cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AC Airflow

Katdaddy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an older Duotherm air conditioner. On our last trip a couple weeks ago I noticed lots of condensation around the panel in the ceiling. I pulled the panel and found the baffles directing the air had come loose. I taped them back up and turned the unit on to see if I had stopped the leaks. No air leakage. That looks good. I noticed the airflow out of the vents had increased greatly. This was with the panel off and no filter. Iโ€™m thinking this is great! I put a new filter in and replaced the panel. Airflow is back to not so great. I canโ€™t believe the filter is cutting the airflow so much. Any ideas on a different way to filter and have better airflow?
Little by little, one travels far - J.R.R. Tolkien
There ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them. - Mark Twain
5 REPLIES 5

smthbros
Explorer
Explorer
The purpose of the filter is to inhibit the collection of debris on the evaporator coil. As far as I know, the only way to decrease the resistance of the filter while maintaining the effectiveness of the filter is to increase the filter area.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I strongly recommend against removing the filter or you'll end up with much bigger performance issues that aren't easily corrected.

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
What I was trying to say is you could possibly remove the filter from the AC to allow better airflow. Then buy a small free standing air filter system that sits on the floor or on the counter and filters the interior air. Something like this.
Amazon
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Katdaddy
Explorer II
Explorer II
opnspaces wrote:
Really all you can do is get a less restrictive filter.

Other than that you can run without a filter and run a separate standalone fin and filter. Although you asked what you can do to keep the filter so only the first applies.

Iโ€™m not familiar with the standalone. Explain that please?
Little by little, one travels far - J.R.R. Tolkien
There ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them. - Mark Twain

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Really all you can do is get a less restrictive filter.

Other than that you can run without a filter and run a separate standalone fin and filter. Although you asked what you can do to keep the filter so only the first applies.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup