affordable solar tracker

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi folks,

This looks of interest.

dual axis solar tracker
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
9 REPLIES 9

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I still think there are a lot of old C band satellite dishes out there with mounts that would be perfect.
-- Chris Bryant

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
From my own contraption experience, the need for single vs dual depends on the contraption orientation. You can have a floppy or a twirler.

Floppy

Twirler

I found that the floppy's tilted up angle could be left alone so all you need do is flop it, but that the twirler needs to be tilted up more when facing SE or SW and lowered for facing S mid-day.

If the twirler is not tilted up and down as required like that, then it gets fewer AH/day than the floppy single axle.

The hard part making a floppy is to get the bottom end up high enough off the ground so it can flop, which means the top end has to be quite high so the panel is tilted.

The twirler if mounted at ground level on grass, needs a loose string across the top so birds (robins mostly) don't perch there and poop down the panels.

Both contraptions only need to be moved three times a day: at dusk to SE, late morning to S, and mid- afternoon to SW (when noon is 1pm) Paying for an automatic system would only be necessary IMO if you were away from your rig most of the day.

I found it was no trouble to move the contraption if there, and if going to be away, then just moved it ahead of time or left it there until return depending on timing.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Eco-worthy has a single axis tracker.

click
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Or this,
I see no need for dual axis
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1KW-solar-tracker-solar-tracking-system-single-Axis-Complete-Kit-sunlight-tr...
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Saw those. What about in use?
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a cool device to track the solar panels on your house.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Thanks Mr. Wizard.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MrWizard
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
PICTURES !
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350