cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

advice to install 30A RV Receptacle in garage to power RV

uclabruins
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to make my 34 footer RV into a man cave when I'm not using it. 🙂 I need to put in a 30A 125V RV receptacle so I can connect the RV to the house power.

As far as I know, this is what I need:

1. Junction box/cover plate and the 30A rv receptacle (TT-30R?)
2. 10 gauge electric wire
3. 30A breaker? What kind/type?
4. and a 100ft 30A rv extension cable?
Can I use the cheaper house electric cable rated for 30A and just the adpater?

Any help is much appreciated.

I don't want to pay $400 to the electrician.
79 REPLIES 79

Explorer
Explorer
randallb wrote:
flat,
Now i am really confused. You posted a picture of someone I know as Mrs. WaHiggins.
Randy

Is that really him?
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
flat,
Now i am really confused. You posted a picture of someone I know as Mrs. WaHiggins.
Randy

joshuajim
Explorer II
Explorer II
Westcoasting wrote:

Are they not called a Wiggy?

Old timers call them wiggins. I think Klein change it to wiggy when they bought them out
RVing since 1995.

Westcoasting
Explorer
Explorer
joshuajim wrote:
gemsworld wrote:
Here's a very good reason why it's a good idea to hire a qualified electrician to do the work.

California officials: Faulty hot tub caused deadly 2015 fire

I'm not disputing that a licensed electrical contractor is a good idea, but I've been a licensed general contractor since 1979 and I can't begin to count the number of times licensed contractors have screwed up on my projects.

Just because you hire a licensed contractor doesn't mean that the worker assigned is knowledgable. Many times the licensed contractor hires the cheapest laborer who owns a Wiggins.

Are they not called a Wiggy?

joshuajim
Explorer II
Explorer II
flat_twin wrote:
I retired as a telco technician and did some electrical work over the years and hadn't heard of a "Wiggins" either.

It's kind of old like me, patented in 1918 by George P. Wigginton
RVing since 1995.

flat_twin
Explorer
Explorer
I retired as a telco technician and did some electrical work over the years and hadn't heard of a
"Wiggins" either. We used small Triplett 310 analog volt/ohm meter.

However I do know who Miss Wiggins is...

joshuajim
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Wherever you go, there you are?

Oh, I don't know...

Back in the 60's you could go places that didn't exist but never get there. 🙂
RVing since 1995.

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
When I read "Wiggins" I just assumed that's what men were calling their "Johnsons" these days.

kellertx5er
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
Here's a very good reason why it's a good idea to hire a qualified electrician to do the work.

California officials: Faulty hot tub caused deadly 2015 fire

Nowhere in the article does it say WHO did the wiring for the hot tub. Could very well have been a 'qualified' licensed electrician. Could have been a plumber. Doesn't say.

Don't see the relevance in this post.
Keller TX
'19 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L
'09 Outback Sydney 321FRL 5er
SUPPORT TEXAS STATE PARKS

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
I grew up in the electrical business and worked in it for over 45 years and monument and Wiggins has me baffled. At 74 years old I decided $370 to renew my license wasn't worth it. $70 for license renewal and $300 for two days of continuing education.

One of my pet peeves is someone calling linemans pliers, Kleins, as in "hand me your Kleins." I know what he means, but Klein makes many tools.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Wherever you go, there you are? Criminy I'd hate to see a discussion of the merits of the BORG. 26,668 responses?

Building-Contractor grade cost-spec shaving is more than a little stupid when it comes to adding an RV receptacle. All of the receptacles in my RV park had TEN GAUGE 20-amp spec duplex and SIX GAUGE 30-amp receptacles.

Ohgodplease do not refer to the Barnum & Bailey grade upcoming November Nightmare. I predict 46 global leader heart attacks from either laughter or terror.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:

I give up.. what's a Wiggins?

If you have to ask, you need to hire a professional.

sorry... just couldn't resist. 🙂
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

joshuajim
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
FORTY SIX RESPONSES!

Are we there yet?

It depends upon what the meaning of "there" is :B
RVing since 1995.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer