cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aftermarket heated steering wheel?

As I get older I find my hands get cold very easily, and take longer to warm up...

An ongoing thing for years has been the steering wheel in my truck. In minus 20's and 30's it is like hanging onto a frozen steel signpost.

If I could afford a new ride, I'd buy one with a heated steering wheel, but that option is not there for me. My truck is a 2007 so the heated wheel option did not exist at that time.

I have looked at the aftermarket ideas but all I can seem to find is a hokey cover thing you put over the wheel and plug in before you drive. This is not what I want or am looking for. A poor fitting wheel cover is unsafe for proper handling. I want something proper that heats the wheel as I drive.

Obviously, the wire dangling there cannot be used when driving.

Has anyone ever seen some kind of heated wheel accessory with a rotational power source that does not interfere with driving?

I'd love to add this to my truck to stop my hands from being so cold. I detest wearing gloves when I drive, I find they get in the way and I have less control of steering. I actually hate gloves in general. I like to be able to feel things with my bare hands.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
23 REPLIES 23

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wear regular gloves until the truck inside warms up. YEP works for me. My cloth seats are wonderfully warm and cozy. No electric or heated seats to fail and no leather to maintain.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
thomasmnile wrote:
While the heated seats aren't much value here in Florida, the cooling feature is a Godsend!!! I too used to pooh pooh them until we bought a Highlander equipped with them. No more sweaty back and rump.:C

Real men don't buy leather seats either, no leather = no sweating in the summer nor icy cold in the winter :B

Had a car with leather seats, hated that leather, may as well had 1970's vinyl seats (freeze in the winter and get first degree burns in the heat of the summer).. At least the 1970's vinyl outlasted that cheap thin leather cover the OEMs use.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
While the heated seats aren't much value here in Florida, the cooling feature is a Godsend!!! I too used to pooh pooh them until we bought a Highlander equipped with them. No more sweaty back and rump.:C

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Since the steering wheel in my truck isn’t heated, and the boss’s ‘stang has one, I tell her that heated steering wheels are for girls. 😛

I used to tell her that heated and cooled seats were for girls too, until I got my current truck that has them. :B

:):)

:R Let’s Go Girls! 😛 (End of quote)
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Lance 1121-Two Awnings, Slide topper, 3.6 kw Gen, Trimetric Batt. Monitor, 1500W Inverter, 40A Redarc DC-DC charger. 2016 F450 6.7 PSD.
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Buy some rechargeable heated gloves.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
JimK-NY wrote:
How about battery-powered gloves? They heat up quickly and can be used when not driving. Or maybe just driving gloves that are already warm?
X-2
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have looked into this multiple times over the yrs as DW has Raynauds Disease which is an over active reaction to heat or cold (mainly cold for her) that instantly shuts off blood flow to hands, feet and other extremities.. Very painful.

There are aftermarket covers that have a 12V coiled cord which might be helpful if you can figure out exactly how to wind it around so it doesn't interfere with steering function. But I suspect the idea is to plug them in to warm the wheel and then unplug before driving.

Found HERE

At one time I did run into a rechargeable battery powered cover, not sure where I seen that.

One concern we have had with adding these covers is they make a steering wheel that is already over large even larger which for my DW would make gripping the wheel with a cover harder. Most likely not a issue for one with big hands.

Something we have found helpful has been battery powered heated glove liners that can be worn inside of your gloves. Very lightweight and can be worn with or without a glove covering them. Expensive but they do work a treat!

You can find the glove liners HERE

They do also sell heated gloves if you prefer..

Note, be very aware with heated gloves or glove liners, there are cheap ones for $70, they are cheap for a reason. We struggled to get them last more than one or two winters and then they would randomly quit or partially heat a couple of fingers.

The ones in the link so far have had much better life.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about battery-powered gloves? They heat up quickly and can be used when not driving. Or maybe just driving gloves that are already warm?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Without spending a LOT of money, your best alternative is a $50 or less Heated steering wheel cover that plugs into your 12 volt system. That will get the wheel warm enough so once you start driving it should not get too cold once it is removed. Or, do what I did for my daughter when she was posted to North Pole Alaska. I installed a subfreezing kit on her Jeep wrangler(Hard top) that included a block heater, a Battery Heater and a small interior heater under the dash between the front seats all 120 volt. The Interior heater kept all components of the interior very warm. Just get the Interior heater. Doug