cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Abrupt end

neonjohn
Explorer
Explorer
Well, that was fun while it lasted. Today my "new" RV was totaled in a head-on collision with a woman who had lost control of her car and spun into my lane. She had been forced out of her lane by a large crane truck that I was following and who rounded the curve in the wrong lane and at high speed. Of course, she didn't have any insurance.

This being my first wreck as an adult, I've learned several things already.

* Liability-only insurance does not cover towing. We gotta pay for that.

* Coach-net.com does NOT cover accident towing. So if you have an inexpensive rig like we had and have only liability insurance, be sure you have the resources to have your rig towed if you're in a wreck.

Fortunately neither of us were hurt. Seat belts worked again. Praise the Lord that our MH didn't have air bombs. The woman's car had air bombs that came out from everywhere and beat her up badly enough that she had to go to the hospital.

I've been encouraging people for years to have the air bombs disabled on their vehicles. I've seen so many injuries and one fatality from air bombs. One of my aunts was killed by an air bomb deploying during a relatively minor side impact. The bomb broke her neck. My wife's son recently had an eye blown out in an otherwise minor wreck.

Seat belts save lives; air bombs take them.

Soooo... Until we collect from the crane company's insurance, I'll be on the RV sideline again.

John
55 REPLIES 55

neonjohn
Explorer
Explorer
austingta wrote:
Sorry about your RV. As far as your fear of air bags, I must assume that you don't wear your seatbelt either, as the risk of you
being trapped in a car by one in an accident involving fire or deep water is measurable too.

Wow, what a critical thinking fault! I wear a belt to move a vehicle around my property. I raced cars and motorcycles during the first half of my life so I know the value of proper safety equipment.

In addition to the two casualties close to home I've seen numerous others as a former volunteer EMT and as a consulting engineer to a local law firm.

If you're comfortable with air bombs then good for you. I'm not and today was just another example of why.

John

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
neonjohn wrote:

I've been encouraging people for years to have the air bombs disabled on their vehicles. I've seen so many injuries and one fatality from air bombs. One of my aunts was killed by an air bomb deploying during a relatively minor side impact. The bomb broke her neck. My wife's son recently had an eye blown out in an otherwise minor wreck.

Seat belts save lives; air bombs take them.

Soooo... Until we collect from the crane company's insurance, I'll be on the RV sideline again.

I hope you have collision on that RV. else you are truly screwed (Collision should cover towing).

And after 25 years of telling cops where to go.. I agree on those bombs.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jwoods61us
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
"Over the last 10 years in the United States, nearly 200 men, women and children have been fatally injured by deploying air bags. Thousands more have sustained serious nonfatal injuries, including cervical spine fractures, closed head injuries, and multiple fractures and amputations of digits and hands. Ironically, the vast majority of these serious and fatal injuries were incurred in low and moderate speed collisions in which little or no injury would have been otherwise expected."

"According to the National Highway Traffic Administration, car accidents happen every minute of the day. Motor vehicle accidents occur in any part of the world every 60 seconds. And if itโ€™s all summed up in a yearly basis,there are 5.25 million driving accidents that take place per year."

I'll take those odds (1:52,499,800) and keep my air bags; especially after having been involved in two serious accidents (neither my fault), one with seat belts only and one where the air bags deployed (also wearing seat belts) and in both I was uninjured.
John, Lorie, Franklin, Sammi, Tina
2009 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins G56
2020 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2912BS

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Dad always said full coverage on an old vehicle was a waste.

And I have learned to disagree. It is worth the paperwork and administrative hassle. With full coverage the vehicle gets repaired and they can deal with who pays.

Glad to hear no injuries.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Good to hear you and your wife were not hurt. Could you tell us about your RV, make, model and year?
It sounds like it held up fairy well in the crash.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Over the last 10 years in the United States, nearly 200 men, women and children have been fatally injured by deploying air bags. Thousands more have sustained serious nonfatal injuries, including cervical spine fractures, closed head injuries, and multiple fractures and amputations of digits and hands. Ironically, the vast majority of these serious and fatal injuries were incurred in low and moderate speed collisions in which little or no injury would have been otherwise expected."
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry about your RV. As far as your fear of air bags, I must assume that you don't wear your seatbelt either, as the risk of you
being trapped in a car by one in an accident involving fire or deep water is measurable too.
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I like to sob and console myself with the thought that I have satisfied some unknowable law of averages debt and the next 25 years will be home - free. And pallbearers would definitely rather be doing something else. Obviously things could have gone to the worst possible extreme. Best of fortune to you

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
So sorry about your accident, and glad you were not hurt badly.

I have to disagree about what you are calling air "bombs." I've never heard of anyone being seriously injured by one, IF that person was also wearing a seat belt. I know of many people who have been saved from serious injury by the air bags in their cars, especially in T-bone accidents.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank Heaven you were not hurt! You've probably lost this summer's camping season, but there is always next year. Hang in there!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry but happy you weren't injured. Your reminder about bombs, thank you.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad