cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Conditioner runs but won't cool

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
We have a brand new coleman mach 8 cub and an rv comfort hc coleman mach 7330g335 thermostat. The AC fan runs on both low and high and responds to the thermostat but the air won't cool. For whatever reason the compressor won't kick on. I've checked the yellow wire and made sure it's got a good connection at both the thermostat and at the control box on the AC itself.

It's brand new so we're taking it back for a warranty once we return but we're traveling back through the heatwave in the southwest so I'd like to try to get it working.
17 REPLIES 17

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
finally got it. between switching the two lines on controller board and running a new yellow wire for the compressor to the controller board it worked. thank god, the way home will be MUCH better now.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
adambeck7 wrote:
yellow wire has power leaving the thermostat but not when it reaches the controller box...

The yellow wire is open somewhere. USE the unused white wire and connect it instead of the yellow. Also, cut the spade terminal OFF at the AC control box and test the yellow again. Sometimes, they crimp and the insulation stops the copper to spade connection. Or they neglected to strip the yellow before crimping. Doug

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
yellow wire has power leaving the thermostat but not when it reaches the controller box...

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
You're awesome Doug. Thanks. I'll grab a 12v circuit tester and post back.I'll post a pic of the t-stat wiring too. I'm a little color blind so it's tough for me to tell.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
adambeck7 wrote:
Doug, no LED's but here's two pics of the board itself and the wiring diagram. within the compressor relay the "NO" (black wire) had power but the "COM" (Purple wire) did not.

The BLACK is the 120 hot feed to the AC board. The Purple goes to the start capacitors. That black box is the relay that CLOSES to supply 120 power to the purple wire. So, If you have it set for COOL and no 120 power to the Purple wire, then the odds are the wiring between the tstat and the control board is open or miswired. It is extremely RARE for a wall tstat to be bad, it is 99% the wiring. It takes 12 volt power to close that compressor relay. In the shop, I would apply 12 volt power to the "Y" spade and see if the relay closes. Before that, I would check for 12 volts on the "Y" feed wire from the tstat. Doug

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
Doug, no LED's but here's two pics of the board itself and the wiring diagram. within the compressor relay the "NO" (black wire) had power but the "COM" (Purple wire) did not.

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
i'll give that shot doug, thanks.

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't work shorting the freeze thermistor didn't help. Don't have a 12v circuit tester.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Unplug it and jump across the terminals- won't hurt anything. That is where the sensor is supposed to be.
You can also check to see if the yellow wire has 12 volts on it (while calling for cool)- if not, it's in the thermostat or t-stat wiring.
-- Chris Bryant

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
mchero wrote:
Any LED lights on the control board? If so flashing or steady?

You have to remove the control board cover to see any LED lights. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
adambeck7 wrote:
i'm tempted to short the leads on the freeze thermistor to see if it works but i don't want to void the warranty or give the impression i am the reason it's not working...

The Thermister is installed correctly. Shorting the 2 pins where the Thermister connects will not void your warranty. It takes a few seconds to do that test. just unplug the 2 spades and jump between them. It is NOT 120 volts, it is low voltage dc current. Doug

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
i'm tempted to short the leads on the freeze thermistor to see if it works but i don't want to void the warranty or give the impression i am the reason it's not working...

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't install the unit but found the freeze thermistor, it's connected to the control board on the other end is just jammed between the fins on the condenser, I was guessing that's not correct but let me know otherwise.

mchero, no lights on the control board I could see from my vantage point. I can try to pull it out completely tomorrow and check. it seemed like the tabs to pull it out didn't want to release and they would break off if I tried to remove it.