and the roof mount A/C does not have any controls. I'd like to install a digital thermostat. On a previous TT with a unit that had controls on the face, I did so by running a 12V circuit, installing a relay, etc. However, the location of the thermostat on our current unit is not conducive for this.

Is there a simple battery-operated thermostat available with a high/low fan switch? I'm looking for something that would require no additional wiring effort. If there's nothing like this in a reasonable price range, then I guess I'll stick with a new analog unit.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF
9 REPLIES 9

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
There are 2 stage thermostats which I have *heard* will work, automatically switching between high and low. I haven't tried, so I cannot say for certain.
-- Chris Bryant

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Some analog thermostats have an attenuator setting. They develop a dead spot where it sits. It works then it doesn't.
I would continue with research on replacement as it will fail when you really need it.
Did you find make and model of your current thermostat?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Went out this morning to open the cover and inspect the thermostat, and it was working normally. Gonna keep an eye on it and see what happens.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What is the make and model of existing thermostat?
The Hunter thermostats work well in many conversions.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced mine with This One. No battery required.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about
This one
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
first I,d check and see if theres a battery in the stat,before taking it apart.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
Is there a simple battery-operated thermostat available with a high/low fan switch? I'm looking for something that would require no additional wiring effort. If there's nothing like this in a reasonable price range, then I guess I'll stick with a new analog unit.

IMO the answer is probably no, meaning that if you want a "simple" battery powered thermostat then that by definition probably means a thermostat designed for home use that will offer just a single fan speed. That's easy to correct by installing your own SPDT switch but then that doesn't meet your requirement for "no additional wiring". Keep in mind also that there isn't any one standard wiring scheme used for recreational vehicle thermostat wiring so it can be dangerous to simply assume you can follow wire colour codes without understanding first exactly what each wire in your particular coach is intended for ... make one mistake and you could easily fry a circuit board, just as one friend of mine did by "assuming". IOW, if you don't know what you're doing find someone who does OR leave it alone. ๐Ÿ˜‰ And yes, I've swapped out thermostats in every camper we've ever owned, currently use this Hunter RTH5100B in our Coachmen Freedom Express.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380