cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A fried converter, has anyone had this covered by insurance?

Allenjv
Explorer
Explorer

I plugged my motorhome into a bad power source. It fried the converter, relay and various electronics in the motorhome.
Has anyone that has done this, got there insurance to cover all or some of the repair?
State Farm full coverage policy refuses,
do pay anything:

Reason:::
"The electrical and/or electronic breakdown is excluded under the policy language in 9837B pg 32, exc 13

Policy Language: ANY PART OR EQUIPMENT OF A COVERED VEHICLE IF THAT PART OR EQUIPMENT:
a. FAILS OR IS DEFECTIVE; OR
b. IS DAMAGED AS A DIRECT RESULT OF:
(1) WEAR AND TEAR;
(2) FREEZING; OR
(3) MECHANICAL, ELECTRICAL, OR ELECTRONIC BREAKDOWN OR MALFUNCTION
OF THAT PART OR EQUIPMENT."

9 REPLIES 9

dedmiston

What does your auto policy say? Read the policy to find the coverage and then read the exclusions. That's your contract and your insurer isn't going to pay for anything outside of what's covered by the contract.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III

You might get something from the insurer of the faulty source (i.e. the rv park that provided the faulty source).

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III

The other side of the coin is, he did not provide us with anything regarding how he knows the electrical source was faulty. That โ€œproofsโ€ could lay the blame on โ€œthe electrical sourceโ€, while lack of such proof leads to no one to blame. The way I read it, number (b)3 is pretty clear - that coverage is excluded. Iโ€™d also note, he never said he was at a campground, he may be his own โ€œfaulty sourceโ€. Wouldnโ€™t be the first time a do-it-yourselfer wired an RV plug wrong.

This is likely the first issue to overcome. You have to prove an outside force caused the damage. Speculation that there was some sort of power spike with no evidence and they can say it was faulty equipment in the trailer (as opposed to...a huge crash of lightening and immediately, everything blew out.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator

ya extended mechanical insurance is a pain to get anything done.  I didn't use mine at all and got 60% of the cost back as the repairs I had to make were less than the deductable if I did the work myself.  the only times I have gotten electric stuff fixed was under the original manufactures warenty for an auto changover switch.  

I agree with way2roll, if you know it was a faulty power asource that should be under the liability of the park owner to cover, but it is also your responcibility to know that stuff like this could happen and have a surge protector that shows if the power source is good or not, they are cheep insurance.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator

I am not sure I agree with their assessment in that there wasn't a breakdown or malfunction of your electrical system, it was a result of plugging into a faulty electrical system. Not the first time insurance an insurance company balked at a claim. That said, it really depends on where you plugged into. Seems to me, if the electrical source you plugged into was faulty, it would be the responsibility of the owner of that electrical system. Was this at a campground? 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

No it was at my shop.  I mis wired a welder plug for the rv.  My 50amp plus is 220, and I thought the 3 prong was too, just with a lighter breaker..  WRONG!

but making a driving mistake vs a plug-in mistake..  but they just don't see it my way.  I think I will cancel State Farm and seek a different company.

I am not sure what you mean by "making a driving mistake vs a plug-in mistake". 

But if you wired a plug incorrectly and then plugged your RV in to it, then I would say that's your fault and not surprising they won't pay the claim. Lots of questions on here about wiring home pedestals and the general consensus is to get an electrician who not only is licensed but familiar with the difference between a welder outlet and one for an RV. As you learned the hard way, there is a difference. 

A 50 AMP RV outlet requires 4 wires - 2 hots, a ground - and a 4th wire that is a neutral to split the 240V into 120V. Your RV appliances actually run on 120V.  A welder outlet has 3 wires - 2 hots and a ground. So with no neutral to split, you get all 240V. 

50-amp RV shore power should REALLY be called a 100-amp service since it does supply 50 + 50 amps, which equals up to 100 amps of current draw but at 120 volts.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

I assume they require you to be licensed to drive an rv and that you don't have a substantial history of tickets or accidents in order to insure you against driving mistakes. 

Did you show them your license as an electrician when you signed up for rv insurance?

They qualified you for one but not the other.  If it was a campsite pedestal,  you would have a stronger argument as it's a normal expectation that you will plug into a  campsite pedestal. Once you deviate from normal expectations,  you have to prove you have reasonable knowledge and used reasonable care...the fact you made the mistake,  will be used as evidence that you did not. 

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV