cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ALLISON 2000mh TRANNY PROBLEM, HELP!!!

Gypsy1
Explorer
Explorer
I run a 02" Winny Journey pushed by Cummins ISB 275, Allison 2000MH tranny. A month ago my VP-44 injector pump started throwing a check engine light and code. I took it to a shop and it turned out that I needed a new lift pump and the VP-44 high pressure pump. Some how the techs managed to do something to my Allison that caused the check trans light to come on and it would not reset when the ignition was recycled. I suppose the Allison was in "LIMP" mode because it would not do more than 45 mph and ran as though the torque converter was not locking up. Waiting for the opportunity to get it in the Allison shop in Atlanta. They said it was not electrical as most of their problems often are. Anyone have a clue what might cause the problem ?????
Winny, Journey WKP32T, Cummins ISB 275 HP, Allison 2000MH, 5 speed Auto, Raptor Air Dog fuel pump, towing 2012 Nisson Xterra 4X4 Auto W/ drive shaft disconnect!
25 REPLIES 25

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the follow up.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Kind of a sad story in a way.

I hate to have anything go in a shop.

However good follow up on your OP.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A commendably well-done report.

Gypsy1
Explorer
Explorer
For those more interested in Allison problems than spell checkers, here is what the problem was.

This "Allison" problem was actually a comedy of errors not directly related to the Allison. Here goes!

Took to W.W. Williams in Atlanta GA., and had computer diagnostics run, they determined that codes and initial testing indicated the VP44 injector pump was defective and the lift pump was inoperative, and data link to transmission was not communicating.

Apparently when the lift pump dies the V44 will continue to supply the engine by providing a suction on the the fuel line. In doing so it literally destroys itself in the process. If I had replaced the lift pump ($60) when the first code was thrown, I probably would have saved the V44 pump ($2500-4000). I have since installed a electric fuel pressure gauge on the output side of the fuel filter to warn me if lift pump fails. I also replaced cheap OEM lift pump with a Rapter after market lift pump. ($280) The Rapter maintains 15 PSI/ 10psi WOT to injector pump which relies on fuel for lubrication.

During the install of the V44 the tech pulled loose the data link cable which was then burned on the manifold, and the same tech apparently used a water hose to clean the pump area after install. Water got into a terminal resister on the end of the data link cable causing the trans light code.
Winny, Journey WKP32T, Cummins ISB 275 HP, Allison 2000MH, 5 speed Auto, Raptor Air Dog fuel pump, towing 2012 Nisson Xterra 4X4 Auto W/ drive shaft disconnect!

Gypsy1
Explorer
Explorer
After having a VP44 pump and lift pump installed on my 02" Journey at Turbo Diesel and Electric in Macon GA. I suddenly had a data link electrical problem which caused my trans check light to come on and the tranny went to "limp" mode. They did not have Allison software and denied that they caused the problem. Spent almost a thousand dollars at Middle GA Freightliner for diagnostics of data link problem that they could not find. (See RV Reveiws.Com) GA for whole story. Check Middle Georgia Freightliner and also Turbo Diesel Electric. AVOID THESE TWO SERVICE SHOPS, in MACON GA.!!!

Now for the GOOD part of this story, I called W. W. Williams, Atlanta after getting screwed over by the fore mentioned company's, and they fit me in within three days, called me back almost daily status, provided a detailed cost estimate of not only what I brought the MH there for but also other things the found. They almost immediately found the data link problem, within one hour! Dropped the pan on my Allison found dirt in pan, cleaned/flushed housing, removed and overhauled the valve body, replaced some internal parts and internal harness due to age, replaced pan gasket, internal filter, refilled it with TES-295 and changed external filter. They determined the problem I had with check light and limp mode was due to a part of the data link harness was pulled loose and burned/shorted the cable when it came in contact with hot manifold probably at Turbo Diesel during the pump install. In addition they found a resistor end at another part of the cable had water in it, also probably done at Turbo Diesel Electric when they washed down the engine with water to get fuel they spilled on it.

These guys did a great job

Gypsy1
Explorer
Explorer
So far W.W. Williams Allison Service Center, Atlanta, has diagnosed a failure in the valve body. I assume they are rebuilding the valve body, it will cost me about three grand. They have indicated the top side of the trans is ok. Only 82k on 02" but they think a previous owner may have let it sit, will get more info next week. At least i am getting answers from these folk, they seem to be top flight.

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG knows what the proplem is, he is wery smart, but he won't tell.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Awaiting the "fix" ๐Ÿ™‚

Gypsy1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all that have shown interest in my ALLISON problem. For those that care to hijack the post, I hope you will refrain and get serious about assisting other RVers needing help.

azpete
Explorer
Explorer
geez, give it a rest. lots of folks make mistakes, they dont get nailed to the wall because of a spelling mistake. everyone knew what the op meant. everyone like a smart person, no one likes a smart ??? you dont make yourself look good by making someone else look bad.
you see this on every site. must be that someone has nothing else to contribute.
must be an english major

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Now now...

What good does micro-nibbling do? It serves as a direct and very rude put-down of someone. A mere correct spelling sans comment usually gets the point across.

But weigh the intelligence of someone who wastes time chasing an OP away from a forum which leaves a valid question hanging.

RV-1_2n-FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Don't even have a Cummings or Allisun and I want to no!!! :W

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
me three

PaulJ2
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Don't know about everyone else...

But I'd like to learn how this turns out - what the problem was and the fix.

Me too.