cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AC Airflow

Katdaddy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an older Duotherm air conditioner. On our last trip a couple weeks ago I noticed lots of condensation around the panel in the ceiling. I pulled the panel and found the baffles directing the air had come loose. I taped them back up and turned the unit on to see if I had stopped the leaks. No air leakage. That looks good. I noticed the airflow out of the vents had increased greatly. This was with the panel off and no filter. I’m thinking this is great! I put a new filter in and replaced the panel. Airflow is back to not so great. I can’t believe the filter is cutting the airflow so much. Any ideas on a different way to filter and have better airflow?
Little by little, one travels far - J.R.R. Tolkien
There ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them. - Mark Twain
5 REPLIES 5

smthbros
Explorer
Explorer
The purpose of the filter is to inhibit the collection of debris on the evaporator coil. As far as I know, the only way to decrease the resistance of the filter while maintaining the effectiveness of the filter is to increase the filter area.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I strongly recommend against removing the filter or you'll end up with much bigger performance issues that aren't easily corrected.

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
What I was trying to say is you could possibly remove the filter from the AC to allow better airflow. Then buy a small free standing air filter system that sits on the floor or on the counter and filters the interior air. Something like this.
Amazon
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Katdaddy
Explorer II
Explorer II
opnspaces wrote:
Really all you can do is get a less restrictive filter.

Other than that you can run without a filter and run a separate standalone fin and filter. Although you asked what you can do to keep the filter so only the first applies.

I’m not familiar with the standalone. Explain that please?
Little by little, one travels far - J.R.R. Tolkien
There ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them. - Mark Twain

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Really all you can do is get a less restrictive filter.

Other than that you can run without a filter and run a separate standalone fin and filter. Although you asked what you can do to keep the filter so only the first applies.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup