cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aluminum Siding Repair

RTQuig
Explorer
Explorer
Today, while winterizing my travel trailer, I noticed a hole in the aluminum siding. It is one piece top to bottom. It appears to have been hit by something, could have been a stone from the lawn mower or possibly someone threw something at it, I don't know.
The break in the aluminum is approx. 1 1/2" to 2". I cut a piece of a rubber sealant tape that will keep the weather out for the winter.
Is there a way to repair this hole/slit. or is a factory repair? It is right where a side decal is. You can fit a razor blade in the hole, it is very small.
2010 Chevy Silverado
4X4 crew cab, short bed
31' tracer, travel light series
6 REPLIES 6

RTQuig
Explorer
Explorer
They all sound like good suggestions. Epoxy would work, and the fiberglass would also I would think. I'll have to check out whether a reflector of something along those lines would work. I will also see if it is possible to get a replacement decal which would cover any patch.

Thanks guys.
2010 Chevy Silverado
4X4 crew cab, short bed
31' tracer, travel light series

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Fiberglass repair kit. One layer of cloth with resin. Pretty much transparent.
Currently Between RVs

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If it's in a suitable location, just put a reflector over it.

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
In the โ€œMaking lemonade out of lemonsโ€ department -
Is it possible that the damaged area is a nice place to install a light, a speaker, a bracket for something or some other enhancement that you always wanted?
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

Depending where the damage is, top to bottom of the rig, it can be a real chore to replace.
Everything the siding touches has to be removed, windows, door, other stuff etc. The siding starts at the top and is installed from the top down, the last piece goes to the bottom and frequently has a 90 degree bend where it goes under to be stapled on.
If it can be disguised with a sticker or the decal you mentioned, easier to do that.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you mean invisibly repair? I don't know of one. But you can use clear epoxy after lightly sanding the area right around the hole. If you are careful and apply a minimal amount the repair should be invisible from any distance. If the hole is in a solidly colored area you could apply a tiny amount of paint (maybe model paint in one of those small bottles).
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper