cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air conditioner supply shortage?

Ramblin__Rosie
Explorer
Explorer
Our AC (A Coleman 48204C866) is apparently pulling too much current from the generator, causing the generator to cut off. Out repair shop recommends a replacement, but said that they cannot get one for us, due to a shortage. Has anyone else had a problem getting new AC units.

It looks like the Coleman 48203B876 Mach 3 Plus 13.5K unit would be a good replacement model.
Cartersville, Georgia
2007 Winnebago Outlook 31C Class C
(Chevy 6.0L 6000 Vortec Chassis)
19 REPLIES 19

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:
This is only the beginning. Try to go to Wal-Mart and buy a bicycle (or any bike store really) Hand sanitizer anyone? Generally lots of items are just "out of stock" right now. Yeah they're available but not at normal retail prices! IMO, Craigslist and EBAY
are still good sources but YOU MUST CONFIRM AVAILABILITY and have it be acceptable (to you) before you plop down your $$$$.

Chum lee

Or above ground pools, trampolines, fishing gear, plastic toys, fitness equipment, kayaks/canoes, basically anything made in China and a good bit of stuff made in the good ole USA is MIA also. Firearms and ammo? Good luck with the search. Even on Amazon the product page may say "in stock". The shipping confirmation email may come late or not at all. Its like shooting *****.

This forum censors the word cra_ps? LOL. Software designed for 5 yr olds.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
If it's a start issue do you have a soft start on it? Is it the A/C or a generator issue?
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
Bicycles are high demand, both for recreation and exercise

My local 99cent store has hand sanitizer
Assorted sizes

So, . . . . what is it with you? Of course bicycles are "in high demand" right now. . . . . because there is no manufacturing/assembly/shipping of new parts/products. A shortage! THAT'S MY POINT! (my neighbor just GAVE me a used bicycle for free. It needs some work) I know the 99 cent store now stocks hand sanitizer, but at 3 times the 2.1.2020 price. That's my point.

The reason you can't buy a new rooftop AC unit for your MH (from normal sources) RIGHT NOW is because they are out of stock. THATS MY POINT! Are you the only one who doesn't get it?

OK, flame suit on, delete the post and ban me for speaking the truth.

Chum lee

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
I must have gotten lucky when I ordered my new Coleman a/c unit in mid May. I received it in about 1 week with no problems.
Just say no to the payload police :C

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
3 tons wrote:
Though you don’t state the running amps, either way your genny problem may in fact get resolved by adding a soft-start (or competing brand easy start - both are SCR devices) to your air conditioner, in lieu of the OEM start capacitor...Sounds like your tech didn’t offer this as a possible solution...

Sounds more like the "Tech" didn't FEEL like "dealing" with the A/C or perhaps customer?

OP may have made a "one and done" rant post..

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Though you don’t state the running amps, either way your genny problem may in fact get resolved by adding a soft-start (or competing brand easy start - both are SCR devices) to your air conditioner, in lieu of the OEM start capacitor...Sounds like your tech didn’t offer this as a possible solution...

MrWizard
Bicycles are high demand, both for recreation and exercise

My local 99cent store has hand sanitizer
Assorted sizes
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
This is only the beginning. Try to go to Wal-Mart and buy a bicycle (or any bike store really) Hand sanitizer anyone? Generally lots of items are just "out of stock" right now. Yeah they're available but not at normal retail prices! IMO, Craigslist and EBAY
are still good sources but YOU MUST CONFIRM AVAILABILITY and have it be acceptable (to you) before you plop down your $$$$.

Chum lee

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
midnightsadie wrote:
theres 5 on e bay new,, just my .02cts something about your dealer sounds fishy. looked on amazon theres some more.
Apparently is fake news.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
What generator?
Start issue or running issue?
So the 20 amp breaker doesn’t trip but the generator overloads?
Did the start cap get tested?
What was the amp draw measured?
And no, I don’t buy the shortage issue.

OK, I guess you have some other insight into no shortages? Well, I DO have the Insight.
1. For over 2 years prior to Covid 19 was a historical BOOM for RV sales.
2. Due to that BOOM, AC's both Dometic and Coleman were in short supply for the OEM's. RVP worse than Dometic. So, OEM's that were usually using 1 AC maker had to go to other AC makers. Since Dometic and RVP were the only real makers able to supply the OEM's in bulk, they had to start using BOTH Dometic and RVP to get enough units for production
3. RVP was hit hardest as they did not have the capacity to fill orders to OEM's and those OEM's started mixing Dometic and RVP to get enough units
4. That meant for almost 2 years RVP had just enough units to supply the OEM's and very few for Retail sales AND very few to send out under warranty. Warranty replacements took precedence over retail sales. At some points over this time, It took us up to 2 weeks to get replacement Warranty upper units, even tho we were 275 miles from Wichita. So, RVP started to allow Service Centers to get replacements from our local Distributors to get them faster, but that caused the Distributors to then run out of units that would be earmarked for retail thru dealers.
5. Once Covid 19 shut down the oEM's, RVP had to shut down also. Once the OEM's started up again, RVP had to gear up to start supplying units which caused another shortage
6. Dometic builds in China, so they had no problem building units if they needed too.
7. Prior to Covid 19, There have been RV refer shortages, both Norcold and Dometic. Toilet and Toilet LID shortages. ENTRY door shortages on Towables. Other shortages also. At one time 2 years ago, Jayco had over 250 towables on their storage lot waiting for entrance doors. Doug

A1RVTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Your repair shop is correct. I have been looking for a new Coleman AC unit for a few weeks and there is not one to be found. People that say they have one really don't. They are placing your order on back order and hoping to drop ship one from a distributor.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
On our 06 Outlook, the generator is an Onan 4000 KY......, Which I think was pretty much Winnebago's standard for c-class of that vintage.
What's happening to cut the generator off? Generator still runs, but trips the breaker ON THE GENERATOR! Maybe just a weak breaker on the generator. On mine, the breaker started tripping on a heavier load and finally could not be reset, the breaker handle just flips from side to side, no tension. The generator runs fine but no power because of the breaker.
For 12+ years, the Onan would run everything in the coach. Then the A/C started tripping the generator breaker.
The Air Conditioning unit still works great on shore power, kept my interior at 70F this past July (90-100F), no shade.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
What generator?
Start issue or running issue?
So the 20 amp breaker doesn’t trip but the generator overloads?
Did the start cap get tested?
What was the amp draw measured?
And no, I don’t buy the shortage issue.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
When all the OEM's shut down in April, that also meant RVP which are made in Wichita Kansas. So, once the Elkhart Indiana factories started back up, there IS a shortage of RVP AC units as RVP had to start back up also and start producing units. There is a shortage of all appliances due to the Covid 19 problem. Doug

X2 on the home fridges and appliances shortages!

Right now folks better hope that none of their home appliances quit, difficult to find any store that can order fridges.. Most are selling only what they had in their warehouses and as they run out, you are out of luck..

Heck even something as simple as buying Diet MT Dew or Diet Coke it is getting difficult to find some versions and brands in stores right now..