cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

analog to digital thermostat conversion

woodland_park
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 2012 Woodland Park Signature Series park model that has an analog thermostat in it,(unknown manufacturer), and I'd like to convert to digital. The dealer stated the following,"We cant use digital thermostats because there is no common wire to supply constant power for digital thermostats. We've tried multiple different thermostats claiming you don't need a common wire but it doesn't work".I have a Coleman/airexcel model 46413-813 A/C unit and an Atwood 8900-111 series gas heater.I usually don't have the breaker on for the A/C unit till I need it, but leaving it on isn't a problem if it somehow figures into the "constant power" referenced above.Everything is working fine, but I'd just like to go with a digital thermostat. Is the dealer correct?
8 REPLIES 8

Fubeca
Explorer
Explorer
It really shouldn't matter if it is a DC or AC system should it? All of the AC systems in a bricks and sticks home can use some form of a digital thermostat.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP has a Park Model....they don't have DC System/ALL AC powered
OP has a Coleman Model 46413-813 A/C unit.....120V AC Unit
OP has a Atwood 8900-iii series....which come in 120V AC versions

Just saying......
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Our $20 Honeywell 7-day programmable stats came from Home Depot.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm guessing here, but I think we need to know if you HVAC system, the Coleman A/C + the Atwood Furnace, are being run like an RV (on 12VDC) or like a house (24VAC Transformer).

Have you looked at the back of the thermostat? Like How Many Wires? Which Colors? Any Terminals Marked? Any extra wires, not connected? Their Colors?

Can you post pix of both sides of the thermostat?

The chart linked from Makarios RV, presumes you know the T'Stat is a Coleman, and you can ID its number. Probably not too helpful unless you find a number or somebody recognizes yours from a picture and can provide that number.

BUT!!! Still call or email Makarios. I needed a part, for something totally unrelated to HVAC and T'Stat's. They sourced it for me, for free. By that I mean I didn't buy anything from them, their help was free and spot on, and the part (from another supplier) was exactly what I needed, free, and promptly delivered.

If Makarios can put you in a Coleman Digital T'Stat for $50 like the one I tracked from their example, that's a very good price. Basic home T'Stat's are around that price. WalMart used to have a $20 Honeywell that a lot of us used in our 12VDC-controlled HVAC, but I think it's not only no longer carried at WM, but also discontinued by Honeywell. Maybe too many of us were having too much fun going digital for $20!
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
those dealers sure do know their stuff. :S

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is a Coleman T-stat information guide.....what you have vs what will replace it

https://www.makariosrv.com/content/Makarios%20RV%20Coleman%20Thermostat%20How%20To%20Replacement%20G...

Your A/C Unit, t-stat and furnace are all 120V AC (park model vs DC RV Model)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
He doesn't know what he's doing.
The digital stat hooks up and works just like any home unit does. It will not use the constant power source that RV stats usually do.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
No. Many dts are powered by their own batteries.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman